Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

Seems like you’ll have to get the correct steering wheel, Jeff. Hopefully, they’ll swap it out for you. And hopefully, they offer the same steering wheel (the earlier type, that is) with the larger splines.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
yol
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

Hey Jeff,

Great videos!!

feels like you are really enjoying the process!

here's my advise to you - for anything that has to do with our kind of beetles - assume nothing. any part that you need/buy, make triple check to make sure it will fit your model and even after you did - always be prepared for it not to be the correct fit.
in most cases it will be ok, but for your model (and especially for RHD beetles) you should take extra care when ordering parts.
anyway, you are in the right place - TS is the greatest knowledge base for our beetles. anything that you do - several others already done it and documented it and even more made it in wrong way (and documented it)...

myself i'm in the process of renewing a '77 F.I. vert.
have another '73 SB which i already overhauled about 8 years ago.

looking forward to see your progress !!
Home Built by Jeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

This week I cut out my runs and get some paint on the doors.

Link

Last edited by Home Built by Jeff on Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

Good work, Jeff.

By the way, once, many years ago, a commercial was being shot at my place of business. They took about thirty takes of the actors as they said the same thing over and over. There were a number of bloopers.

So tell the Mrs. not to feel weird when she screws up her lines. Even the pros do.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Home Built by Jeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

Absolutely. I could make it easier for her, setting up a teleprompter, but where is the fin in that Laughing
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

But then it just looks weird when you see the person scrolling back & forth with their eyes. She's doing a great job as are you but she's a lot more fun to look at Laughing Am I the only one that think the outtakes are the best part?

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

Home Built by Jeff wrote:

https://youtu.be/uXMJBabDzXw

I like that trick you showed with using tape on ends / corners of a single-edge razor blade!

Wish I had known something like that earlier — I’ve been screwing up stuff with razor blades for years... Sad

baldessariclan -- often in error, never in doubt...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
yol
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

Absolutely. I could make it easier for her, setting up a teleprompter, but where is the fin in that Laughing

Jeff, just curious - did you sand/glass/soda/walnut blast the doors prior to painting inside AND out?
Home Built by Jeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

yol wrote:

Jeff, just curious - did you sand/glass/soda/walnut blast the doors prior to painting inside AND out?

Nope. This is a quick rolling resto on this car.
yol
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

yol wrote:

i started with the same state of mind but then it overcame me - i've already took all apart, why not walk the extra mile and reach all corners...? i mean, i'm putting so much effort on restoring it, the difference between making it 100% and 95%, well its only 5% to add and i know the only possible person to (maybe) re-do it is my 6y.o. daugther 😁
Home Built by Jeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

yol wrote:
yol wrote:

i started with the same state of mind but then it overcame me - i've already took all apart, why not walk the extra mile and reach all corners...? i mean, i'm putting so much effort on restoring it, the difference between making it 100% and 95%, well its only 5% to add and i know the only possible person to (maybe) re-do it is my 6y.o. daugther 😁

Because that extra 5% more than doubles the amount of time on the build. That is what I have done on my 911 and my 240z. I got this Beetle as a simple rolling resto, and that is what I have done.
yol
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

yol wrote:
yol wrote:

Because that extra 5% more than doubles the amount of time on the build. That is what I have done on my 911 and my 240z. I got this Beetle as a simple rolling resto, and that is what I have done.

and a great job you do. no doubt about it. love your work, your way of working, the videos you produce...i admire all of it!
jderianSF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

Not that I have personal experience, but i have seen a pro put a slight bow in the razor blade. He just bent it a little to avoid the corners digging in as well.

baldessariclan wrote:

I like that trick you showed with using tape on ends / corners of a single-edge razor blade!

Wish I had known something like that earlier — I’ve been screwing up stuff with razor blades for years... Sad

Home Built by Jeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

jderianSF wrote:
Not that I have personal experience, but i have seen a pro put a slight bow in the razor blade. He just bent it a little to avoid the corners digging in as well.

baldessariclan wrote:

You can definitely use a razor blade with out the ends taped. You often bend it slightly as necessary either way. I like to spend 30 seconds putting the tape on the ends for a bit of insurance, as you can bet if I can stuff it up I will Wink
Home Built by Jeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

This week I get all the remaining parts of my Beetle 'John Lemon' painted, but it doesn't all go to plan.

Link

Last edited by Home Built by Jeff on Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Home Built by Jeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

Finally getting into the fun stuff on John Lemon, the re-assembly.

Link

Last edited by Home Built by Jeff on Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

Good video. Now tell us how did you got all the runs fixed from the previous video?

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Home Built by Jeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

Minor details for later Laughing
Home Built by Jeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

This week I continue assembling John Lemon. It is not done, but at least now I can now drive it again.

Link

Last edited by Home Built by Jeff on Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Home Built Project Beetle (Full video build) Reply with quote

Woo-Hoo! Back on the road again, congrats! Smile

I just did the same with mine a couple weeks back — reinstalled the rear fenders, tail lights, bumper, and etc. (after sitting for few months, following some paint work). So nice to be able to drive again!

...Well at least until the fuel pump started leaking and generator light flickering. *sigh* So some more work to do, as always — no rest for the wicked...

baldessariclan -- often in error, never in doubt...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: