Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon rear view mirror sizes
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Vanuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:46 am    Post subject: Vanagon rear view mirror sizes Reply with quote

I have an '85 Westy with the brown rear view mirror. It has some sun damage as most of the brown ones do, and I have been hunting a replacement for some time. Found a beauty on eBay, but upon arrival it is much smaller than my existing mirror.

I know my mirror is original to the van. The seller says this brown mirror came off of his T3. So... Were there different size mirrors offered through the years? Maybe this one is from an earlier air-cooled model?

My original is on the left, eBay on the right (sorry the photo is not great):

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'02 Subaru Forester 2.5L
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
revolution337
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon rear view mirror sizes Reply with quote

Can't speak to you new one on the right, but I will say that my 82 aircooled mirror looks like your original one on the left.
2000 BMW Z3 roadster
-Mark
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon rear view mirror sizes Reply with quote

There were ones with the reflection dimmer flip switch and without it. They were made in black and brown. It hink only these 4 types were the Vanagon mirrors.
All had flat sides. I would say the one in your hands with a curved top is a bay window mirror.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon rear view mirror sizes Reply with quote

ZsZ wrote:
There were ones with the reflection dimmer flip switch and without it. They were made in black and brown. It hink only these 4 types were the Vanagon mirrors.
All had flat sides. I would say the one in your hands with a curved top is a bay window mirror.

Agreed. The design language of the one in your hand is wrong for the Vanagon (and looks like a Bay mirror). It wouldn't be surprising if the original brown mirror in the seller's T3 disintegrated 10 years ago and was replaced with what was available.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon rear view mirror sizes Reply with quote

The Bay forum has an entire thread dedicated to rear view mirrors Surprised . It looks like your eBay purchase is probably originally from a Champagne Edition T2:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=596832
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon rear view mirror sizes Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, some install the Bay Window Bus mirror because the shaft/arm is longer and that gives a better field of view for the camper models.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon rear view mirror sizes Reply with quote

I use this with satisfaction... not too expensive to replace it if it breaks.

https://www.amazon.com/Hooke-Road-Convex-Interior-Extender/dp/B013UQOZHY

many more choices here...

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=rear+view+mirror&i=...4_ts-doa-p
Vanuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon rear view mirror sizes Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
The Bay forum has an entire thread dedicated to rear view mirrors Surprised . It looks like your eBay purchase is probably originally from a Champagne Edition T2:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=596832

Thanks for the link. That pretty well sums it up. Definitely a bay mirror, looks just like the Champagne Edition in the link.

Hopefully, I can work a return for the mirror. It's in great condition if anyone is interested.
'02 Subaru Forester 2.5L
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon rear view mirror sizes Reply with quote

I'm curious how this will work out with ebay.
There was a photo of the mirror on the posting?

From the photo were the differences distinguishable?
Unfortunately no one is happy in a situation like this, the seller probably never knew his mirror was changed by the P.O.
Vanuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon rear view mirror sizes Reply with quote

Wellington wrote:
I'm curious how this will work out with ebay.
There was a photo of the mirror on the posting?

From the photo were the differences distinguishable?
Unfortunately no one is happy in a situation like this, the seller probably never knew his mirror was changed by the P.O.

Because the seller offered a return policy, I just had to initiate the return myself. Easy peasy.

I am sure the seller had good intentions and thought it was a Vanagon mirror. I did too, until I saw it next to my original. I was not educated enough before purchasing to know better.

Here's the link - https://www.ebay.com/itm/144474536437
'02 Subaru Forester 2.5L

Last edited by Vanuber on Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:39 pm; edited 4 times in total
Mateo83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon rear view mirror sizes Reply with quote

my aircooled has the left. i guess as long as it has the same base.
panzer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon rear view mirror sizes Reply with quote

I'm thinkin' the Westys have a longer arm to see below rear cabinet. Hopefully a slick top owner will chime in.
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon rear view mirror sizes Reply with quote

Check if the Bay mirror worth more than a vanagon one Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon rear view mirror sizes Reply with quote

vanagonjr wrote:
If I remember correctly, some install the Bay Window Bus mirror because the shaft/arm is longer and that gives a better field of view for the camper models.

Not all bay buses use the long arm for the mirror. I grabbed one out of a junk bay for $5 and it turned out to be no longer than the stocker in my Vanagon Westy, so I used it for the "copper pipe extension" project and it currently resides in the van and works well to see past the upper cabinet.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You might need to find a bay Westy for its mirror but I do not know for sure if it is the one that is longer. Might depend on the year of the van.
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon rear view mirror sizes Reply with quote

CIP1 sells aftermarket repros of the Vanagon interior mirror but only in black.

https://www2.cip1.com/vwc-251-857-501-cbk/

If you want to keep your existing arm you can try to gently pull the arm off the new mirror and snap it onto your original arm (after pulling the old mirror off).

I was able to replace the mirror on my Thing this way but it did take some very patient pulling. Wink
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon rear view mirror sizes Reply with quote

Just buy a Gentex auto-dimming mirror with compass and ambient temp readouts, and then position it as high or low on the windshield as you like. I have these on both the T3 and T4. They work great

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: