Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 1 Transmission Gusset Question
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kizbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Type 1 Transmission Gusset Question Reply with quote

Gentlemen, when adding a magnesium Gusset(s) to your Type 1 tranny, like the Weddle Gusset shown below, what is the standard way of going about it?.... Do most just add (1) below the side that the Ring Gear is located, or are (2) usually added - one on both side of the case?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Type 1 Transmission Gusset Question Reply with quote

Depends on how much welding you want to do and how much distortion you want to deal with

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
Kizbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 Transmission Gusset Question Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
Depends on how much welding you want to do and how much distortion you want to deal with

I'd say as little as possible for either since I'll have to hire the welding out....I only have a mig welder.
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 Transmission Gusset Question Reply with quote

Has to be welded under water or something like that. Probly better off with hd side covers and a through bolt mod.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 Transmission Gusset Question Reply with quote

Cases of those I've seen keep a Type 1 trans alive have only had one on the ring gear side. When asked the preferred installation method, I've gotten everything from side covers torqued, to no side covers, and oven preheated case, to warmed up with a propane torch around the weld area. Gears has had success with the Rhino cases, and a throughbolt outside of the diff cavity.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 Transmission Gusset Question Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
..... to no side covers, ...

I know a guy who welded one on without a side cover in place. When he was done, no amount of beating could get the side cover on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 Transmission Gusset Question Reply with quote

I recall the advise of weld only 1/4 inch at a time.
Not sure if that is right. I'd probably try to "back-stitch" it 1/2" at a time, but stuff like this I take it to a pro. Lots of different techniques.
Welding is an art.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 Transmission Gusset Question Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
..... to no side covers, ...

I know a guy who welded one on without a side cover in place. When he was done, no amount of beating could get the side cover on.

I know those that have welded gear syncro hubs on, and no amount of honing could get it to spin on a bearing, and no amount of bondo could straighten a quarter that had a patch panel welded to.

The gusset seems to be one of those taboo things no one wants to share exact procedure, or rod being used. The shop I worked at installed maybe less than 10 in the 8, or so years I was working with transaxles. He did it with the side cover, heated with the propane torch, and small weld lengths at a time. He had a huge box of tig rods that will most likely last him the next 50 years that the label had fallen off of, so I never found out what alloy the rod was.
Casting Timmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Type 1 Transmission Gusset Question Reply with quote

Here's some notes I read off thesamba

One guy used old steel crown side covers on the box when he welded it.

Mag and Aluminum both weld better if you clear off the oxide layer as it takes a lot more to melt. On mag you even want to clean off the rod, which 61A comes to mind. You can confirm that as Berg sells the rod by the oz, but I found the best price off of Amazon for it.

You also don't want to forget to clean the gusset itself.

Aluminum and mag will flow from the inside out almost when welding if you don't get that crust off.

Eyeball Engineering made the Girdle and Ron Lummus makes engine mounting plates, both I think would help as well. I wonder if with engine plates if the gusset is even needed. External side plates tied to a mid mount plate between the gear carrier and case might do the same or better as well.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Type 1 Transmission Gusset Question Reply with quote

I was kind of assuming the cleanliness, but yeah, it all needs to be perfectly clean, almost shiny magnesium. Interesting that Bergs gusset plate is .625 thick, while samba member Anthony Merjano's (AXAM) gusset is .368, and Weddle's is .250. Also interesting that Berg uses a gusset the entire length of the rear case, while the ones I have seen being successfully used are the small "crescent moon" ones AXAM/Weddle are selling.

Gears is the only person I've known to use the through bolt method without a gusset. He is also the only one that I have known to run 9.30's at 145+ in the mid 80's with a Type 1 trans. I always thought of Lummus' engine mounting plates to be just that, a way to mount an engine/trans in a chassis without frame horns. I suppose they would "capture" the main trans case to add some support. Running a tube chassis car imo has passed the practicality of a Type 1 trans. At one time the Ultimate Aircooled Forum was the top performance forum for Aircooled VW's on the net. I posted a thread about Eyeball's Girdle, and not many even knew it existed. No one had ever used one, or saw one ever being used.
Kizbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 Transmission Gusset Question Reply with quote

This is good info guys, I'm definitely learning a few things on this one so thanks for the input! Normally I wouldn't even bother with beefing up a case, but this will be on a "live axle" (solid axle) mid-engine rail I'm tinkering with...so it would seem almost essential to strengthen it with a gusset being that it has no suspension. I've even seen one picture of a similar set-up that had a gusset on the top of the case.
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 Transmission Gusset Question Reply with quote

I will share as I have done this a few times:

I heat them in a oven at 250 for a half hour to bring the oil out, then degrease and clean. AC Tig but you must use Magnesium filler rod. I gusset both sides on early cases and internal through bolt using 10mm case cylinder studs. Mod the reverse drive gear. Old way of doing it and external girdle is better, but it worked for me on budget builds where a Rhino was not used. I primarly did this with using old school Speed Unlimited steel side covers on both sides on swingaxles.

Full machine shop with all types of CNC. Rapid prototyping available, CNC Plasma cutting, 3D printing and Laser engraving.
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 Transmission Gusset Question Reply with quote

Kizbo wrote:
.. I wouldn't even bother .. but this will be on a "live axle" (solid axle) mid-engine rail I'm tinkering with... I've even seen one picture of a similar set-up that had a gusset on the top of the case.

With a flipped ring gear, the standard gussets aren't going to help at all. The Rhino case was MADE for this application.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
maui
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 Transmission Gusset Question Reply with quote

a friend of mine in the mid 70s Frank Abraham of Kailua transmission used to put 2 through bolts [8mm case studs] in our trans with one steel crown side plate and it held the R/P together real good. Remember Red Rider ghia of the 70s. I do it to my trans even now with double H/D side plates and it seems to be working.
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Type 1 Transmission Gusset Question Reply with quote

Ironically, old style through-bolts will work for a flipped ring gear, while they will do virtually nothing for a standard (left side ring gear) build.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kizbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Type 1 Transmission Gusset Question Reply with quote

gears wrote:
Ironically, old style through-bolts will work for a flipped ring gear, while they will do virtually nothing for a standard (left side ring gear) build.

That's interesting to know.... is that due to the changing rotation putting stress in a different location?
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 Transmission Gusset Question Reply with quote

There's a couple studs allowing easy through-bolts, which will benefit a ring gear that's trying to escape from the top forward.

Re standard installations, studs at the bottom of most cases don't permit through-bolt substitutions. However, a Rhino case with 2 full circle side covers allows a single effective (external) through-bolt in the PERFECT location (bottom left forward).
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
Kizbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 Transmission Gusset Question Reply with quote

maui wrote:
a friend of mine in the mid 70s Frank Abraham of Kailua transmission used to put 2 through bolts [8mm case studs] in our trans with one steel crown side plate and it held the R/P together real good. Remember Red Rider ghia of the 70s. I do it to my trans even now with double H/D side plates and it seems to be working.

While it seems like maybe the Rhino case is probably the best and most logical route to go (at least for my intended application), I am intrigued by the through-bolt idea for perhaps another build of mine down the road. If you ever get an opportunity, I'd love to see a picture of how you did yours or even how others have done this. Thanks for your input!
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 Transmission Gusset Question Reply with quote

The two are certainly not mutually exclusive. It's a simple matter to through-bolt the Rhino case.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: