Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Leveling Bed after 1.8T Conversion
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Leveling Bed after 1.8T Conversion Reply with quote

What have folks done to level their Westy beds after a 1.8T conversion?

Raising the engine deck lid to fit the 1.8T means that the Westy fold-up seat/bed is now nearly 2" lower than the engine deck lid.

The cheapest and simplest solution is to carry a 2" piece of foam that's the width of the bed and just flop that on there to make up height difference, but I'm wondering if there's a better way...

Is it possible to extend the bed hinge up 2 inches? I realize that there would be a gap above the seat cabinet if the hinge got extended, but it would be simple enough to fab a taller seat cabinet front panel and replace the stock one.

I'd rather not have to schlep a piece of extra foam around as well as having to sew a cover for it.

Ideas?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Leveling Bed after 1.8T Conversion Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=670249&highlight=1.8t+foam
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: Leveling Bed after 1.8T Conversion Reply with quote

Shaving the rear cushion does seem like the simplest thing to do. I'd only do it if altering the cover could be reversed - in case I don't like the thinner cushion. I'm sure a sewing shop could manage that.

I looked on Rhino Designs site and didn't see anything about altering the bed hinge. I'll email them and see what they say.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Michael4104
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Leveling Bed after 1.8T Conversion Reply with quote

Change the seat hinge to the bay window hinges. The seat will lay even with the back cushion. Here’s what mine look like. My motor surround may be taller than yours.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Vnyd Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Leveling Bed after 1.8T Conversion Reply with quote

YEah lots a lot taller. It was my post that was linked. Rhino is great and will get back to you. They modify (raise I think) the box the bench sits on. I didn't get pricing. Yes some have had luck shaving the OE foam. I opted to order new, thinner foam and keep the OE cover and I'm quite happy with that solution. No need to over-complicate it or visit an upholstery shop. Sew-fine can also do a full custom solution for you as well. There are options.
izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Leveling Bed after 1.8T Conversion Reply with quote

1404 - can you elaborate on that?

What happens to the seat in its upright position when using the bay hinge? Is there a gap to the kick panel underneath it?

VnydDog - you say you got new, thinner foam (good idea) but didn't you alter the OE cover to fit or did you just leave it loose?

thanks
Vnyd Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Leveling Bed after 1.8T Conversion Reply with quote

Honestly with OE it's pretty tight, so by adding a thinner piece of foam, it's a little baggy but not that bad at all. Honestly no one would notice. I can snap a pic if you want. I happen to have my Westy at the office today.
izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Leveling Bed after 1.8T Conversion Reply with quote

Thanks, a pic would be great.

What type of foam did you use to replace it?

I replaced my upper bunk foam with memory foam and use it as a topper for the lower bed sometimes, but I think it would be too soft for the lower.

Foam comes in different grades and the OE engine cover foam seems pretty stiff, which would be fine for the thinner replacement but I don't know what grade it is.

Thanks again.
Vnyd Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Leveling Bed after 1.8T Conversion Reply with quote

Credit to BlueGrasser who provided this info to me which I then also ordered from foambymail.com

Here's the info from my invoice about two years ago. Hope it helps.

Cushion, Lux Foam - High Quality WITH DACRON WRAP
: 2" x 36" x 47"
1 $64.07 $64.07

Pic in a bit.
izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Leveling Bed after 1.8T Conversion Reply with quote

Thank you, sir!
Vnyd Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Leveling Bed after 1.8T Conversion Reply with quote

izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Leveling Bed after 1.8T Conversion Reply with quote

Looks great. Thanks for the foam info!
almo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Leveling Bed after 1.8T Conversion Reply with quote

German Motor werks will do a spacer.

http://germanmotorwerks.homestead.com/Vanagon.html

They will also fix up the cushion to fit around the spacer pretty tidy I say but no extra storage. Looks just like normal when cushion is in. I can't seem to locate a pic of the cushion but they do it.

Cheers

P.S I'm the guy that bought ur SVX engine way back. I'm in the middle of a 1.8t conversions..... lol so that's how that went.... the eg33 is supposed to be in some baja bug in NV

1986 2.1L Westy 2wd 4-spd Sold!!!!
1987 2.1L Westy syncro
2005 Subaru legacy 2.5Gt Wagon 5sp MT
Michael4104
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Leveling Bed after 1.8T Conversion Reply with quote

izzydog wrote:
1404 - can you elaborate on that?

What happens to the seat in its upright position when using the bay hinge? Is there a gap to the kick panel underneath it?

thanks

Sorry I didn’t see your question.
There is no difference in seat height. No gap.
izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Leveling Bed after 1.8T Conversion Reply with quote

1404 - OK - so in its upright position, the seat does not have a gap and remains at the stock height. What about when the seat is opened flat? Is there a gap? Doesn't the edge of the seat have to rest on the seat kick panel top to support it?

Almo - great to hear from you, chap! Glad that SVX motor finally ended up in an actual vehicle, LOL. Applause

My 1.8T conversion uses Stephan's platform and riser - not just a riser - which means I have to either raise the rear seat or lower the rear most cushion.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: