Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mk 2 Jetta seatbeat question
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wolfsbane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject: Mk 2 Jetta seatbeat question Reply with quote

I had a 1989 2nd gen VW Jetta which only had front shoulder belts. No lap belt. It was attached to the door frame. Seemed really weird set up to me. Never got to test it in a head on collision, of which I'm profoundly grateful.

I've always wondered how they got away with doing that.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Mk 2 Jetta seatbeat question Reply with quote

Those cars had a knee bar that was supposed to substitute as the lap belt portion.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Mk 2 Jetta seatbeat question Reply with quote

At least my 81 Rabbit had a separate lap belt with the shoulder belt attached to the door.
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Mk 2 Jetta seatbeat question Reply with quote

My 76 Rabbit had a shoulder belt attached to the door.
Wolfsbane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Mk 2 Jetta seatbeat question Reply with quote

Okay. I remember that. They really thought a knee pad was sufficient to keep passengers fixed in a front end collision?

Sounds like someone in Wolfsburg was hitting their schnapps bottle a bit too hard.

TDCTDI wrote:
Those cars had a knee bar that was supposed to substitute as the lap belt portion.
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Mk 2 Jetta seatbeat question Reply with quote

My '89 Jetta had that system also.
These were the days right before Airbags took over.
The US government required passive restraints of some type for cars to be sold.
Most cars had those stupid belts on a track,
that if you got out of the car too quick before the belt moved to the open position,it ripped the hair out of your head!
The VW system with the knee bar was developed in the early 70's and introduced on VW Rabbits.
Nobody liked it, but it did work, but didn't sell.
My Mother's GM car had both the lap belt, and the shoulder belt mounted to the door, It was god awful abortion!
I had a friend with Ford with the track belt, and lap belt.
She rear ended another car at low speed, not wearing the lap belt.
The Ford was totaled, and she had some back pain, but was not injured.
I'm assuming the GM system was so bad, and on so many cars, that it basically forced the industry to Air Bags.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rallyedude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Mk 2 Jetta seatbeat question Reply with quote

In canada we had 3-point belts . I never got those 2point styles American market had . The worst ones were the motorized track belts they sold on some cars in USA . Id convert to 3 point personally. Although there is a legality issue . But I'd prefer my knees not to ram into the dash in an accident.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: