Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Windshield wiper shaft rust/Help removing shaft
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bajaleo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject: Windshield wiper shaft rust/Help removing shaft Reply with quote

I'm in the process of removing items from my van in preparation for a new paint job.

I removed the wipers, and the nuts below the wipers. I was hoping to be able to push the shafts in a bit to provide access for the body shop to repair the rust, but they seem to still be attached inside.

Are they fastened to something under the dash? I'm guessing a dash removal is in my future?

Thanks, Leo

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield wiper shaft rust/Help removing shaft Reply with quote

Yeah just pull the dash. There are brackets holding those shafts there. You need to remove those spray nozzles anyway. It'll make your life a whole lot easier. Also if it was me I would consider doing the front windshield seal.
bajaleo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield wiper shaft rust/Help removing shaft Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
Yeah just pull the dash. There are brackets holding those shafts there. You need to remove those spray nozzles anyway. It'll make your life a whole lot easier. Also if it was me I would consider doing the front windshield seal.

Thanks, Shag. I've been procrastinating pulling the dash out, but now it seems I really have to get in there. Fortunately I have another vehicle, and can let this one sit in the driveway while I take it apart.

For sure on the windshield seal. All the rubber is bad. Lots of rust on this van too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield wiper shaft rust/Help removing shaft Reply with quote

With the dash out, it's a good time to go through the grounds, replace all the tubing for the windshield washers, look at the stereo wiring.
Go through everything electrically and mechanically under the dash before you pull the dash, I forgot to test everything, once Sad
I had one customer wait until I got it all back together to tell me the blower fan did not work, it only takes me 20 minutes to pull a dash now, so it wasn't a huge ordeal, that day I learned to go through it all.

619 201 0310
hogan029
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield wiper shaft rust/Help removing shaft Reply with quote

It's a good time to tackle your heater box while in there as well.. take a look at the condition of the heater core, foam on the flaps, internal wiring, fan and the coolant control valve.

Windshield washer tubing and new nozzles, clean and replace all grounds, clean out air intake.

It's worth taking the time to do all you can.. ask me how I know lol I had to remove the dash 3 times.

Good luck
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield wiper shaft rust/Help removing shaft Reply with quote

Allow me to propose the following correction:

markswagen wrote:
With the dash out, it's a good time to go through the grounds, replace all the tubing for the windshield washers, look at the stereo wiring.
Go through everything electrically and mechanically under the dash before you pull the dash, put the dash back in, I forgot to test everything, once Sad
I had one customer wait until I got it all back together to tell me the blower fan did not work, it only takes me 20 minutes to pull a dash now, so it wasn't a huge ordeal, that day I learned to go through it all.

Good tip. I tested everything. 3 times.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: