Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

OK to eliminate A/C Condenser
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jocoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: OK to eliminate A/C Condenser Reply with quote

Hi
A/C has been disabled in my 86 Westy for some time. I am replacing the radiator soon and since the A/C is in operative can I eliminate the condenser?Will this screw up air flow or proper cooling of the rad? Can i just simply unbolt it and put the rad back in?
Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: OK to eliminate A/C Condenser Reply with quote

No, it will have no detrimental effect on the cooling system.
It may drip fluid.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: OK to eliminate A/C Condenser Reply with quote

I'll respectfully disagree. If you don't want the AC system, you can just pull everything out.
OTOH, it doesn't hurt anything to leave it in. Next owner might like the option...???

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: OK to eliminate A/C Condenser Reply with quote

Personally I'd just fix the AC

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: OK to eliminate A/C Condenser Reply with quote

i pulled my entire AC system out. i love it removed, which is a controversial opinion but this is my van so screw y'all <grin>! i don't care about its resale, i'm probably the last driver it will have.

- enormously improved air flow thru radiator. i suspect with the large flow of air thru the thing, the 'hot footwell' issue will be greatly reduced. haven't had a chance to test that aspect yet.

- being tall, i LOVE the increased outward rear vision without the AC unit in the way plus the headroom it gives in the lower bunk.

- motor access is greatly improved, distributor feed wires easily accessible, spark plugs are just right there. engine grounds easy to work on.

YMMV. i love having my ac removed. plus i have 2 spare heater motors!

-dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: OK to eliminate A/C Condenser Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Personally I'd just fix the AC

X2
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: OK to eliminate A/C Condenser Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
i pulled my entire AC system out. i love it removed, which is a controversial opinion but this is my van so screw y'all <grin>! i don't care about its resale, i'm probably the last driver it will have.

- enormously improved air flow thru radiator. i suspect with the large flow of air thru the thing, the 'hot footwell' issue will be greatly reduced. haven't had a chance to test that aspect yet.

- being tall, i LOVE the increased outward rear vision without the AC unit in the way plus the headroom it gives in the lower bunk.

- motor access is greatly improved, distributor feed wires easily accessible, spark plugs are just right there. engine grounds easy to work on.

YMMV. i love having my ac removed. plus i have 2 spare heater motors!

-dan

Sorry, Dan, but removing the condenser will not eliminate or even improve "hot foot". I started with my Syncro not air conditioned and added my own home-built AC system. The hot foot experience was identical with and without the condenser in place. Also, I installed a new radiator back before I added AC and while I still rocked the 2.1 WBX. Now, with a Subaru SVX 3.3 engine, with AC added, I still have not encountered any conditions that caused my "Stage 3" rad fan to come on, except on very slow off-road trails, at 95F ambient temps with AC on max cool.

The only cure for genuine hot foot is insulation in the "hot foot" area of the van. The "non-genuine" hot foot condition is caused by heater core hot air flow caused by a poor coolant shut-off valve and poor/degraded foam seals in the blower fan box.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: OK to eliminate A/C Condenser Reply with quote

I have also removed my entire A/C system including the compressor and roof/rear window ducting. When I replace the radiator, I will remove the condenser as well and I'd expect airflow through the radiator to improve greatly without the blocking effect of the condenser. Both passive airflow through it while driving, and forced air with the fan on.

The engine access change was indeed a huge improvement. I live in a northern climate, painted the roof white, and use insulated reflective window covers if it's a crazy hot 85 degree day with 40% humidity (heh). But to each their own. I too will be the last driver of this van unless one of the kids wants it when I'm pushing up daisies...
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: OK to eliminate A/C Condenser Reply with quote

i've had 2 older cars that i've had overheating issues on. in both cases, the space between the rad and the AC condensor was plugged with dust/dirt/debris greatly restricting air flow thru the rad. on one, i just removed the condensor and cleaned the front of the rad. the other, i left the condensor in place but backflushed thru the rear of the rad and flooded enormous amounts of dirt after a Simple Green soak.

so when i removed the condensor on the Vanagon, i expected to see some blockage. nada. clean as a whistle. surprised me.

-dan
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: OK to eliminate A/C Condenser Reply with quote

What are you disagreeing to, the fact that it won't harm the cooling system, if it's removed

dhaavers wrote:
I'll respectfully disagree. If you don't want the AC system, you can just pull everything out.
OTOH, it doesn't hurt anything to leave it in. Next owner might like the option...???

- Dave
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: OK to eliminate A/C Condenser Reply with quote

markswagen wrote:
What are you disagreeing to, the fact that it won't harm the cooling system, if it's removed

dhaavers wrote:

- Dave

I’m guessing this is a misunderstanding of the questions and your response.

The OP asked three questions, you responded “No...”

When I read the OP’s final question and saw your No... I wondered if you meant “No, you can’t simply unbolt the condenser and put the rad back in.”

The rest of your words clarify what you meant but who reads all this words? Very Happy

It’s like when my travel partner asks me “Do you want to stop for lunch? Do you want to keep driving?” And I say “Yes”

The perils of the internet...

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: OK to eliminate A/C Condenser Reply with quote

markswagen wrote:

dhaavers wrote:

- Dave

Sorry for my part in the confusion. I was replying to your previous post, ie:

markswagen wrote:
No, it will have no detrimental effect on the cooling system.
It may drip fluid.

Where I thought you were replying to the OP's similar first (&/or last?) question(s):
1) "...since the A/C is in operative can I eliminate the condenser?"
3) "Can i just simply unbolt it and put the rad back in?"

...but it seems more like you were replying to the completely different second question:
2)"Will this screw up air flow or proper cooling of the rad?

If this analysis is correct, it turns out I AGREE with you and now herefore clarify:
MY FINAL ANSWER: NO, removing the condenser won't hurt, might help.

Thanks to jimf909 for his perspective & brilliant analysis! Semantics, man, it's all semantics...

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Laughing Wink Cool

- Dave

jocoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: OK to eliminate A/C Condenser Reply with quote

I knew this was a touchy subject and I appreciate all the replies. I am in a northern area and my wife and I just don't like A/C. Weird to some of you I know but growing up we never had it. Condenser is coming off!
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: OK to eliminate A/C Condenser Reply with quote

there was a great tongue-in-cheek essay many years ago attributing the decline of our society to air conditioning... because that's when neighbors stopped going for walks and sitting on their porch on hot summer evenings, never getting to know who they lived by. office and factory buildings became designed without natural ventilation, and hence sunlight for workers. people became isolated while traveling in cars, instead of all the windows open and elbows hanging out in close proximity to others in cars. it made some valid points.

i find Westy travel enhanced without AC, it puts you vicerally IN the environment with the windows open where you smell, see, and hear more. sure, there's more discomfort. you also know you've been somewhere.

i'm a big sweaty guy. i love AC and would never be without it in a Honda Civic or something. but for certain vehicles and all motorcycles, feeling the hot winds is all part of it for me.

-dan
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: OK to eliminate A/C Condenser Reply with quote

I'm TOTALLY with you, Dan! On my own, that's exactly how I roll... Cool

Unfortunately, my wife is very heat sensitive which always made our road trips miserable before I got the AC up
& running. Add the buffeting from open windows and it became a pretty consistent trigger for her migraines.

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do. See you out on the road, jacoman! Wink

- Dave

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: