Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

36hp and 40hp bearing sizes
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: 36hp and 40hp bearing sizes Reply with quote

I've just gotten a nice stash of NOS bearings, for 36 and 40hp engines, BUT..
the labels on the boxes have all faded to where I cannot read them, or the box tops have fallen off. I've taken the time to site and mic each one, but need a list to compare, the hopefully shows crank journal sizes, and case bore sizes, so that I can see what I have. On the performance forum, there is a chart for 1600 bearings and I'm very familiar. With the vintage stuff, I'm in the dark.
Any guidance is much appreciated.
SD
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp and 40hp bearing sizes Reply with quote

well, after looking through a few of the technical articles, specifically "without guesswork" I got it figured. Looks like I might have a set of the bastard 40 bearings, with the #2 split thrust. Will get that measured and figured..
SD
parker007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp and 40hp bearing sizes Reply with quote

if you have any 50mm or 49.75/ 60.25 outside let me know
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp and 40hp bearing sizes Reply with quote

Do the bearings not have any part numbers or markings on them?
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp and 40hp bearing sizes Reply with quote

No numbers stamped into the bearings.. some have a faded ink stamp. The boxes are marked "standard" but still I have measured them all. The babbitt has turned grey, but did polish up with a soft cloth and some thinner.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

After I get them all sorted, I'll list them here. May only need to keep one set for the 36 for my oval..
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp and 40hp bearing sizes Reply with quote

Hint: 40hp 1200cc main bearings are offered in the same size ID and OD as for 1300, 1500 and 1600 engines. You can use a reference table for the larger type 1 engines. Remember that main bearing ID size increase for cranks where the journals have been machined to an incrementally smaller diameter. My crap computer can't open this link, but it could be a good start for the 40hp-
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_new/engine/40hp/main_bearings.cfm
garagebandking41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp and 40hp bearing sizes Reply with quote

Resurrecting this thread with a similar question.

Were there ever 36hp bearings that had a 60.25mm OD?

The workshop manual I have only mentions one oversize 60.50mm. But Wolfsburg West's site seems to show they may have had 60.25 at one time?

Anyone know of a source for 60.25mm?
PEPPE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp and 40hp bearing sizes Reply with quote

check for old stock metal leve... but the half size were always uncommon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: