Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Water meth injection
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
advinnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Water meth injection Reply with quote

Hi all I’m running a 1600 draw through turbo set up in my bug at 10 psi boostvand I’m now looking into water meth injection. Now I’ve found the kit I’m going to go with ( snow performance stage 1) but is there a way to work out what size jet I need to run?
And also I’m not to sure where to mount the jet?
Dose it go before the carb, between the carb and turbo or after the turbo?
Many thanks
Adam[/quote]
Eaallred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Water meth injection Reply with quote

Snow kit should come with multiple nozzles and will tell you which one to run vs. how much HP you are making.

Run a simple on/off controller, don't do the progressive controller. I did and was haunted by gremlins trying to tune a huge methanol spray that was plagued with inconsistencies.

On a draw through, I'd put it up between the carb and the turbo. The further up stream you can go, the better so it is fully atomized by the time it hits the cylinder.

You have to remember something: Everybody pities the weak; Jealousy you have to earn.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Water meth injection Reply with quote

Nozzle usage is based on hp output.
The "Devil's Own" water injection website has a nozzle calculator.

Just make sure once you decide on a nozzle that you test the pump and flow of the nozzle to confirm how many cc's/min you are actually getting.

I found the nozzles flowed more than advertised and the company said it all depends on what pressure you test them at. I tested at 120 lbs and they test at 200 lbs. I got almost double the flow compared to what the website said.

Read this complete page along with any added links....I found it quite informative and helpful.

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/waterinjection.html#answ

I also agree with Eric........use a simple Hobbs for a positive on/off set for a certain boost pressure activation.......Make sure you also use a quality vacuum capable solenoid valve to keep from getting the tank sucked dry when the pump is not on.

I use two Hobbs, two solenoids and two nozzles to supply my 50/50 mix.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
advinnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: Water meth injection Reply with quote

Cheers lads thanks for the info. I will read the link now. On my he off chance I don’t suppose you lot know what size threads the nozzles are and do the nozzles spat at 90 degrees to themselves or straight? If that makes sense?
advinnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: Water meth injection Reply with quote

Got my answers 😁 1/8 npt thread
advinnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Water meth injection Reply with quote

Unfortunately the calculator for nozzle size is no longer working 😡
I’m running 90-100 BHP at fly wheel ( a educated guesses)
I’ve found two other online nozzle size calculators but got totally different results, one said I need a nozzle that can flow 95 ml/min the other said I need a 220ml/min
Anyone else have any more links to a calculator?
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Water meth injection Reply with quote

advinnie wrote:
Unfortunately the calculator for nozzle size is no longer working 😡
I’m running 90-100 BHP at fly wheel ( a educated guesses)
I’ve found two other online nozzle size calculators but got totally different results, one said I need a nozzle that can flow 95 ml/min the other said I need a 220ml/min
Anyone else have any more links to a calculator?

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/water_calculator.html

I have two nozzles......a 1.0 gph and a 2.0 gph nozzle.

The 1.0 gph comes on at 6 lbs boost and the second 2.0 gph comes on at 10 lbs. boost for a total of 3.0 gph.
When I ran just the 2.0 gph nozzle and had it set to come on at 6.0 lbs I found it would make the engine blubber and lurch if I was driving at 60-65 mph on a 6% grade and had to use a little boost to accelerate enough to get past a semi truck or something.
That was also when I had my insta-boost turbo installed and any time I pushed the throttle at that speed it would give boost quickly especially on a grade where you would just hit 6-7 lbs for an instant until gaining that extra 5 mph to go around someone.
I now have two switches, one that will turn off boost control limiting my total boost to 6.0 lbs. and the second cutting off the WI for worry free driving but still getting double the hp of a stock engine.

You will need to tune the WI to your engine just like tuning ignition and fuel.
Every engine is different.

If you run the calculators for my hp it's pretty close to the 12-25% they recommend.......if the nozzle flow was as advertised.
I have always said I was going to upgrade my el-cheapo pump to a 300 psi pump from Devil's Own but now with the intercooler I really don' think I need it.
I just might run it as is for another season and see what happens.

Remember........You are the Engineer and the Mechanic.
Build it your way not the way someone else does it. Their way might not work for you.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

advinnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Water meth injection Reply with quote

Cheers mate
GARRICK.CLARK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Water meth injection Reply with quote

Adam.
I'm sure you've got a lot more than 100 hp at the fly.
Have a look at this calculator on
RB RACING TURBO BOOST AND AIR FLOW CALCULATOR.
advinnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Water meth injection Reply with quote

I’ve messed this up have a look please
GARRICK.CLARK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: Water meth injection Reply with quote

I'm no expert on it but it looks ok to me.
So if you want to aim for a higher HP Out Put ,change the 130 HP figure to say 150 HP and the chart will calculate the PSI you need to achieve.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Water meth injection Reply with quote

advinnie wrote:
I’ve messed this up have a look please

That shouldn't be too far out of line.....I dynoed 112 whp at 6.0 lbs. boost.
Adding 15% puts it at 129 crank hp.

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

advinnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Water meth injection Reply with quote

😁 I wish I still had my 2276cc engine cause after the results I’m getting for a turbo 1600 that 2276 would be mental
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: