Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Home Built by Jeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
You can reach some of it through the cavity at the top corners on either side of the engine bay. With a coat hanger you can practice your technique for your own back alley abortion clinic.

Hahaha Laughing Laughing
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

If you have no visible indication of death foam damage—even a tiny bubble on the outside of the car, which indicates much more damage under the skin—then don’t worry about the crescent areas ... below and behind them, that is. If you’re a welder, you might consider welding crescent plates in the crescent holes and a little bondo to make it look good. That way, you’ll keep from getting any death foam damage in the future—except if you live in a very humid environment—so I’ve heard.

When removing doors, you should have supported them, so as not to bend the hinges after removing one of a pair.

Also, I hope you marked the wiring with tags. It helps a lot when re-wiring.

It was 109 F here, day before yesterday. I’d love to have some cold weather for awhile.

It looks like you’re well on your way. What color paint have you chosen?

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Home Built by Jeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
If you have no visible indication of death foam damage—even a tiny bubble on the outside of the car, which indicates much more damage under the skin—then don’t worry about the crescent areas ... below and behind them, that is. If you’re a welder, you might consider welding crescent plates in the crescent holes and a little bondo to make it look good. That way, you’ll keep from getting any death foam damage in the future—except if you live in a very humid environment—so I’ve heard.

When removing doors, you should have supported them, so as not to bend the hinges after removing one of a pair.

Also, I hope you marked the wiring with tags. It helps a lot when re-wiring.

It was 109 F here, day before yesterday. I’d love to have some cold weather for awhile.

It looks like you’re well on your way. What color paint have you chosen?

Tim

I took photo's of the wiring, because as you say, it is a pain in the butt without them.

I will have a look at the coat hanger method for the foam. I could pretty easily weld in the crescents, but I have already bought new inserts so I will just leave them for the time being.

As for the colour, I revealed the spray outs on instagram, but it is going Beat Blue over White.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

There's a lot of foam you can't get to without an opening in the side. I read somewhere else that a threaded rod might work for hard to reach areas, but I haven't tried this yet myself. I'm not sure that sealing them even in humid environments would hurt Tim. The c-pillars are a cavity that open to the inside of the passenger compartment, though covered by the headliner.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

Also, Jeff, you might want to check out why the captive nut inside your right fender wheel well broke off. There may be something going on—bad rust—because the drain opening in the bottom of that nearby pillar is plugged.

With the running board off, look just before the pillar for an opening. Is it plugged and allowing water to sit?

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Home Built by Jeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Also, Jeff, you might want to check out why the captive nut inside your right fender wheel well broke off. There may be something going on—bad rust—because the drain opening in the bottom of that nearby pillar is plugged.

With the running board off, look just before the pillar for an opening. Is it plugged and allowing water to sit?

Tim

Thanks Tim. Will do.
Home Built by Jeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

This week the plan was to clean up the shell of the car and get a coat of primer on it. I say was....

Link

Last edited by Home Built by Jeff on Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

Jeff - here's what may be going on behind those moon vents....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

Jeff - are you using a flux wire welder?

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Home Built by Jeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Jeff - are you using a flux wire welder?

No, I am using gas. I used gasless for many years, but once you start using gas, you realise how much better it is and you will never go back. Thankfully now in Aus' we don't have to rent the gas bottles anymore. We can just buy a bottle and when it is empty we can just swap it over for a full one.
Home Built by Jeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Jeff - here's what may be going on behind those moon vents....

I have seen those issues on lots of Beetles, but mine looks and feels solid there.
Home Built by Jeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

This week I finally get the body of the Beetle in primer.

Link

Last edited by Home Built by Jeff on Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

What grit sandpaper did you use to rough up the old paint?

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Home Built by Jeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

I used 320 , but if you are just rubbing back to spray colour, you can use 800. I used coarser as I know I was using high-fill primer anyway.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

Great work/vid as always Wink
Home Built by Jeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

This week we get the bottom half of the 2 tone paint job on the shell of John Lemon.

Link

Last edited by Home Built by Jeff on Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

Jeff, did the circular sanding leave any swirls? And let us see how you took care of the small runs.

Also, is Mrs. Jeff the only one who makes bloopers? Fair is fair. You might include a few of your own Rolling Eyes .

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Home Built by Jeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

No swirls. Using a finer grit you should never see any sanding marks through the paint. The worst you could get using a DA sander if you don't know what you are doing is get ripples in the paint, where you have sanded too much in one spot.

As for the bloopers, I never make mistakes ...cough.. Embarassed
Home Built by Jeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

I have finally got the new colour on John Lemon and it looks awesome!

Link

Last edited by Home Built by Jeff on Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Home Built by Jeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

This week I tidy up and put some primer on the rest of John Lemon's parts.
Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get my steering wheel to work...?

Link

Last edited by Home Built by Jeff on Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: