Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1953 MIAG transporter
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: 1953 MIAG transporter Reply with quote

I came across this advert today for a '53 MIAG transporter - it has a transverse mounted beetle engine. does anyone know why they used this layout, surely it was more hassle than the standard set-up?

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C959661
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1953 MIAG transporter Reply with quote

I know nothing of these, but one guess is that to make a 4WD vehicle, a transverse engine feeding into a transaxle with front and rear output shafts may be simplest. It also means it isn't hanging out at the front or rear where the approach/departure angles would make it bottom out.
usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1953 MIAG transporter Reply with quote

Two or three years ago such one was for sale at the winter military meeting close to my place.
Looking the same.
I gave Christian Grundmann a hint about it and they bought it.
It was from 1950 if I remember it right.
Had a transverse mounted engine as well.
With a 1949 gearbox wich was modified to have only one shaft coming out of it. Going to the rear axle. So no 4wd.

Last edited by usariemen on Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1953 MIAG transporter Reply with quote

Just found the pics I made.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

56samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1953 MIAG transporter Reply with quote

I remember this MIAG transporter... it was for sale on Ebay Germany serveral months ago.
Had to stare for a minute at this engine, because it was lovely complete and original Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1953 MIAG transporter Reply with quote

A re-jigged gear change link too! Were they used to move stuff around factories - surely not a military thing?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1953 MIAG transporter Reply with quote

Likely for use in any warehouse in the pre forklift days when goods came in barrels and sacks and were manhandled from place to place.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1953 MIAG transporter Reply with quote

56samba wrote:
I remember this MIAG transporter... it was for sale on Ebay Germany serveral months ago.
Had to stare for a minute at this engine, because it was lovely complete and original Laughing

Donīt know if that was THAT car.
At least that car had not the original engine.
The one installed was from 1956 or so.
stu_avw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1953 MIAG transporter Reply with quote

finster wrote:
I came across this advert today for a '53 MIAG transporter - it has a transverse mounted beetle engine. does anyone know why they used this layout, surely it was more hassle than the standard set-up?

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C959661

We bought the MIAG from JK, we are struggling to find much history about it and just seeing if anyone on here has any images or historical knowledge of them?

Thanks for your time Stu
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: