Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

68 swb 911 hose questions
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: 68 swb 911 hose questions Reply with quote

Gday.
I have electronic ignition fitted with an msd. The dist vac line is disconnected. On both banks of webers there is a rubber bung fitted at the base near the rear I presume originally it was fitted to one of these ??? Or do I have a hole that is somewhere unplugged.
Also on the base of the air cleaner I have an outlet open to the air. This is on the clean side of it. Thus should it have a plug or does this have a hose going somewhere. I can't have dirty air being sucked in.
I have just bought this car and it does not run. I'm going thru what I can before I give it a crank.
Thabks Lyndon
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: 68 swb 911 hose questions Reply with quote

The air cleaner fitting is for crankcase ventilation there should be a hose, usually from near that side of the motor that goes to it. Make sure you are getting spark to the plugs and 12 volts to the MSD as aftermarket kits tend to fail also check all the fuses and make sure the ends are clean and shinny as a lot of problems can be traced to here. Pictures help a lot to see what wrong with an area you are having problems with. Real clean looking car. There should be a small hose from a carb or carb base to the dist. vacuum can as it needs to be hooked up. You need to buy a good manual to help you tune and repair the car yourself.
Gum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 swb 911 hose questions Reply with quote

Can you give more info on the vent for the air cleaner. E.g. does it go to a rocker cover etc.near side is drivers side ???
Lyndon
Gum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 swb 911 hose questions Reply with quote

Can you give more info on the vent for the air cleaner. E.g. does it go to a rocker cover etc.near side is drivers side ???
Lyndon
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 swb 911 hose questions Reply with quote

There should be a bracket with a PVC valve on top of the motor mounted in a bracket, but I'm beginning to think all that stuff has been removed. Look for a hose with the same I.D as the air cleaner nipple O.D. that's not hooked up or another nipple that same size on a valve cover, people make strange changes for weird reasons. When you get it running look for crankcase fumes coming from some where that's what needs to go to the carb nipple. Tape up the air cleaner nipple until you have it hooked up. Sorry I've never had to mess with those hoses so memory wasn't retained, maybe someone with one now will chime in. Was it sitting long and can you ask the previous owner why its not running?
Gum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 swb 911 hose questions Reply with quote

I got it off a middle man. Non runner. I have bigger issues but. Motor only turns through about 45 degrees.
Lyndon [/url]
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 swb 911 hose questions Reply with quote

Try removing all the plugs and turning it, maybe the carb float on one carb stuck and gas filled a cylinder, unless you see a rod sticking out the case somewhere. If it's dead a 912 will bolt in, less HP but you are still in a fine Porsche. Good luck.
Gum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 swb 911 hose questions Reply with quote

Its a valve or chain. I will repair it no biggie. Got for cheap. Body is great. That's where the money is.
Lyndon
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: