Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

will prices drop?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: will prices drop? Reply with quote

Not that the current prices of the classic beetles will stop me from purchasing one........but does anyone see the selling prices for the classic beetles ever dropping? Sure if we have an economy implosion again, they may. But I can only imagine they will keep going up and up as each year goes by.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: will prices drop? Reply with quote

Short version of my opinion:
- Nice cars will increase
- Crap will always be crap and may not go up, apart from inflation-related increases

A couple similar threads
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=675359
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662574
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: will prices drop? Reply with quote

VW's were inexpensive rides, well engineered for the price point, and only attained the status because of iconic body shape and fan base. As the fan base ages out, the support will wane

Agreed, nice cars, in original or close to it condition will maintain or increase, as they become more of a collectible item. Drivers and modified rides will maintain value, but not the same trajectory, as they will become more cobbled together as the part support dries up and changes are made

Please note the time frame I am referring to is generational.
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: will prices drop? Reply with quote

super beetles
late squarebacks
fastbacks
411's
412's

will probably continue to decline..
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: will prices drop? Reply with quote

vwinnovator wrote:
super beetles
late squarebacks
fastbacks
411's
412's

Meanwhile all the VWs that are shitty driving cars will increase in value.
Why anyone would pay $100K for a Splitty Bus, or a 356 Porsche for that matter, is beyond all logic.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: will prices drop? Reply with quote

I think there is still plenty of room for prices to continue to rise for bugs and bay window buses. I think we've seen the split window buses level out and in some cases decline a bit.

I've noticed the bay bus pricing really accelerate upward in the last 3-5 years. Especially the original, unmolested campers. Convertible bugs pricing as sucked for years and I've really seen no increases in the pricing of them. As an owner of one, It would be nice to see some upward movement in their pricing.

I'm also firmly in the camp that original, unmolested, rust free VW's are going to be leading the pack in rising prices. With the extraordinary costs of body work/paint and other restoration costs, these VW's will continue to demand the highest price point.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: will prices drop? Reply with quote

As the owner of a 73Thing, in great shape, those prices have been going up in the last few years. When I bought mine 6 years ago, the most American Collectors Ins. would allow was 16K, called recently, the lady on the phone was surprised and said I could get 25K. I always wanted a 70's Porsche, I think that watching those these last few years, it ain't gonna happen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: will prices drop? Reply with quote

Its the model T syndrome.....as the guys that like them died off, so did the following. You can buy a numbers matching perfect one for less than the cost of building one. I suspect vw's will follow the same fate.

I think bus value will always be stronger as the public uses them for camping etc...

Moving forward I think the tide pod eating generation will have little to no interest in them as we get pushed into "green" technology and the idea of a "pleasure" car will be far from thought.

Look at housing....many will pay 12-1800+ for renting an apartment rather than own...the thought is no ties to 1 area and be able to move on a moments notice. Can't usually have 2-3 cars in an apartment setting.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: will prices drop? Reply with quote

I don't think you can save money by waiting to purchase one. You might save 500 to 1000 by waiting for the next deep recession. But if the perfect one emerges for sale, then jump on it now.

Assuming you have basic mechanical interest and ability, I still think the beetle is the most economical way to travel regularly by auto.
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: will prices drop? Reply with quote

I think the recent thread on "raised up 58 bronze" is a perfect example of a once rat rod slammed Bug that was raised up, and the newer patina' style paint removed to expose the original paint. This car in my view will retain and gain more value in its now new state than the way it was.

Original unmolested cars are getting harder to find every day. They will always command a premium and increase in value more than customs / modified / rat rods / and even restored (depending on the condition of the original and the caliber of the restoration). Preservation of a nice original car will be the future trend. Hopefully they've not all been rat rodded by then.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: will prices drop? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Its the model T syndrome.....as the guys that like them died off, so did the following. You can buy a numbers matching perfect one for less than the cost of building one. I suspect vw's will follow the same fate.

I agree with this example Don but... there's also a distinct advantage of a classic VW over a model T. Driveability and practicality. Model T's can't really run on the streets much these days as a daily driver. They certainly are not safe on the freeways. A well mainted bus/bug/Ghia can still be a daily driver and keep up with most traffic on the freeway.

Too your point, I have no interest in cars from before the 60's. Model T? It does nothing for me. I'm sure the same will be said in the next 20-30 years with VW's as well.

At the end of the day, no one should count on a VW appreciating to a level that it will help fund their retirement. I own my VW's because I enjoy them and they're a great hobby. What they are worth to whoever gets them when I'm gone is not a concern of mine.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: will prices drop? Reply with quote

vwinnovator wrote:
super beetles
late squarebacks
fastbacks
411's
412's

Actually all of those you listed....are actually increasing in price...slowly...but increasing. Ray
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: will prices drop? Reply with quote

Prices reflect the economy period. Houses, cars, value of currency. How well we do always depends on markets and currency value. Everything is tied together. Controlling the economy is a delicate balance. A mistake is costly. For now in the immediate future things are good.
As far as your collector car goes there are things to consider in the LONG Term Future with things happening in Europe in general, UK and now California joining in with the ban of Diesel and gasoline cars starting in 2040 and once the demand for fuel goes down fuel supply will go down making gasoline a expensive commodity. Everyone knows where this will go. Just the rich and well connected will be able to afford the luxuries the middle class once had.
As far as new cars go, the middle and lower class cars will, like the middle class go away. We've already seen this happening with the deletion middle class cars like Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Mercury, Saturn etc.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: will prices drop? Reply with quote

I guess I was really born at the right time.
In 2040 I’ll be 86 years old.
If I’m still alive and able I’ll drive the Ghia, but something tells me otherwise
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: will prices drop? Reply with quote

I am not and expert, but have been following classic car prices for some time. Here's my take..(and just get any recent issues of Hemmings to verify). The serious muscle cars, Vettes, etc have gotten too expensive for most. What you are seeing are folks in their 40s or so wanting to get into the hobby and many want what they grew up with. You are seeing stuff like 70s and 80s station wagons and generally non-descript cars coming up in value for that reason.

EVERYONE had a VW in their family or watched the Love bug movies. The cars are becoming more popular with the new hobbyists and the value is reflecting that. But they are still relatively cheap and easy to work on.

So spending upper teens - mid 20s for a nice VW is still way cheaper than a Mustang or Camaro. They will peak in the next few years, but will still remain pretty stable in pricing. They will not be any cheaper than they are today...
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: will prices drop? Reply with quote

Bet on White.

If you're looking at which VWs will drop, stabilize or at most not appreciate anywhere near the rate of others- it's the white cars. No, lotus white deluxe buses don't count here.

I'm talking white '71 beetles, white '79 convertibles and '78 wannabe a cool convertible too beetle. White type 3s and 4s- forget it! Put a white '66 beetle on the corner and it will stay there longer than any java green or ruby red car. White early bays sell at much slower a rate than mustard yellow or red campers. White Things never sell for as much as orange or yellow. They're a fun car, so why have one colorless.

Now don't go pulling the race card either. Race vehicles always sell better when they're a color too.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Zeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: will prices drop? Reply with quote

Helfen wrote:
.... As far as new cars go, the middle and lower class cars will, like the middle class go away. We've already seen this happening with the deletion middle class cars like Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Mercury, Saturn etc.

Think about this one a little longer. It's not some conspiracy, the carmakers would love to sell what you call "middle class cars". The Taurus, Fusion, Camry, et al are still there, and they are very good. But the middle class customers would rather take on more debt and drive an SUV.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: will prices drop? Reply with quote

Zeen wrote:
Helfen wrote:
.... As far as new cars go, the middle and lower class cars will, like the middle class go away. We've already seen this happening with the deletion middle class cars like Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Mercury, Saturn etc.

Think about this one a little longer. It's not some conspiracy, the carmakers would love to sell what you call "middle class cars". The Taurus, Fusion, Camry, et al are still there, and they are very good. But the middle class customers would rather take on more debt and drive an SUV.

The makes that went away were redundant and no longer applicable. In the "old days" you started with a Chevy, then stepped up to something like a Buick or Olds, then when you arrived you got a Cadillac. Pontiac WAS too close to a Chevy. Buick and Olds were pretty much the same. And Mercury lost its identity as an upscale Ford. Plymouth became just a Dodge variant.....Makes a ton of sense to consolidate those lines.....
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: will prices drop? Reply with quote

Zeen wrote:
Helfen wrote:

I didn't understand that post either, I thought those cars mentioned lost market share and stopped being made. Maybe because they were shitty. Smile

Don't middle class people buy the smaller Hondas/Toyotas/Mazdas/etc. now? My mom has a Mazda 3, she had a Honda Civic before that.

What price range is a "middle class" car?
My wife has a used Mazda SUV. I checked and it's $24K new vs. $18K for the little Mazda 3 so definitely more money for the SUV but I don't know if $24K is out of the range for a middle class person? It seems like a zillion people have Honda Accords - those are around $24K too.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: will prices drop? Reply with quote

crankbait09 wrote:
Not that the current prices of the classic beetles will stop me from purchasing one........but does anyone see the selling prices for the classic beetles ever dropping? Sure if we have an economy implosion again, they may. But I can only imagine they will keep going up and up as each year goes by.

I think Classic Cars in general are bad investments. If you can find those diamonds in the rough and buy them for a song, sure they are decent "investment", but the internet has spoiled a lot of that. In general, classic cars are no different than baseball cards and market pricing is based purely on supply and demand. So, in order to keep pricing strong on a fixed supply, demand needs to remain strong. So best raise your kids in VWs so we can sell our shit later on down the road.

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: