Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What's this thing I just broke?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lostinavan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: What's this thing I just broke? Reply with quote

Pulled the van out of its cave today, went to start it ..nothin. Charged the battery, then tried jumping, still nothing. Moving down the list, I tapped the starter a little, then noticed a semi-corroded cable connection associated with the starter that I hadn't seen previously. Worth a shot to clean it yeah?

Bad move, perhaps. When I finally got a socket on this thing and gave it some love, the whole thing cracked up and, semi hilariously, caused the starter to finally fire up and roll the van about ten feet (forward, thank god) before i got it in neutral. The starter continued going off until I d/qd the battery (yes I know).

The thing is conveniently located under the coolant line passage to the right of the starter. It's an 84 Vanagon btw, 1.9 water boxer. There are three cables that connect to it, one from the front of the vehicle and two that head to the starter.

Stupid question perhaps, but I can't find this thing in the Bentley, what is it?

Follow up: do you have one you'd like to sell, or is it even necessary?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bomus question, would anyone like to speculate on whether the thing's desire to break could be related to the original problem? Smile
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this thing I just broke? Reply with quote

That's an aftermarket starter solenoid, and yes it's more than likely related to your starting issues.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this thing I just broke? Reply with quote

it's a "Ford" starter solenoid someone installed to try to cure the Vanagon "no crank" syndrome due to a voltage drop to the OEM solenoid.

you can get a new one for about $8 if you want to keep the entire system the same and not mod anything that the PO did.

-dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this thing I just broke? Reply with quote

Agree - replace it. That's not a bad idea, actually. While you're messing with it and starter wiring, I think this is the perfect time to toss a hidden switch in the wiring so you can prevent its theft.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
lostinavan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this thing I just broke? Reply with quote

Thank you guys. Good info.

So breaking the aftermarket solenoid essentially shorted out the switch, causing the starter to go. And the oem solenoid is essentially defunct.

Options seem to be a)replace with another 'fordanoid' b) find an oem solenoid and try to make it work or perhaps c) replace the whole starter with a fancy new gear reduction one from GW that hopefully solves the whole deal?

Last edited by lostinavan on Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this thing I just broke? Reply with quote

lostinavan wrote:
Thank you guys. Good info

Options seem to be a)replace with another 'fordanoid' b) find an oem solenoid or perhaps c) replace the whole starter with a fancy new gear reduction one from GW that -maybe- doesn't require a solenoid? Let me know if I'm wrong, thanks again

d. Get a Bosch TDI starter and the adapter from Karl @ Westyventures…

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lostinavan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this thing I just broke? Reply with quote

Looks like westyventures doesn't sell starters any more, and the kit is $75 - any particular reason the tdi starter is better than the one offered by gw?
Red Beard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this thing I just broke? Reply with quote

Also, disconnect the battery before you work on the starter next time.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this thing I just broke? Reply with quote

lostinavan wrote:
Looks like westyventures doesn't sell starters any more, and the kit is $75 - any particular reason the tdi starter is better than the one offered by gw?

Lots of threads on that.

Not sure Karl ever sold starters, but his adapter is the thing. Buy the starter anywhere that has it. You can find it at any FLAPS, unlike the GW one.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: What's this thing I just broke? Reply with quote

The starter adapter allows you the option that, if it were to go bad, you can go to your local flaps and pick one up.
Also the Bosch starter is a MUCH better option,I have had to replace several of those high torque starters, and I will not fit another, you do not have to modify it out of the box, to make it work.

lostinavan wrote:

619 201 0310
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: What's this thing I just broke? Reply with quote

Also while you are at it, fit a new hard start relay, from thatvwbusguy, his stuff is about the best out there, can't you find a link to it right now.

619 201 0310
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: What's this thing I just broke? Reply with quote

markswagen wrote:
Also while you are at it, fit a new hard start relay, from thatvwbusguy, his stuff is about the best out there, can't you find a link to it right now.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search

Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: What's this thing I just broke? Reply with quote

A poster child thread for why adding crappy parts to solve other faulty parts is bad practice.

If your starter won’t hit start , fix the starter and /or wiring , don’t add more wiring and connections to go wrong
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: What's this thing I just broke? Reply with quote

Or carry a hammer.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
lostinavan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: What's this thing I just broke? Reply with quote

Cool, thanks again everyone.

Going to go with the adapter and tdi starter

Would that be a likely fix for the 'no crank' that led to the am solenoid being installed (and later led to me breaking it) Or would it be highly advisable to also do the hard start relay?
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: What's this thing I just broke? Reply with quote

lostinavan wrote:

Would that be a likely fix for the 'no crank' that led to the am solenoid being installed (and later led to me breaking it) Or would it be highly advisable to also do the hard start relay?

IMO, the short answers are "yes" and "no".

Its my understanding that a gear reduction starter typically requires less Amps to make it turn (it's certainly more mechanically efficient than the old style Bosch starter.) so its' solenoid probably requires less Amps? At the very least there'd be more Amps available to actuate the solenoid. So, if corrosion in wires to starter were part of the original issue, (it inhibits current flow), a new gear reduction starter would most likely not be affected as much by that.

For POV, various used old Bosch starters I used on my '81 with Jetta engine suffered from slow cranking. The last one would intermittently fail to even "click". Then, I installed a Mullendor plate and off shore gear reduction starter. Since then, I've had zero issues with solenoid and cranking. That said, and this would happen with any starter, driving the van only short distances tends to leave the starter battery a little undercharged; the starter does turn a little slower in that case but still works fine. Were it the old starter, I'd think it would turn quite slowly in that case.

I'm curious what happened to the aftermarket solenoid. Was it a used part when installed? Did time and road salt kill it? It sure looks gnarly. It also makes me wonder if a "continuous duty" rated solenoid would generally be a better quality part than that used for this application.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
calfredson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this thing I just broke? Reply with quote

The hard start relay is inexpensive and easy to install, particularly if you are doing the starter anyway. In addition to giving more amps to the starter, it also protects your ignition switch, so I would say there's no reason not to do it.
Dampcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this thing I just broke? Reply with quote

Photo of solenoid doesn't show much corrosion, the bakelite housing broke at the point where the lugs go through. If the heavy wires were pulled tight or hanging a lot of weight on those lugs that would strain it. Bakelite doesn't exactly have tensile strength.
lostinavan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this thing I just broke? Reply with quote

It wasn't broken until I wrenched on it. The nut for the cable connector was/is seized, so the whole Bakelite broke in half. Good times. Hopefully though, that flukish occurance will lead to the permanent solution of all starting issues with this van, ha ha
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What's this thing I just broke? Reply with quote

lostinavan wrote:
It wasn't broken until I wrenched on it. The nut for the cable connector was/is seized, so the whole Bakelite broke in half. Good times. Hopefully though, that flukish occurance will lead to the permanent solution of all starting issues with this van, ha ha

Dampcamper, lostinavan, ok. Thanks. Curious more than anything. Looking at the image, I'd assumed housing was corroded steel.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: