Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build)
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Home Built by Jeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I am new to the beetle world, but I have been busy restoring an old 911 for the past couple of years, so that sort of counts. I have just recently ventured into the world of Beetles and I have picked up a surprisingly rust free '71 Super.

I have a YouTube channel as an outlet for my love of restoring classic cars, and I am really excited to get stuck into this new project. I am only new to the Beetle world so I am keen for any advice you guys can give me.

Anyway, here is my first video to give you an intro to the car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCpUFBxuRv0
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

Jeff, congratulations on the new project. Not too shabby, really.

Check out the sticky’s in this forum. Beetle builds and such. There will be a host of teachings there for you.

The ticking in the back is hopefully only a cv joint. If not, a wheel bearing, but not as likely. I’m thinking cv.

The rust at the door pillar might be from the drain at the bottom of the sill. Stuff gets into the “dark hole” from inside the trunk and plugs it up. After taking off the running board, you’ll see the drain area just in front of the pillar.
Clean it out or it’ll happen again.

For exterior, Marina Blue and white (or cream) would look nice. Marina is a kind of sky blue VW color. It would go well with a cream interior.

Good luck, and keep the videos coming.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

P.s. that wooden steering wheel will be easy to sell in the Samba Classifieds. And you can also pick up a nice stock one there, as well.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Home Built by Jeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Jeff, congratulations on the new project. Not too shabby, really.

Check out the sticky’s in this forum. Beetle builds and such. There will be a host of teachings there for you.

The ticking in the back is hopefully only a cv joint. If not, a wheel bearing, but not as likely. I’m thinking cv.

The rust at the door pillar might be from the drain at the bottom of the sill. Stuff gets into the “dark hole” from inside the trunk and plugs it up. After taking off the running board, you’ll see the drain area just in front of the pillar.
Clean it out or it’ll happen again.

For exterior, Marina Blue and white (or cream) would look nice. Marina is a kind of sky blue VW color. It would go well with a cream interior.

Good luck, and keep the videos coming.

Tim

Thanks for the tips. I will check out that drain. I have to cut out the rust there obviously, so I will clear it out and stop it from continuing.

I am starting to sway towards either a pale blue or turquoise over white.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

I had to laugh. Marina Blue is a pale blue. Although, turquoise might work well with light-colored seats.

You decide Shocked !

Tim

Richard O'Brien
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

With a few lines of booger sugar, you could have a great career as a "As Seen On TV" pitchman. Laughing

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
jderianSF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

Hey Jeff!

I've been watching your videos for a while now, and really enjoy them. The Porsche is turning out fantastic. I'm sure the Datsun is going to be excellent as well. Do you still have the Alfa?

I really appreciate your work ethic, and how you are not afraid to admit mistakes. It's refreshing to see someone laugh at their own mistakes, learn from them and improve.

I had some ticking in the rear of my '70 standard beetle, and adjusting the brakes cured it. Since the car is new to you, and before you go driving it much, I'd suggest adjusting all four brakes, as well as replacing the brake fluid.

Good luck, and I look forward to more videos.

P.S. Please give my regards to "Mrs. Jeff" Keep those fun facts coming!
Home Built by Jeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
With a few lines of booger sugar, you could have a great career as a "As Seen On TV" pitchman. Laughing

Haha, thanks, I think Laughing
Home Built by Jeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:19 am    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

jderianSF wrote:
Hey Jeff!

I've been watching your videos for a while now, and really enjoy them. The Porsche is turning out fantastic. I'm sure the Datsun is going to be excellent as well. Do you still have the Alfa?

I really appreciate your work ethic, and how you are not afraid to admit mistakes. It's refreshing to see someone laugh at their own mistakes, learn from them and improve.

I had some ticking in the rear of my '70 standard beetle, and adjusting the brakes cured it. Since the car is new to you, and before you go driving it much, I'd suggest adjusting all four brakes, as well as replacing the brake fluid.

Good luck, and I look forward to more videos.

P.S. Please give my regards to "Mrs. Jeff" Keep those fun facts coming!

Thanks mate. I will have a look at the brakes. Next week I can hopefully get onto lowering the car, and then I can start to look at a full service and check out the brakes. I am learning as I go on the beetle, but they are so simple it is really fun and stress free to work on.

Jeff
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

Home Built by Jeff wrote:
...Anyway, here is my first video to give you an intro to the car.

The mysterious spring & screw in your vid @ aprx. 3:10 seem to be the throttle arm stop adjustment.

Items 35 & 51 here: https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/catalogues/Kaefer-1302-1303/index-sd.html#/232

Top right:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Your carb might be a Solex PICT-3 which has a different screw there.
May be this is why the one in question "lay around" in the engine bay... Laughing

Really enjoyed the vid! Oz Bugs are cool as well as you folks down under... Cool
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

Welcome Jeff Very Happy

I absolutely love your 911 videos, specially the paint/booth ones. Really cool that you're here. Have fun with your bug, it looks great.
Home Built by Jeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

Maddel wrote:
Home Built by Jeff wrote:
...Anyway, here is my first video to give you an intro to the car.

The mysterious spring & screw in your vid @ aprx. 3:10 seem to be the throttle arm stop adjustment.

Items 35 & 51 here: https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/catalogues/Kaefer-1302-1303/index-sd.html#/232

Top right:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Your carb might be a Solex PICT-3 which has a different screw there.
May be this is why the one in question "lay around" in the engine bay... Laughing

Really enjoyed the vid! Oz Bugs are cool as well as you folks down under... Cool

Finally found where it came from and you got it. It is the one in the photo for the stepper adjustment for the automatic choke. I obviously have to do something to stop it loosening up and falling out.
Home Built by Jeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

Mrs Jeff finally gets her first drive of the Beetle, but it doesn't exactly go as planned.

https://youtu.be/XiBk2FzNjqk
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

No idea about the stalling at this point... A full engine service and tune-up may help.
Regarding the shifting issues there's a good chance the shift rod bushing is bad.
Also check the shift rod coupler and the shifter adjustment...

Some info here:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=157519
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=690932
Home Built by Jeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

Yep, I think the first thing to do is to replace the bushings. That should sort out a heap of my problems.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

The shifter looked very sloppy, especially when you told your wife that the car was in gear and you moved the shifter considerably. It should not be anywhere near that sloppy. New shift rod bushing, new coupler, and check that you even have a coupler set screw that is safety wired.

Prepare for buying a new starter, that is if you continue to run it on and on and on like that when it stalls out and the engine refuses to start again.

I’m guessing, but it seemed you weren’t getting any fuel while trying to restart the engine after stalling. How hot was the day when you were driving? Are any metal fuel lines resting on a hot manifold, which may cause vapor lock?

Have you tuned up the car? A complete tune up, that is.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Home Built by Jeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

I will be giving the car a full service in the next week or so, replacing the coil, points, etc, etc, so we will see how it goes after that.
Home Built by Jeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

This week my priority was to make the Beetle look a whole lot better, by lowering the front end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lye2XSAtLTQ&feature=youtu.be
Home Built by Jeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

This week I thought I would tackle the rust at the base of the A pillar on the Beetle, and of course there was more than I thought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8P_Q6BxKKc&feature=youtu.be
Home Built by Jeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

I thought the best way to tackle my hot starting issues with the Beetle was to start by giving it a full service. So first up it is valves and timing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGwf0wHXsgE
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: