Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Beetle 1960 1200 conversion to 1600
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle 1960 1200 conversion to 1600 Reply with quote

turbotype1 wrote:
karl h wrote:
a 60 has the early style sheet metal at the front of the engine bay. if you want to stuff a motor with heaterboxes into it, you have to modify it. just FYI

Not sure about this. Put a 1600 single port into a friends 60 a couple of years ago with fresh air heater boxes.... Although it is a tight fit, we didn't have to modify the front sheet metal.

I’m real sure because I’ve done it many times. Leave heater boxes off until motor is in. In fact leave off header, fuel pump, carb,distributor, gen pulley, breast plate and engine install is easy. Cursing is at a minimum and it’s not that hard to put all that stuff back on engine in.

Below is a 1964 deluxe that I installed a 1600 single port into, it also had doghouse tin, cooler and fan. Ran like a top plenty of giddy up, was missing 40 hp engine when I got it.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
turbotype1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle 1960 1200 conversion to 1600 Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
turbotype1 wrote:
karl h wrote:
a 60 has the early style sheet metal at the front of the engine bay. if you want to stuff a motor with heaterboxes into it, you have to modify it. just FYI

Not sure about this. Put a 1600 single port into a friends 60 a couple of years ago with fresh air heater boxes.... Although it is a tight fit, we didn't have to modify the front sheet metal.

I’m real sure because I’ve done it many times. Leave heater boxes off until motor is in. In fact leave off header, fuel pump, carb,distributor, gen pulley, breast plate and engine install is easy. Cursing is at a minimum and it’s not that hard to put all that stuff back on engine in.

Below is a 1964 deluxe that I installed a 1600 single port into, it also had doghouse tin, cooler and fan. Ran like a top plenty of giddy up, was missing 40 hp engine when I got it.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So what modifications did you do to the front sheetmetal?
All I'm trying to say is that we did not have to modify the sheetmetal to put a 1600 into his 60.
This new fad of get it the lowest, or run it with the worst looks, (patina) isn't cool, it's for the hey everyone look at me crowd, i'm driving a beat down ratty, unsafe, VW, how cool am I ???...your not....

Pissing off the purists since 1997

Wanted: Boyd Motors plate frame

57 Turbo Oval Sliding rag
67 13 window delux walk-thru- now 21
64 all original for the misses
83 Sinka m-TDI diesel
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle 1960 1200 conversion to 1600 Reply with quote

turbotype1 wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
turbotype1 wrote:

I’m real sure because I’ve done it many times. Leave heater boxes off until motor is in.

So what modifications did you do to the front sheetmetal?
All I'm trying to say is that we did not have to modify the sheetmetal to put a 1600 into his 60.

Zundfolge1432 is actually confirming what you are saying!
I will also confirm it . . . I installed "doghouse" 1600 engines into my 1956 Bug and my 1962 Bug WITHOUT cutting anything on the body.
Leave the heat-exchangers off of the engine until the engine is bolted to the transaxle.
turbotype1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle 1960 1200 conversion to 1600 Reply with quote

Gotcha.... Thanks

Pete
This new fad of get it the lowest, or run it with the worst looks, (patina) isn't cool, it's for the hey everyone look at me crowd, i'm driving a beat down ratty, unsafe, VW, how cool am I ???...your not....

Pissing off the purists since 1997

Wanted: Boyd Motors plate frame

57 Turbo Oval Sliding rag
67 13 window delux walk-thru- now 21
64 all original for the misses
83 Sinka m-TDI diesel
karl h
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle 1960 1200 conversion to 1600 Reply with quote

i should rephrase: its a royal pita to get the engine in. it can be done, thats correct
86 Caravelle
04 new beetle vert
planenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle 1960 1200 conversion to 1600 Reply with quote

If you stick the 1600 in, my advice, from experience in my '66, is to make sure you use stock oil pump, and keep the oil pressure within the designed limits. Too high an oil pressure when using a doghouse engine, will keep the cooler bypass in the 'bypass' position.n This means no oil thru the cooler, and overheating is a problem. I had to remove my 30mm oil pump, and put stock back in to get my oil pressure back to specs. Just a little advice, do what you want with it. Good looking car, by the way.
DJG66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle 1960 1200 conversion to 1600 Reply with quote

herbie1200 wrote:
1200 engines are very rare, I think they should be preserved.

Follow the hints above to take a stock 1600 engine and keep (or rebuild or, if you don't have space to keep, sell) the original 1200.

Look at VW shops: 1200 cylinders/Piston/Head set cost twice the value of 1600 parts.

The same for intake manifold.

Plus a 1200 with all its original parts has an intrinsic value, today and especially in the future.

I know.

As I have said, not my car. The guy decided to do it, and is doing it. Who is on Facebook, check out Mad Beetle 1303

Who is not, the restoration album is here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.69064845...a5fa189b7a

For the time being, the block is modified for a larger oil cooler, the crank from an AB engine is in, and so on... the cooling shroud modifications are ongoing.

Lots of 1200 engines in Serbia still, if you need some, let us know.

I will post some of the pics of the work
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: