Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Left turn signal not working but right AND hazards work?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
iithekgii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:17 am    Post subject: Left turn signal not working but right AND hazards work? Reply with quote

Backstory: On my latest road trip my headlight switch went out, and at one point I had to drive in the dark for a little bit. High beams still worked but I had to hold the signal switch in for them to stay on (wouldn't toggle on/off). While I was holding the beam switch on I used the left turn signal. It flashed a few times then stopped. The indicator light now stays solid vs flashing and it WAS making a buzzing sound when turned on but has stopped. The right signal works no problem, and when I hit the hazards all four corners flash as they should. Just the left signal giving issues.

I've since replaced the headlight switch which fixed the headlight issue. Also replaced the turn signal switch but that didn't fix anything (nice upgrade though).

Is it a short maybe? I'm at a loss here.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Left turn signal not working but right AND hazards work? Reply with quote

when you say 'fixed the headlight problem"
that means you cleaned all the ground wires on the ground crown behind the dash on the DS front pillar?

this is/was a classic bad ground issue.. when you have to hold the stalk to attain/retain lights and the indicator glows lightly.

perhaps you burned out the left bulb with too much amperage
see when you're holding back the highbeam switch you are connecting the current to a new path.. the high bulbs and then the HIgh bulbs ground spade.
then you added in the left signal to the mix and possibly sent the low&high beam current across the left turn bulb filament.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: