Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Not interested What to do
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Not interested What to do Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Careful now you are dangerously tilting towards turning this into another angry old man thread. Get off my lawn :snipersmile: :snipersmile:

I thought I deleted my post before anybody saw it. Embarassed
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Not interested What to do Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
Well now that I have some direction. Thanks ever so much. Yep it probably would snowball into, tranny mounts, engine to body seal, etc. Now my garage is locked up for two weeks like the wife said.
Yes I will offer to go to his location with his tools and remove engine and install it. ~Period~ Sadly a gravel driveway at his location with zero weather protection.

nothing some plywood can't fix.
You have weather in AZ? Learn something new every day!

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Not interested What to do Reply with quote

Get yourself a comfy chair and a cooler with a beer or two in it, sit and "offer" advice, "not like that" and " do this, do that"
It'll get done quick and gone Wink

619 201 0310
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Not interested What to do Reply with quote

ROCKOROD71 wrote:
gt1953 wrote:
Well now that I have some direction. Thanks ever so much. Yep it probably would snowball into, tranny mounts, engine to body seal, etc. Now my garage is locked up for two weeks like the wife said.
Yes I will offer to go to his location with his tools and remove engine and install it. ~Period~ Sadly a gravel driveway at his location with zero weather protection.

nothing some plywood can't fix.
You have weather in AZ? Learn something new every day!

I know you are kidding but...

He's in N. AZ, where there is more weather.
People think of Phoenix as all of AZ, which has less seasons, spring and fall are about 2 weeks. Wink
It's in the 30s/40s as a low right now though in Phoenix. Yes, it gets cold here.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Not interested What to do Reply with quote

Half of Arizona is mountains and very scenic and pretty heavily wooded; many people are just not aware of this. My youngest lives in Flagstaff, I have a place near Prescott, and Gordon Lives in Show Low. They are all on track to get more snow tonight, up to 6 inches in Flagstaff and Show Low.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Not interested What to do Reply with quote

Yep we do have weather here. Arizona is more then sand and pucker bushes. The rim on the Grand Canyon is at 7000 feet. Most people get light headed when at higher elevation and it is not from smoking a controlled substance either. The desert is just plain HOT as shown by Cussers Avatar photo as she does lack clothing, that is just to stay cool in the hot desert.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Not interested What to do Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
The desert is just plain HOT as shown by Cussers Avatar photo as she does lack clothing, that is just to stay cool in the hot desert.

Well, Mrs. Cusser and I did play "strip trivia" tonight because her dog agility event was canceled. Yes, there was wine involved.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
oc92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Not interested What to do Reply with quote

hey man, its all good after that second glass...

72 bus
70 bug
96 mx5
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Not interested What to do Reply with quote

Yeah I was just kidding...I have actually been to AZ a few times during different times of year, been to Phoenix, Flagstaff, Tuscon, the Grand Canyon, and Prescott actually, and yes, I have seen it snow there.
It's still laughable for us New Englanders to hear someone there bitch about weather. Almost as funny as hearing about your rust problems.
I will straight up work outside in the elements in 40 degree weather with a sweatshirt on and feel like I'm on vacation. I'm not claiming to be MN or AK-level hardcore, but yeah, 40 sounds nice. Most of January here we were begging for 30.

I can't complain too much we had a couple days in the 60s last week, all the street gangs and bike gangs came out to play.
http://www.universalhub.com/2018/stunting-dirt-bikers-quad-riders-jam-expressway

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Not interested What to do Reply with quote

40* is shorts weather after a few weeks of sub 20s

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Not interested What to do Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:

Not here. Shorts worn around 360 days and nights here.

I had to wear my pair of Levis to work a few days ago, got down to 58! Wore my sweatshirt too! Damn that is cold!! It was only the one day, thankfully! Could not handle wearing pants two days in a row.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Bob Loblaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Not interested What to do Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

Not here. Shorts worn around 360 days and nights here.

I had to wear my pair of Levis to work a few days ago, got down to 58! Wore my sweatshirt too! Damn that is cold!! It was only the one day, thankfully! Could not handle wearing pants two days in a row.

We get KTLA as part of our cable package. I enjoy watching the LA news. Seems very exotic, like I'm on vacation.
When Vera starts with the "It's gonna get cold" I have to snicker.
But if we ever got to several days over 100° up here, I'd never hear the end of it.
It's all relative, I guess.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Not interested What to do Reply with quote

Bob Loblaw wrote:
We get KTLA as part of our cable package. I enjoy watching the LA news. Seems very exotic, like I'm on vacation.
But if we ever got to several days over 100° up here, I'd never hear the end of it.

Interesting choice for coverage... KTLA goes back to the 1940s in LA. Not dominating anymore, but lots of integrity.

That said, LA news is a boring repeat of:
- car chases
- child molesters
- officer involved shootings
- Hollywood claptrap
- weather over-reaction
This covers about 3/4 of all news here now!
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Not interested What to do Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Bob Loblaw wrote:

Interesting choice for coverage... KTLA goes back to the 1940s in LA. Not dominating anymore, but lots of integrity.

That said, LA news is a boring repeat of:
- car chases
- child molesters
- officer involved shootings
- Hollywood claptrap
- weather over-reaction
This covers about 3/4 of all news here now!

Funny how this thread has devolved into a weather report. All I know is that I have my pineapple plants in the garage right now, I don't know about HB but due north of you about 15 miles on Bleak Blvd. it's been in the high 30's/low 40's. Not kosher for tropical plants. Smile
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Not interested What to do Reply with quote

Jon Schmid wrote:
Not kosher for tropical plants. Smile

I didn’t know that a rabbi’s blessing was needed for plants Laughing

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Not interested What to do Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Jon Schmid wrote:

Might depend on type of plant? Or type of rabbi?

Anyway, back on the original topic - if anyone remembers: keeping some distance is a good thing. This is not YOUR engine, who knows what you might find inside and then either feel responsible for or have to do "damage control". What if a mounting ear for the oil cooler is broken and JB Welded, and breaks when you try to re-do the seals? What happens if the generator light won't go out after engine reinstallation. An "easy" spark plug R&R can result in ruined cylinder head threads or a helicoil coming out. As Yul Brynner said in
the King and I: "etc., etc., etc."
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Not interested What to do Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
Jon Schmid wrote:

Anyway, back on the original topic - if anyone remembers: keeping some distance is a good thing. This is not YOUR engine, who knows what you might find inside and then either feel responsible for or have to do "damage control". What if a mounting ear for the oil cooler is broken and JB Welded, and breaks when you try to re-do the seals? What happens if the generator light won't go out after engine reinstallation. An "easy" spark plug R&R can result in ruined cylinder head threads or a helicoil coming out. As Yul Brynner said in
the King and I: "etc., etc., etc."

What if, what if shit man I’d just stay inside you may get hit by blue ice falling off an airplane. Very Happy
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Not interested What to do Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
Jon Schmid wrote:

Link

jwp67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Not interested What to do Reply with quote

To me this whole thing boils down to how you feel about the character of the person you are going to possibly help. I have helped people who were cool and appreciative and wanted to learn to do things for themselves. I have also run into the people who continually want and need of your time and knowledge. It is nice to be wanted, but after a while it becomes taxing. Decide what person you are dealing with and you will have your answer.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Not interested What to do Reply with quote

jwp67 wrote:
To me this whole thing boils down to how you feel about the character of the person you are going to possibly help. I have helped people who were cool and appreciative and wanted to learn to do things for themselves. I have also run into the people who continually want and need of your time and knowledge. It is nice to be wanted, but after a while it becomes taxing. Decide what person you are dealing with and you will have your answer.

Yes sir you’ve hit the nail on the head in being able to decern genuine need with a positive attitude and willingness to learn from the users and scam artists. A few helped me long ago, I’ll pass that help on to others while I can.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: