Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

So They Call It the Darkside??
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
robert reese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: So They Call It the Darkside?? Reply with quote

Hey everyone , well it happen . some how I found myself with another vw. its a 2001 eurovan with 43000 miles!! so now I have the euro and a 91 westy. I only need one .so looking thru the forums the transmission seems pretty scary .do all eurovans come with bad transmissions ? what should i be looking for or doing to avoid this problem. secondly i'm glad to see that the eurovan can be lifted higher pretty easily .but is possible to raise it to much in the front. I have enjoy the vanagon forums for 5 years the help is more than I could of asked for.I glad to see that I won't be left alone with the eruovan either .I'm sure I will have many more question to come. thanks for being here.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: SO THEY CALL IT THE DARKSIDE ?? Reply with quote

Congrats on the successful transition into sanity. What model EV did you get? All the automatics eventually experience hiccups, but always be skeptical when the kneejerk response is to undergo a full rebuild. Many have reported that a simple replacement of the ribbon cable or a new/rebuilt valve body cured their shifting woes.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: SO THEY CALL IT THE DARKSIDE ?? Reply with quote

Who is they?

Most of your EV questions can be addressed here. Welcome.
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
85redstripe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: SO THEY CALL IT THE DARKSIDE ?? Reply with quote

I assumed Vanagonites? I ran an '85 for many years and had difficulty with the transition to my '02 MV but holy, holy. It's the best.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:16 am    Post subject: Re: So They Call It the Darkside ?? Reply with quote

Drain and fill the ATF and enjoy the trans another 160,000 miles
Scottn59c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: So They Call It the Darkside ?? Reply with quote

Well, welcome to the "darkside"!

Others have already offered good advice, but I'll add the link to the oft read and referenced article from GoWesty about the "danger zone" for EV transmissions, which the one you've acquired is technically in. If you haven't read the article, it should be very informative.

http://www.gowesty.com/tech-article-details.php?id=56

Good luck with your new wheels!
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: So They Call It the Darkside ?? Reply with quote

I love the simplicity of my fleet of Vanagons but my 2001 GLS is like a factory modified Vanagon with the best upgrades you could ever want!
-high power engine
-big brakes
-5 speed automatic transmission
-huge sway bars front and back
-huge CV joints
-dual zone climate control AC
-cruise control, esp, abs
-Better seats! Laughing
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: So They Call It the Darkside ?? Reply with quote

On T4 auto tranmissions

With the Camper package, stressful driving, poor maintenance -early death

With T4 tintops, weekenders, proper maintenance and driven like normal - great life.

Doom and gloomers here are usually folks who bought a 'cheap' T4 only to find the AT was blown and missed on PPI.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: So They Call It the Darkside ?? Reply with quote

a T4 isn't the "dark side"

going AWD Astrovan is the "dark side"

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: So They Call It the Darkside ?? Reply with quote

That's an Astroglide into oblivion...

y u rune klassik?
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: So They Call It the Darkside ?? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
On T4 auto tranmissions With the Camper package, stressful driving, poor maintenance -early death With T4 tintops, weekenders, proper maintenance and driven like normal - great life. ...

Sure, more load may have a small effect, but recall that a number or owners haul huge boats with EV automatics without instant death. Drive conservatively and with fingers crossed, but don't be afraid to go around w/a camper package.
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: So They Call It the Darkside ?? Reply with quote

We used to.call them slushboxes back in 60s n 70s my first car a Studebaker convt had one n rrverse went n we drove it for months like that! :-)nothing is really that different 50+ years lateralter
nacradriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: So They Call It the Darkside ?? Reply with quote

robert reese wrote:
Hey everyone , well it happen . some how I found myself with another vw. its a 2001 eurovan with 43000 miles!! so now I have the euro and a 91 westy. I only need one .so looking thru the forums the transmission seems pretty scary .do all eurovans come with bad transmissions ? what should i be looking for or doing to avoid this problem. secondly i'm glad to see that the eurovan can be lifted higher pretty easily .but is possible to raise it to much in the front. I have enjoy the vanagon forums for 5 years the help is more than I could of asked for.I glad to see that I won't be left alone with the eruovan either .I'm sure I will have many more question to come. thanks for being here.

Toyota Sienna would be the dark side... Very Happy

I just sold my 89 Vanaogn Westy and may start looking to a EV MV Tin Top for weekend and beach car.

That said, I see someone has already recommended the Go Westy article... For what it is worth, my neighbors have a 2003 MV Pop-Top with about 190K and never a problem... they are both teachers and every summer go off on a x-country adventure... as well it being a daily driver... The will tell you there have been some surprises with the actual cost of some maintenance by VW, but they have never experience a transmission, timing chain, ABS, or AC problems that seem to be the major problems. They also put the tranny cooler on and I think was done by Go Westy when they were still working on vans.. They are pretty religious about the scheduled maintenance.
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: So They Call It the Darkside ?? Reply with quote

I researched Vanagon vs Eurovan. GoWesty said 26 out of 30 criteria the Eurovan is better than a Vanagon, the only drawback is offroadability.

I don't see it as a drawback. Eurovan doesn't have the long front porch compared to the Vanagon. Approach angle is a big deal offroading, Eurovan is better.

Breakover angle Vanagon is better with the short wheelbase, but the tradeoff is liveability. The extra room in the Eurovan is nice. Add in the Suburban furnace, grey tank, interior storage for hauling my generator, etc, Eurovan is better.

I won't waste my time looking to buy a Vanagon, I'll only look at better Eurovans than this '95.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: So They Call It the Darkside ?? Reply with quote

I'm now daily driving my Vanagon and love it quite a bit. But, there's no bloody comparison between it and our EV. None. It's not even close.

y u rune klassik?
robert reese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: So They Call It the Darkside ?? Reply with quote

Just got done fixing the vanagon power window unit . It was the only thing that went wrong on has my wife says our last camping trip in her[the van] Asheville NC to Huntsville AL. But I'm still having a hard time going to the[dark side] eurovan. maybe putting some plates on the eurovan and driving it will move me over. Right now the vanagon pushed the eurovan out of the barn into the out of doors.The eurovan will have to wait because we are heading out west to do some hiking for the summer . I wish I could get my wife to turn in her hiking boots !!!
CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: So They Call It the Darkside ?? Reply with quote

robert reese wrote:
Just got done fixing the vanagon power window unit . It was the only thing that went wrong on has my wife says our last camping trip in her[the van] Asheville NC to Huntsville AL. But I'm still having a hard time going to the[dark side] eurovan. maybe putting some plates on the eurovan and driving it will move me over. Right now the vanagon pushed the eurovan out of the barn into the out of doors.The eurovan will have to wait because we are heading out west to do some hiking for the summer . I wish I could get my wife to turn in her hiking boots !!!

WHAT?!? She sounds like a keeper.
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: So They Call It the Darkside?? Reply with quote

I've owned the minimalist '67 VW Westfalia. Next step up would be the Vanagon. I figured I'd skip a step and get the Eurovan. Seems alright to me after lifting it. Has some nice conveniences and does well offroad.
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: So They Call It the Darkside?? Reply with quote

I just noticed the Vanagon has the 16 gallon fuel tank, 21g in the Eurovan is better, there was some things I thought the Eurovan Winnie was a better deal for comparable buying price. Eurovan Winnie absolutely needed a lift and 16" wheels, but that wasn't too hard on the wallet.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: