Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I need tips on dent removal w/heat gun and compressed air spray
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: I need tips on dent removal w/heat gun and compressed air spray Reply with quote

I've seen a few videos on youtube showing some success and some failures in fixing or at least making progress on body dents. And yes, I know those right at a body crease, or dents that actually crease the metal are not gonna way. And I do get it that lots of focused heat all over the dented area, and then a good chiller spray is most important. Is a hair drier an adequate heat supply? What chiller did you use- freon (as from a medical supply place) or just compressed air? Where'd you get it- a home depot or?? Have you mixed Any fine tips for a beginner?
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: I need tips on dent removal w/heat gun and compressed air spray Reply with quote

Full disclosure: never done it, but I can't imagine you'll get anywhere without at least a dedicated HEAT gun & "duster" or freeze spray...

Heat gun: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st_review-rank?key...eview-rank
No, I don't think you have to spend $70 or more...mine was $10 @ Harbor Freight & works for what I need... <shrug>

Dust-off: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st_price-asc-rank?...e-asc-rank

"Freeze spray" https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st_price-asc-rank?...e-asc-rank

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: I need tips on dent removal w/heat gun and compressed air spray Reply with quote

It's very unlikely to work unless you have just the right kind of dent.
Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: I need tips on dent removal w/heat gun and compressed air spray Reply with quote

The steel is so much thicker on a vanagon than a modern car , I doubt the same techniques would work
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: I need tips on dent removal w/heat gun and compressed air spray Reply with quote

^^^ Truth...I had thought about that, too.

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: I need tips on dent removal w/heat gun and compressed air spray Reply with quote

I have found the paintless dent removal guys worth their weight in gold. By the time you get supplies and such, you might be 1/3 of the way to spending what it takes for a pro to make it literally disappear. Find a couple, send them a few pictures and see what they'd charge before trying it yourself. Your efforts might change the metal enough that then they cannot help you.

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: