Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Check Clutch Wear - Engine out but clutch still installed
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidw99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:46 am    Post subject: Check Clutch Wear - Engine out but clutch still installed Reply with quote

Hello,

Is it possible to check clutch wear with the clutch still installed on the engine, engine out of car? I'm having a hard time visualizing the edge of the clutch disk. Wondering if it is possible or if there some info I'm missing.

'73 Saturn Yellow Sports Bug that has undergone a full pan off restoration. "Herbert IV."

'67 Sedan. "Bellamy." Currently being "refreshed" and recently repainted.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Check Clutch Wear - Engine out but clutch still installed Reply with quote

Remove the pressure plate grab the clutch disc and using an 8mm open end wrench should just fit the thickness. This has worked for years. You can clean it and the flywheel with brake cleaner or lacquer thinner, don’t forget to lube the gland nut and you’ll need a line up tool to put it back together, those bolts get 18 ft lbs take em down evenly. Use a screwdriver for a flywheel lock.
davidw99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Check Clutch Wear - Engine out but clutch still installed Reply with quote

I was hoping to avoid that by getting a "peek" at the edge of the clutch disc but, as I have the engine out of the car, I guess I'll do as you suggest. Thank you.

'73 Saturn Yellow Sports Bug that has undergone a full pan off restoration. "Herbert IV."

Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Check Clutch Wear - Engine out but clutch still installed Reply with quote

davidw99 wrote:
I was hoping to avoid that by getting a "peek" at the edge of the clutch disc but, as I have the engine out of the car, I guess I'll do as you suggest. Thank you.

You already have the motor out. Literally takes another 10-15 minutes to pull the pressure plate and check the clutch and bolt it back together. I have an old shaft from another trans that I use as my clutch alignment tool. Easy peasy.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Check Clutch Wear - Engine out but clutch still installed Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
davidw99 wrote:

You already have the motor out. Literally takes another 10-15 minutes to pull the pressure plate and check the clutch and bolt it back together. I have an old shaft from another trans that I use as my clutch alignment tool. Easy peasy.

And you get to peek at gland nut every once in awhile the bearing goes south, it would be good to catch that early at very least you can relube it.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Check Clutch Wear - Engine out but clutch still installed Reply with quote

Yeah it's literally what, 6 bolts, and the pressure plate is off.

You may find a flywheel lock handy for torquing the pressure plate bolts back to spec when re-installing.

Also you want to loosen the pressure plate bolts in a cross-wise pattern and evenly so as not to warp the pressure plate. I may be a bit over-cautious about that but I like to do about 1 turn of each bolt in a cross-wise pattern until all the spring tension is relieved.

Same for re-installation.

For reinstalling you will want to have handy one of those clutch alignment tools that all the VW stores sell for a couple bucks.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Check Clutch Wear - Engine out but clutch still installed Reply with quote

Definitely check the ling thickness and for and oil film on the disc, pressure plate, or flywheel while you're so close !!!

sjbartnik wrote:
For reinstalling you will want to have handy one of those clutch alignment tools that all the VW stores sell for a couple bucks.

About a decade ago when I couldn't find my alignment tool, I wrapped duct tape to build up the diameter of a dowel that fit into the flywheel gland nut.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Yes, I've since found the alignment tool, and some nice long-forgotten soul here sent me a couple of transmission shafts to use as alignment tools. But I also remember cutting off a piece of broom handle and whittling the end small enough to fit into the gland nut.

Last Sunday, I used one of those transmission shafts to align as I installed/torqued the pressure plate, engine slipped right in, no helper needed or available.

Yes, if one does not have a flywheel lock, a large screwdriver wedged in the flywheel teeth can prevent the flywheel from turning. Another trick would be to wedge a VW lug bolt wrench between gear teeth and the cylinder head stud.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
davidw99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Check Clutch Wear - Engine out but clutch still installed Reply with quote

Thank you all. I'll take care of it this weekend.

bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Check Clutch Wear - Engine out but clutch still installed Reply with quote

a breaker bar on the pulley nut can also be used to hold the engine from turning when doing clutch work.

Please mark the clutch so it is remounted in same position. often the flywheel,is balanced with the clutch, so put it back the same way for best results.

also while the motor is out, check the crank endplay, just because you can

Good Luck, Bug On, With Smart Shifting!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Check Clutch Wear - Engine out but clutch still installed Reply with quote

Yes, any time the engine is out, do the following:
1) Check crank endplay and record it in a log.
2) Check clutch lining thickness.
3) Check the TO bearing and mounts.
4) Make sure there is thick grease in the pilot bearing, but not too much.
5) Check your starter bushing.
6) Check your axle boots, and make sure your tranny fill plug is easily removed.
7) Do any general cleanup and inspection of rubber parts, wiring and tinware while you have easy access.

These are impossible or a PITA with the engine in place, so make life easy and do this stuff now.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Check Clutch Wear - Engine out but clutch still installed Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Yes, any time the engine is out, do the following:
1) Check crank endplay and record it in a log.
2) Check clutch lining thickness.
3) Check the TO bearing and mounts.
4) Make sure there is thick grease in the pilot bearing, but not too much.
5) Check your starter bushing.
6) Check your axle boots, and make sure your tranny fill plug is easily removed.
7) Do any general cleanup and inspection of rubber parts, wiring and tinware while you have easy access.

These are impossible or a PITA with the engine in place, so make life easy and do this stuff now.

I don't typically do #1 (Check crank endplay and record it in a log) Last week on my 1970 I left the flywheel installed.

I would add
Cool Grease the clutch cable threads
9) Check condition of the flexible fuel line coming from the pan tube
10) Check rear motor mounts
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
davidw99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Check Clutch Wear - Engine out but clutch still installed Reply with quote

Numbers:

1 - hadn't thought about this, will do

2 - will do

3 - checks ok

4 - also, hadn't thought about this, will do

5 - replaced

6 - replaced

7 - done

8 - done

9 - old one gone, new one to be installed along with new firewall grommet

10 - replaced along with front

Also, engine compartment seals replaced and missing engine cooling tin to be installed.

mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Check Clutch Wear - Engine out but clutch still installed Reply with quote

This is also the perfect time to do a really good cleanup of the engine bay, fix any wiring issues for tail&backup lights, replace firewall insulation, replace leaky swingaxle boots, check the transaxle output shaft seal, replace the starter bushing, rebuild/refresh the starter....
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Check Clutch Wear - Engine out but clutch still installed Reply with quote

davidw99 wrote:
Also, engine compartment seals replaced and missing engine cooling tin to be installed.

I replaced my 1970's engine seals for first time last year; they were harder than a teenager in the 1960s seeing his first Ann-Margret movie !
davidw99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Check Clutch Wear - Engine out but clutch still installed Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
davidw99 wrote:

I replaced my 1970's engine seals for first time last year; they were harder than a teenager in the 1960s seeing his first Ann-Margret movie !

Good analogy! Mine were the same.

gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Check Clutch Wear - Engine out but clutch still installed Reply with quote

({I replaced my 1970's engine seals for first time last year; they were harder than a teenager in the 1960s seeing his first Ann-Margret movie !})
Cusser I had an electronics instructor whom compared electronic associated stuff to sex. Did you ever teach??

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Check Clutch Wear - Engine out but clutch still installed Reply with quote

I had a junior high school electronics teacher back in the early 70s who was very naïve and didn't know why the whole class was laughing hysterically when he instructed us on the art of soldering: "A tight connection is a necessary prerequisite to a proper joint."

Last edited by KTPhil on Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Check Clutch Wear - Engine out but clutch still installed Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
Cusser I had an electronics instructor whom compared electronic associated stuff to sex. Did you ever teach??

No, never taught electronics, but know the difference between male and female terminals.

Never taught banking either, but know that early withdrawal results in loss of interest !
davidw99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: Check Clutch Wear - Engine out but clutch still installed Reply with quote

OK, I checked the clutch and it looks almost brand new. A Brazilian-made SACHS rigid disc. Everything else under the pressure plate checks out good, too. It was easy. Glad I did it. Thanks everyone.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: