Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Too much rust? Buying my first vw. Need advice
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Too much rust? Buying my first vw. Need advice Reply with quote

Get the tow bar,, you know it won't be the last bug you buy.. Wink
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Too much rust? Buying my first vw. Need advice Reply with quote

Whatever you do, do NOT fly there with the plan of driving the car home. If the plane crashes and all souls aboard perish, you will never forgive yourself.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Too much rust? Buying my first vw. Need advice Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:

To others that suggest driving this car. There are legal responsibilities you take handing advise out. You could be found on the hook for involuntary manslaughter, if this car kills someone due to the brakes.

I’d laugh in someone’s face over this. You’re responsible for you own actions.

If you are laughing in my face, it must be due to realizing you have mispoken. You say it yourself, "You're responsible for you(r) own actions.) Please take several minutes and do a quick search on liability and the dispensing of your free advise. You are RESPONSIBLE for your action(s). That action being telling someone it is safe to drive a car with a breakline in a comprimised state. You need to ALWAYS error on the side of caution when being a person with more knowledge. (I am speculating here, as I may need to withdrawl my previously untarnished opinion of your limited abilities).

I really believe you should rethink that drivel you typed and review your previously written post, as it is a horrible idea with the limited knowledge available, to make a sound decision on the execution of the recovery of this vehicle.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Too much rust? Buying my first vw. Need advice Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
Get the tow bar,, you know it won't be the last bug you buy.. Wink

Agree with this. Once that Bug bites, you never get away from it. I bought my 1st towbar back in 1990. In 1996, vowed to never buy another junk Bug and sold my specialty tools, one of which was the towbar. Fast forward to 2017. Found the current project and needed a towbar to get it home. Wish I had kept the first one. I hate buying a tool twice!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
joshlm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Too much rust? Buying my first vw. Need advice Reply with quote

Ok guys so I’m officially going to make the drive tomorrow to check it out. Wish me luck!
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Too much rust? Buying my first vw. Need advice Reply with quote

Josh,

If you haven't picked up the car PM me. I live in Fresno also, been into VWs for over 40 years, so I can give you pointers. Also have a tow bar you can borrow.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: Too much rust? Buying my first vw. Need advice Reply with quote

There ya go. Good man Multi.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Too much rust? Buying my first vw. Need advice Reply with quote

Well?!? What did you find? Didja get it?

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
joshlm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Too much rust? Buying my first vw. Need advice Reply with quote

I went and looked and decided to take a pass on this one, rust was worse than expected. The search continues!!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Too much rust? Buying my first vw. Need advice Reply with quote

Dont give up. One will show up that you can take care of. You should look into the local JC at the welding classes. May be a skill that you end up using in the future. Nothing wrong with learning something new!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Too much rust? Buying my first vw. Need advice Reply with quote

joshlm wrote:
I went and looked and decided to take a pass on this one, rust was worse than expected. The search continues!!

Great discretion sir! It's often harder to say no than yes.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Too much rust? Buying my first vw. Need advice Reply with quote

I'll echo those before me above:

Keep looking, the right one will come along for you.

And although it can be discouraging/ a let down when you go to look at a car and you have to walk away- remember that you are learning what is and isn't a dealbreaker for you.

I looked at probably 100+ cars thoroughly online speaking with the owners, only looked at probably 8 in person which I though were worth the drive to go see.

Everytime you go and look at one, give it a full evaluation. There were many times as soon as I got underneath the car I knew I was going to walk away, but I still looked at everything on each car. These cars are quirky- combine that with 40+ years of tinkering and 'modification' by the owners and there is a wide variety of things that can be changed by the POs. Some things can be reversed, some cannot.

A more fun way to look at it is: Each beetle you go to look at has something to teach you, discover what that particular beetle wants you to learn.

Maybe it just wants to give you the 'bug fever'
Maybe it wants to show you what a rusted out frame looks like.
Maybe it wants to show you why a shiny 'chrome' air cleaner isn't good for cold engine performance.
Maybe it wants to show you what years of abuse and mistreatment does to the engine.
Maybe it wants to show you what the 'clunk' of bad/excessive end-play feels like.
Maybe it wants to show you that the interior and paint is perfect, but the mechanical works were ignored.
Maybe it wants to show you how sitting in storage for years on end with no exercise can negatively affect a machine.
Maybe it wants to show you what a properly maintained ACVW sounds and looks like (and it'll show you, even though it knows you can't afford to buy it)

Maybe it wants to show you that just because it has multi-color body work, doesn't mean it's not a solid, running, driving car- ready to go (that one is my beetle I bought last year)

The best part of you going to look at as many beetles as you can: when "the one" comes along and you are laying underneath it- you'll know.

My best advice: Keep looking and don't lose heart, you're beetle is out there Cool
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
Subi-Bug619
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Too much rust? Buying my first vw. Need advice Reply with quote

[quote="AlmostHeavenWV_VW"]You're in in the West Coast, specifically Cali, and you found a bug with rust??

As someone who bought a Cali bug, yes, rust does exist. They are mostly found on cars that sit outside by the coast. That salt water and morning marine layer will put rust on the car. I looked through at least 6 different bugs before finding a RUST FREE '74 super. If you want to avoid body work, be patient and a nice body with a decent price will float by you. Might have to drive a ways to get it, but in the end it's worth it.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Too much rust? Buying my first vw. Need advice Reply with quote

Subi-Bug619 wrote:
AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:
You're in in the West Coast, specifically Cali, and you found a bug with rust??

As someone who bought a Cali bug, yes, rust does exist. They are mostly found on cars that sit outside by the coast. That salt water and morning marine layer will put rust on the car. I looked through at least 6 different bugs before finding a RUST FREE '74 super. If you want to avoid body work, be patient and a nice body with a decent price will float by you. Might have to drive a ways to get it, but in the end it's worth it.

I think you may have mis-interpreted that statement. It was more of a joke against myself (I live here in the aptly named "Rust Belt").

I know rust exists out there too, I was mostly making the point that there are pretty good chances that the OP could find a non rust bucket bug out there:

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:
You're in in the West Coast, specifically Cali, and you found a bug with rust??

Unless this bug has something specific that you really want, I'd keep looking. From what I hear you've got much better options on the West Coast.

rjplumer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Too much rust? Buying my first vw. Need advice Reply with quote

That's rust? Come to Massachusetts and I'll show you rust,lol. Rusty floor pans aren't too bad to deal with. If they're solid just clean them and apply POR-15(or equivalent). Heater channels are the big one to look for. Good luck in your search.
joshlm wrote:
Hey guys, im 18 and i live in Fresno CA, im thinking about making a road trip to San Jose to purchase my first beetle, a 1969. From what i know the car runs good and is the guys daily driver. He wants 2100 and it seems to be worth the value. But i have some concerns about the rust to floor panels? Is this too much? I will be posting pics shortly. Any other info about the car and how mcuh it would be worth is helpful. I have the john muir vw guide and will be using it to help me when buying, but any tips on what to look for? What are any other big NO-NO. I know it needs some cosmetic work but thats not a huge deal. im also not looking to make any huge repairs as I dont have the finances so the rust will be left untreated. Any advice please just for buying, owning, driving the 200 miles back home in it, how much this is worth etc.
[https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/d/volkswagen-beetle-1969/6501498412.html]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Current VW: 1974 VW Bug(Standard) https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8505350#8505350
Previous VW: 1971 VW Super Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Too much rust? Buying my first vw. Need advice Reply with quote

rjplumer wrote:
That's rust? Come to Massachusetts and I'll show you rust,lol.

Sounds like a threat, haha! You northeastern people have a whole 'nother level of suck to deal with - I bought a bus with a NY import code and it was AWFUL all caps.

Good work passing on a rusty problem, OP - you don't even know how much heartache and money you really just saved yourself. Every time I read 'The Tortoise and the Hare," you know what? The tortoise wins every time. Keep on being patient and adding to your purchase fund as you wait. Often, a few hundred dollars in price up front will make a huge difference between a money pit and a daily driver.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Too much rust? Buying my first vw. Need advice Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
Keep on being patient and adding to your purchase fund as you wait. Often, a few hundred dollars in price up front will make a huge difference between a money pit and a daily driver.

x2 on this
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Too much rust? Buying my first vw. Need advice Reply with quote

X3 go to Phoenix. You don’t have to settle for rust.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Too much rust? Buying my first vw. Need advice Reply with quote

hmm so I should drive out west and swap bodies.....or..have one stuck on a pallet!!!but that would mean...effing with the wiring harness.....and actual work on my bug....I don't see it happening. Sad
joshlm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Too much rust? Buying my first vw. Need advice Reply with quote

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: