Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Not interested What to do
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:00 am    Post subject: Not interested What to do Reply with quote

Well a VW guy I know bought a project VW. When he got it advised him to remove engine and go thru the seals as it sat for who knows how long. Well now the fellow wants to use my garage, my tools, to repair the front main seal, you know the one behind the flywheel. He says oh it should take only two hours. Ya right. Then says oh would like to replace the oil cooler seals as well. So now the engine is darn near a long block right. Two hours, well what else does it need. He did say he would pay so in all honestly not interested as I already know whom will do most of the wrenching.
What to do?

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Not interested What to do Reply with quote

You screwed up by letting it happen in the first place, two hours is up, put it back together & recoup whatever you can, or call a wrecker.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Not interested What to do Reply with quote

He has had the car now for like two years. Finally got it on the road. As mentioned not interested as I do not want to married to the vehicle if you all know what I mean.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Not interested What to do Reply with quote

Tear something else apart so you don't have the room...
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Not interested What to do Reply with quote

Maybe it would have taken an afternoon or perhaps a long weekend to help out a fellow VW owner. I was in the same boat once upon a time. I had little to no tools and knowledge but someone took me in, fact he ran a service station and I did cleanup work and odd jobs as he taught me VWs. Recently I helped out a fellow Samba member in fact we rebuilt his engine and did a brake job. I would like to think he learned along the way and will help someone else, that’s paying it forward. Just my opinion
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Not interested What to do Reply with quote

If it's not already in your driveway & you don't want to do the job then grow a pair & tell them "no". As for letting them use your tools & driveway, would you let them use your wife & bedroom?

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Not interested What to do Reply with quote

You are NOT obligated to do this at a all. I try to be a nice guy as well, but I will not/do not allow someone to "work on their car" in any of my spaces. To do seals and the like, he can go to Lowes or Harbor freight and get a cheap metric tool kit for less than $100 and do it himself. You need your garage space just in case you need to do something....

My only exception to this rule was there was a kid that brought a motorcycle to the lodge that we manage as a guest at a reunion. The bike was honestly held together with hose clamps and duct tape. Shocked A couple of the guys there asked if they could borrow a couple wrenches to fix a couple things on it to make it safer.

Sure...But then I saw what they were dealing with and offered to let them pull it into my one garage bay....Well...one thing led to another and I just gave them the welder, and my tools and just let them go at it...Was a howl...just like one of those TV shows....About 6 of them cutting, welding, rewiring for about 5 or 6 hours... I'd pop in once in a while to see how they were doing, but they had it under control.. After they were done, tools were all put away, garage swept up and a kid with a safe bike and a bunch of guys that had a blast. Cool
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Not interested What to do Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Maybe it would have taken an afternoon or perhaps a long weekend to help out a fellow VW owner. I was in the same boat once upon a time. I had little to no tools and knowledge but someone took me in, fact he ran a service station and I did cleanup work and odd jobs as he taught me VWs. Recently I helped out a fellow Samba member in fact we rebuilt his engine and did a brake job. I would like to think he learned along the way and will help someone else, that’s paying it forward. Just my opinion

Hey ZF, I just got a DC9, I don't know much about them, can I bring it over to your place & use your tools for a couple of days? Maybe you can show me what to do, I'll bring beer & pizza. Laughing

Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Not interested What to do Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Hey ZF, I just got a DC9, I don't know much about them, can I bring it over to your place & use your tools for a couple of days? Maybe you can show me what to do, I'll bring beer & pizza. Laughing

Retired pilots located a DC-3 In bad condition but it had once belonged to an airline and had historical value. The airline asked for volunteers to restore the plane and people donated their time. The finished product now sits in a museum south of DFW airport. I don’t have a problem helping folks if their attitude is right and the need is genuine, I can tell the difference between helping and being used. I’m sure not everyone is hardened to the point they won’t give of their time and share their resources and knowledge to help others. I’ll err on the side of helping as this brings good karma. Very Happy Rolling Eyes
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Not interested What to do Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
Well a VW guy I know bought a project VW. When he got it advised him to remove engine and go thru the seals as it sat for who knows how long. Well now the fellow wants to use my garage, my tools, to repair the front main seal, you know the one behind the flywheel. He says oh it should take only two hours. Ya right. Then says oh would like to replace the oil cooler seals as well. So now the engine is darn near a long block right. Two hours, well what else does it need. He did say he would pay so in all honestly not interested as I already know whom will do most of the wrenching.
What to do?

Gordon - I agree - don't volunteer to use your garage for this.

Guy should assess how much his oil leakage really is. Let him wait for warmer weather up there and do this in his own driveway. Volunteer that you'd help with the actual engine final steps of R&R and to help remove the flywheel and replace seal/look at the end play. What he'd spend on tools would be less than what you'd have to charge to do all this anyway.

You might find he has excessive end play, bad transmission mounts, bad engine rubber seals, etc., this could turn into a lengthy project. If a front crankshaft oil seal you install leaks, you'd feel responsible; same with oil cooler seals. Just not worth it to you, there are trout in Show Low Lake waiting for you.

If the guy lives in an apartment complex and can't work on his VW there, that's his issue. Maybe time for him to give up Starbucks and unlimited phone and save up for a shop to do this.

Last week - by myself - I R&R'd the engine on my 1970 and replaced the clutch (only), still took me like 3 hours but I also made a grommet for the fuel line in the tin, re-set some of the rubber rear engine seal that got dislodged during engine removal, and I had a little trouble getting my 17mm socket to seat on the upper left engine mount bolt (1971 engine case with threaded insert). But that engine had rebuilt by me last year so I didn't find surprises with it, just a tiny amount of oil leakage underneath (likely from 3 months of cold weather sitting), had to recharge the battery a little, tightened up some lower engine case nuts and the 6 acorn/cap nuts on the strainer a little, had to prime the fuel pump, stuff like that.

gt1953 wrote:
He says oh it should take only two hours. Ya right.

His engine could be straightforward or a money pit. "Two hours" possibly with a hoist, and if nothing else needed for just a flywheel seal replacement. I would NEVER assume 2 hours, or that nothing else would be needed; and in Show Low - even in Phoenix - not so easy to get all needed additional parts same day. "Maybe" offer - with compensation - to tow the VW to your rebuilder friend in Springerville and let that guy do the job.

I did an engine removal, switch everything onto new long block, then re-installed for a former girlfriend over 40 years ago, took all day, and she rewarded me that night (that's all, family forum !!!), but that took pretty much all day, and I was younger then.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Not interested What to do Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
but that took pretty much all day, and I was younger then.[/i]

The repair or the "reward'? Laughing

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Not interested What to do Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Cusser wrote:
but that took pretty much all day, and I was younger then.

The repair or the "reward'? Laughing

I'd been broken off with that gal - she had lied to me about her age. Then a half-year later she called up and asked for my help, said her dad bought a rebuilt long block but she'd have to pay for the swap-over.

I was to attend a party that night, said one of the conditions was she'd need to go with me. So after the VW "job", I showered at her house - ALONE - and got changed, and after the party we parked somewhere and she initiated and responded with a "job" of her own. I have no idea if she'd done this before, but she was pretty good; and the statute of limitations period has long expired...

Oh yeah, one of my creeper wheels punctured my VW's rear seat during this, which was folded down to hold my tools. But was worth it.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Not interested What to do Reply with quote

Well now that I have some direction. Thanks ever so much. Yep it probably would snowball into, tranny mounts, engine to body seal, etc. Now my garage is locked up for two weeks like the wife said.
Yes I will offer to go to his location with his tools and remove engine and install it. ~Period~ Sadly a gravel driveway at his location with zero weather protection.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Not interested What to do Reply with quote

When it comes to things you'd lend or do without, a great bumper sticker comes to mind... it simply said:
Quote:
My wife? Yes.
My dog? Maybe.
My gun? Never.

I don't agree, but ya gotta love genuine RN humor!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Not interested What to do Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
Yes I will offer to go to his location with his tools and remove engine and install it. ~Period~ Sadly a gravel driveway at his location with zero weather protection.

"Help" HIM remove the engine, you bring a chair and a beer.

He needs to get a full sheet of thick plywood as a work surface for your jack. And make sure that the jackstands are fully seated on some non-gravel areas.

And maybe use a tarp to catch the nuts he drops while underneath.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Not interested What to do Reply with quote

I've never lost a dollar by saying no.....

just tell the guy you don't want to do it....no need to be a wimp about it. it's not your problem....so don't make it your cross to bear

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Not interested What to do Reply with quote

First time I did an engine drop it was in a friends driveway, my tools, he gave verbal assist and some muscle, in between his own weekend to do list.

One thing was set at the start, and that was what the goal was, and that "mission creep" was simple not acceptable.

My kids get garage space. Their buddies do not.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Not interested What to do Reply with quote

Yep that is the plan to say NO. I was asked in an Email and currently crafting a response. Might just be one word NO.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Not interested What to do Reply with quote

Careful now you are dangerously tilting towards turning this into another angry old man thread. Get off my lawn :snipersmile: :snipersmile:
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Not interested What to do Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
Yep that is the plan to say NO. I was asked in an Email and currently crafting a response. Might just be one word NO.

Atta boy! Stuff like this doesn't end well usually. And then you live with 'eversince ya'

Ain't nobody got time for that

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: