Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

odd 40 HP rods
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: odd 40 HP rods Reply with quote

There's a set of 40 hp rods, that were "done by Rimco" in the classifieds. They have a strange tooth machined into the side, that I have not seen before. Email to the seller has gone unanswered. I know that the 40hp rods are narrower than 15/1600 rods, so possibly these were added to run the rods on a 69mm crank? Am I on the right track?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

SD

Edit: I had it backwards in my head, the 40 hp rods have the wider rod journal. So now I really don't understand this.
???

Last edited by esde on Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: odd 40 HP rods Reply with quote

I think these are the mystery rod from the first 1300cc 1966 year beetle engines. Significantly lighter than a 311 rod.
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: odd 40 HP rods Reply with quote

esde wrote:
There's a set of 40 hp rods, that were "done by Rimco" in the classifieds. They have a strange tooth machined into the side, that I have not seen before. Email to the seller has gone unanswered. I know that the 40hp rods are narrower than 15/1600 rods, so possibly these were added to run the rods on a 69mm crank? Am I on the right track?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

SD

No 40hp rods are wider than 1600 rods. Somebody thought they were improveing oiling and machined them that way. Dan
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: odd 40 HP rods Reply with quote

Looking at the big end in the picture they have not been done by Rimco recently for when rods are sized the bearing caps are clean honed to size and those look used. In 40 years of ACVW I personally have never seen rods cut like that or even heard of it, maybe something for a VW based aircraft type engine?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: odd 40 HP rods Reply with quote

Formula V or old Score class 9 from 1200cc years. This type of stuff was done early 70's in those type motors.

Full machine shop with all types of CNC. Rapid prototyping available, CNC Plasma cutting, 3D printing and Laser engraving.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: odd 40 HP rods Reply with quote

I have seen that done but in negative to be piston squiters to cool the bottom of the piston.

Casey
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: odd 40 HP rods Reply with quote

I have done the "V" groove in the rod cap, never even seen performance american iron rods butchered like that.

Just out of curiosity was there a picture of those rods in the ad before you purchased them?
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: odd 40 HP rods Reply with quote

busman78 wrote:

Just out of curiosity was there a picture of those rods in the ad before you purchased them?

I didn't actually purchase these. But, I acquired a stash of some 40HP stuff including parts from the transitional "bastard 40" years, and was looking through the gallery and classifieds trying to positively identify some of my parts and saw them. I've done the "piston notch" also, but have never seen anything like these Shocked
Just asking out of sheer curiosity. I'll speculate that if this modification had been a good idea, someone would still be doing it..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: