Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Towing a motorcycle trailer (brakes or no brakes)
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Towing a motorcycle trailer (brakes or no brakes) Reply with quote

Now that I seem to have figured out my power issues (only took 5 years) and upgraded the transmission to a 5-speed with improved internals, I am ready to look at towing my BMW R1200RT behind us. The bike weighs approximately 500 lbs - possibly 550 with all the luggage attached.
The van has 16" rims and 215/70R16's so my stock brakes are fine but nearing their limits. I figure adding the trailer and bike will add another 800 lbs at least, not to mention the kayak and other related camping gear, I'd really like to have a trailer with brakes.
Trouble is, I can't find a motorcycle trailer with brakes. I am looking at the Kendon https://www.kendonusa.com/product/single-ride-up-srl-stand-up-motorcycle-trailer/ or the Stinger https://www.stingertrailer.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrvuy1vW52QIV0oN-Ch3LZQZ5EAAYASAAEgLeIPD_BwE because they fold up nicely and offer easy loading.

I could build my own but figure by the time I get all the bits and deal with the details, it would be just as much or more cost-wise but it would have brakes. I could also make a rack that would carry the kayak over or beside the bike - allowing me to get it off of the roof.

Just putting this out there for opinions or any links to small trailers with brakes.

Thanks,
Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Towing a motorcycle trailer (brakes or no brakes) Reply with quote

Jim, it is very likely they are using off the shelf axles. We have a shop here in WPB called the Expediter, if you can find out if the trailer axle has the 4 bolt flange at the base of the bearing spindle, the brakes are sold as complete assemblies and bolt to the axle. Here is a link to the Expediter. They have a downloadable pdf searchable catalog. https://www.expediter.com/ They might ship.

World of difference with trailer brakes. I don't currently tow with our vanagon, but have towed my race car on a 2 axle trailer and the tow vehicle actually stops better with the trailer than without.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Towing a motorcycle trailer (brakes or no brakes) Reply with quote

Braking an 800 pound trailer with trailer brakes is overkill. Most states don't require them until 1500 pounds and those regs are conservative.

If you can tell braking difference with an 800 pound trailer either your brakes are no good or the load is horribly unbalanced - get about 150 pounds on the tongue if you can
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing a motorcycle trailer (brakes or no brakes) Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Braking an 800 pound trailer with trailer brakes is overkill. Most states don't require them until 1500 pounds and those regs are conservative.

If you can tell braking difference with an 800 pound trailer either your brakes are no good or the load is horribly unbalanced - get about 150 pounds on the tongue if you can

Abscate, I appreciate the feedback and have much respect for you. I have to ask though if anyone driving a Westy can tell the braking difference between an empty one, and one loaded to the hilt - especially if it has stock brakes and 16" rims. I know I can.

My brakes are in excellent shape and I keep them that way. My fear is having to panic stop (especially in a corner) and have the 800+ lbs push my rear end sideways. Sure, the heavy Van will certainly resist the extra load but if the trailer had brakes, I believe it would be much safer.

I know there are quite a few here that pull trailers with their Westy and would appreciate any feedback from them as well. Certainly not requiring brakes would make finding a trailer much easier.

Mark, thanks for the link - looks like they would have everything I need should I decide to build my own.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing a motorcycle trailer (brakes or no brakes) Reply with quote

that's a pretty light load to have trailer brakes on. finding a balance on the brake controller between no braking and smoking the trailer tires will be a very fine line.

i'd totally go without trailer brakes for towing an RT. but i'm reckless and irresponsible as i drive MCs in the first place. you'll feel the load a bit braking i won't deny, but it'll make you a smoother driver to anticipate. and in a panic stop with trailer brakes i'd worry about the wheels locking and it sliding sideways into traffic. it's all about the load.

-dan
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing a motorcycle trailer (brakes or no brakes) Reply with quote

At #800, I would be surprised if you could fine tune the electric brakes for such a light load. Especially if you did much driving on gravel roads. I would be concerned that if you got them tuned to work on smooth asphalt, you would undoubtedly lock up every time you touched the brakes on loose gravel. Do they make hydraulic trailer brakes that small?

Hans
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing a motorcycle trailer (brakes or no brakes) Reply with quote

What about a mechanical tongue brake?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing a motorcycle trailer (brakes or no brakes) Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
What about a mechanical tongue brake?

Yup, mechanical sounds like a better way to go as it would only brake based on load, not an electrical signal.
I agree that fine tuning electric brakes on an 800 lb trailer would be nearly impossible.

Also, I think 1000 lbs would be a better number to be using just to be conservative. There is a good chance I'll be adding the kayak at 175 (Hobie Mirage 2 person with pedals), the trailer could easily be 350, and I might add a box for the incidentals like life jackets, the kayak cart, etc.

Last edited by Gizmoman on Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing a motorcycle trailer (brakes or no brakes) Reply with quote

Hydraulically damped mechanical surge brakes work very well - but you have to find good donor car rear brake drums. Old Mini rears are excellent for this, I've built a trailer using those and it was very predictable when towing it. Not a hint of snaking or jack-knifing, the only downside was having to stop and disengage the brakes in order to reverse. A m/c trailer is so short though that it's almost impossible to reverse it without it taking far more time (and providing laughs all round) than just unhitching it and doing it by hand. Wink
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing a motorcycle trailer (brakes or no brakes) Reply with quote

How do those “not brake” if you reverse the trailer uphill? Are there two leading shoes? Is there a way to lock it out to reverse?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing a motorcycle trailer (brakes or no brakes) Reply with quote

fxr wrote:
Hydraulically damped mechanical surge brakes work very well - but you have to find good donor car rear brake drums. Old Mini rears are excellent for this, I've built a trailer using those and it was very predictable when towing it. Not a hint of snaking or jack-knifing, the only downside was having to stop and disengage the brakes in order to reverse. A m/c trailer is so short though that it's almost impossible to reverse it without it taking far more time (and providing laughs all round) than just unhitching it and doing it by hand. Wink

Are you referring to old mini vans or actually minis like from Europe?. I think rear spindles from many front wheel drive cars could possibly be candidates. All I need to do now is find a surge brake assembly.
Also, I will probably have a longer tongue than most as I may want to add the kayak.
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing a motorcycle trailer (brakes or no brakes) Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
How do those “not brake” if you reverse the trailer uphill? Are there two leading shoes? Is there a way to lock it out to reverse?

Yes.

Well, the one I have seen on a uhaul trailer was set up with a lockout for reversing uphill.

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
RichBenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: Towing a motorcycle trailer (brakes or no brakes) Reply with quote

Brakes not needed. I`ve had WAY more than you've got and can hardly tell it's there. 1500 lbs, like another said, is the rule in many places.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: Towing a motorcycle trailer (brakes or no brakes) Reply with quote

Gizmoman wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Abscate, I appreciate the feedback and have much respect for you. I have to ask though if anyone driving a Westy can tell the braking difference between an empty one, and one loaded to the hilt - especially if it has stock brakes and 16" rims. I know I can.

My brakes are in excellent shape and I keep them that way. My fear is having to panic stop (especially in a corner) and have the 800+ lbs push my rear end sideways. Sure, the heavy Van will certainly resist the extra load but if the trailer had brakes, I believe it would be much safer.

I know there are quite a few here that pull trailers with their Westy and would appreciate any feedback from them as well. Certainly not requiring brakes would make finding a trailer much easier.

Mark, thanks for the link - looks like they would have everything I need should I decide to build my own.

Your probably matching what I tow with the club boats all summer, about 600-900 pounds total with either Volvo wagons or my T 4

A surge brake ( mechanically activated) is what you want if you want more brake power..it's a hydraulic master cylinder connected to the tow hitch that auto regulates the brake pressure.

But...panic stops with trailers end badly. I've never used an ABS trailer brake , expensive I bet, but that's what you would need

I tow a big boat to the Cape three times each summer at 60 with double stopping distance and HESA....highly enhanced sutuational awareness. That rig has a surge double disc brake setup. I've never locked it up, hope I never do,

And get your brakes tip top too, but I get that you are on top of that...well done

Very Happy
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Towing a motorcycle trailer (brakes or no brakes) Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
. . .
I tow a big boat to the Cape three times each summer at 60 with double stopping distance and HESA....highly enhanced situational awareness. That rig has a surge double disc brake setup. I've never locked it up, hope I never do, . . .
Very Happy

"HESA" is a good plan - much less hassle than adding brakes for 1000 lbs or less.
Thanks for all the input folks!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Towing a motorcycle trailer (brakes or no brakes) Reply with quote

FOrgot to add, sorry.

A surge brake can either be locked out with

1:a pin, where you stop, go back, fuss with coupler, then put a pin in to disable the brake for backing..

A drum brake probably won't need to be locked out to backup
A disc brake WILL need to be locked out

or

2: A Reverse brake solenoid, which you wire into the reverse light circuit, which stops braking in reverse from the driver seat. More complicated, electrical stuff, wiring, and another leak point on the hydraulics.

I lock out mine with a pin.
Borg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing a motorcycle trailer (brakes or no brakes) Reply with quote

I built a little trailer to tow my F650 Dakar behind the van, putting a few thousand miles on the set up over the years. Never had any braking issues, even while cruising down Highway 1 from Crescent City to San Luis and back home to Puget Sound.
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing a motorcycle trailer (brakes or no brakes) Reply with quote

I've towed a popup camper on two very long road trips without any braking issues. My Van is an 84 Tin-top with TDI engine. The camper weighs 1200 lbs plus deep cycle battery and propane tank.

On the last road trip, there were four adults and all their luggage (and a dog), including tents and related stuff for side excursions without the camper.

So, I suspect total weight was easily close to 2,000 lbs.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by AndyBees on Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
kevinhinny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing a motorcycle trailer (brakes or no brakes) Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I towed two BMW GS motorcylces (650GS and R1200GS) with stock brakes and it handled fine. Obviously one must take into account the extra weight and dirve accordingly.
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing a motorcycle trailer (brakes or no brakes) Reply with quote

Thanks all for the informative responses!
No trailer brakes it is - with care.

Thank you all.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: