Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 4 engine forensics
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine forensics Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
This got all heavy in here. I don’t know f*€K all compared to Ray, Steve, or Clatter about engines. But I sure do like driving around in the bus, camping, meeting interesting people, dorking around The Samba, and learning to wrench.

Thanks Xevin. I still don't know how my original question about deck height ended up like this, but I sure enjoyed reading your reminder. I subscribe to all of the above Very Happy

In other news, and back on topic, I took the valves apart to inspect the heads' intake and exhaust ports for cracks. I'll post the pictures later on today.

Decode your M-Plate
curtp07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine forensics Reply with quote

This thread is sort of like Clash of the Titans!

All the Greek VW Engine Gods were dragged out of hiding for this one!

Furgo love your posts!

IMHO this did kind of morph to more of engine rebuilding performance..agree with Steve.

Thanks all! This kept me reading for a while.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine forensics Reply with quote

Furgo is a great guy and this is a great thread - just probably should have gone to the engine and performance section since it is about discovery and theory. I appreciate Furgo's curiosity.
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine forensics Reply with quote

I'm happy for the thread to be moved wherever it's most appropriate. I've double-checked and I can't do it myself, so perhaps one of the moderators can (TCash, Glenn?).

Should we ever meet, I'd be equally happy to buy a round for all the fine gentlemen in this thread. Very Happy

Decode your M-Plate
curtp07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine forensics Reply with quote

If I have a break while I'm in Hahn I'll take you up on that.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine forensics Reply with quote

furgo wrote:

Should we ever meet, I'd be equally happy to buy a round for all the fine gentlemen in this thread. Very Happy

That’s my kind of Busin’ Cool Prost!

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine forensics Reply with quote

Med cart comes by,
Nurse hangs a fresh colostomy bag,
Hugs all around..

What’s That Noise?!?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine forensics Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
Med cart comes by,
Hugs all around..

hope you didn't eat beans for lunch. Smile
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine forensics Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
Med cart comes by,
Hugs all around..

...performs leakdown test on colostomy bag, ports and polishes all tubing connections and secures with stainless steel hose clamps for full flow efficiency...
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine forensics Reply with quote

^^^^That’s some pretty funny shit right there Laughing

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
dawie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine forensics Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote...(On page 5):

"I have always thought it surprising that a factory new air cooled Vanagon could usually make it 100-150k miles, then even after a quality rebuild, would be having head problems within the next 40k miles."

Could it be that typically, at the time, heads got new guides and valves. Seats that seemed tight (when cold), only got cut. But in the meantime, unknown to the rebuider, severe thermal cycling has taken it's toll.
Doing the thermal test i found that seats which still seems tight even at 320F could be loose at max operating temp. Especially the intakes. (400F, using "circlip pliers meant for outer circlips", trying to turn seat in circular direction).

Maybe if seats were replaced each time as default, (to re-establish proper interference fit), things would have been different.

Severe thermal cycling over long time, especially while near upper limits of cht.
Heavy loaded bus doing mountain-driving, full throttle in third uphill, max cht, then steep downhill, foot off the throttle, engine braking in gear. Cooing fan blowing huge quantities of cold air over hot heads. Repeating at next hill.

A prominent rebuilder of type 4 heads once advised on a 914 forum: "Never let the engine idle between races. After each race, put in neutral and switch off immediately, coast to a stop."
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine forensics Reply with quote

dawie wrote:
Alan Brase wrote...(On page 5):

"I have always thought it surprising that a factory new air cooled Vanagon could usually make it 100-150k miles, then even after a quality rebuild, would be having head problems within the next 40k miles."

Could it be that typically, at the time, heads got new guides and valves. Seats that seemed tight (when cold), only got cut. But in the meantime, unknown to the rebuider, severe thermal cycling has taken it's toll.
Doing the thermal test i found that seats which still seems tight even at 320F could be loose at max operating temp. Especially the intakes. (400F, using "circlip pliers meant for outer circlips", trying to turn seat in circular direction).

Maybe if seats were replaced each time as default, (to re-establish proper interference fit), things would have been different.

Severe thermal cycling over long time, especially while near upper limits of cht.
Heavy loaded bus doing mountain-driving, full throttle in third uphill, max cht, then steep downhill, foot off the throttle, engine braking in gear. Cooing fan blowing huge quantities of cold air over hot heads. Repeating at next hill.

A prominent rebuilder of type 4 heads once advised on a 914 forum: "Never let the engine idle between races. After each race, put in neutral and switch off immediately, coast to a stop."

I would say that this was a pretty standard problem with air cooled VW's. During the heyday of VW, it was hard to find a single VW with moderate miles that didn't have a compromised engine surround gasket and likely compromised tin. The chance of finding one that was properly tuned up was also very slim. Heck when my wife and I were first looking at a watercooled Vanagon we must have test drove 10 without finding a single one that could hold even with my 1800 powered bay.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine forensics Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
This got all heavy in here. I don’t know f*€K all compared to Ray, Steve, or Clatter about engines. But I sure do like driving around in the bus, camping, meeting interesting people, dorking around The Samba, and learning to wrench. I also enjoy golfing even though I suck. All my buddies that are excellent golfers seem to hate it. Yet they can’t get enough of it. It’s as if they forgot why it was so fun Think I’m going with Thomas Gray’s ode when it comes to fun hobbies. (Abscate got the reference Wink Laughing) I suppose we all have our own definition of fun. Carry on Very Happy

Does this mean the coffee is hot and you cut your toenails?k
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine forensics Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Xevin wrote:
This got all heavy in here. I don’t know f*€K all compared to Ray, Steve, or Clatter about engines. But I sure do like driving around in the bus, camping, meeting interesting people, dorking around The Samba, and learning to wrench. I also enjoy golfing even though I suck. All my buddies that are excellent golfers seem to hate it. Yet they can’t get enough of it. It’s as if they forgot why it was so fun Think I’m going with Thomas Gray’s ode when it comes to fun hobbies. (Abscate got the reference Wink Laughing) I suppose we all have our own definition of fun. Carry on Very Happy

Does this mean the coffee is hot and you cut your toenails?k

Only for my friends Wink and “Ignorance is bliss” Laughing Me thinks you got it.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine forensics Reply with quote

I'm still waiting for one of those hot 50-something women to come by and woo my tardy spring....
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine forensics Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
I'm still waiting for one of those hot 50-something women to come by and woo my tardy spring....

This thread is definitely taking an unexpected turn of events.

In any case... Smile I removed the cylinder head valves of one of the heads:

• They look ok, but if these heads could be put back into service, I would replace them
• Once the spring retainers were out, the exhaust valves came out easily. The intake valves seemed to stick a bit once their ends reached the valve guides. It felt as if the ends were thicker than the guides' diameter. Some oil and care helped getting them out.
• Neither of the valve seats were loose or sunken. I've not done the oven test yet, though Smile
• The valve guides were all in one piece and and not loose either.

I didn't have time to take pictures of all these, but they will follow. I concentrated on looking for cracks instead.

On each intake port there are two 180° apart (seemingly) crack lines that run from end to end. At first sight, they look like massive cracks.

However, upon a closer look, there are a few things that make me think that they are casting marks (parting lines) instead:

• They do not run deep at all.
• They are not clean, splitting, lines, there is material within
• The fact that there are two on each port, separated 180°, with the same orientation and following the axis of the port bores seems a bit of a coincidence.
• I saw such lines when I replaced intake runner boots and phenolic spacers on the heads that are on my bus a while ago.

Here are some pictures:

Notice the line is neither deep nor a clean cut here and on the zoomed section:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Notice the "V" notch at the edge of the port. This does not run deep. It's not either a sharp and steep cut I'd expect from a crack:

On this one some of the inside of the port was shaved off, after the lines appeared.

Thoughts? Has someone observed these before?

@curtp, definitely! Hahn is a bit far away from where I am right now, but do get in touch once you're in Germany.

Decode your M-Plate
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine forensics Reply with quote

Hot 50-somethings?
That's an oxymoron! Laughing

Parting lines made during the casting process;
Pay no mind.

What’s That Noise?!?
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine forensics Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:

Parting lines made during the casting process;
Pay no mind.

Thought so. I've learnt that in this aircooled world nothing is as easy as it seems at first glance, so I thought I'd ask just in case. Thanks for confirming.

Decode your M-Plate
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine forensics Reply with quote

Yes.....the lines you are seeing are mold parting lines. In some places in some castings it is good to smooth these lines as they can help propagate cracks with age. I have never seen that the lines you are mentioning cause a problem.

Yes.....the tips of the valves "mushroom" from wear a very small amount so they catch or get tight when pulled through the guides. The harder the tips the less of this you get....but even stellite tips and/or hardened welded insert tips (most factory valves were this way) eventually get a small amount of expansion at the tip.

Using Porsche swivel feet virtually eliminates this expansion. Typically if valves are being reused a quick facing grind to the tip taking off just a few thousandths will remove this swelled part.

As to the longevity of the heads being less after rebuilds.....as Wildthings and Al Brase were pointing out....it is due to heat cycling. Any casting only has so much lifespan. Just rebuilding the parts attached to it only refurbishes the machined surfaces.

This is some of the same issues with reusing pistons with high miles even though they measure perfect at skirts and ring lands. They will be fine for now.....but realize that in heat cycles....they may be halfway or more to "skirt collapse"...so do not expect as-new mileage.

You CAN totally reset the heat cycling of an aluminum head to like-new condition.....but the process is not as common to find as it once was.....and is likely expensive enough that it would be cheaper to just get new castings.

It is still a common process in high end racing machine shops where a pair of specialty raw aluminum castings for a V-8 can run several thousand of dollars each and then had massive amounts of labor invested for porting work.

This process is also used when aluminum heads are heavily reworked with welding. Those heads have to be re-annealed.
They are placed in an oven ....after all ferrous metal has been removed....and brought up to temperature. Aluminum can be cooled down quickly but it can change surface planarity on machined surfaces......so the head seating area and sometimes the intake and exhaust manifold mating areas needs to be re-machined.

When they are worried about this for aluminum heads....and for all cast iron heads.....after the oven heating process.....the heads are submerged in a box of vermiculite (not used as much now because its carcenogenic)....or mica.....and allowed to cool slowly over 24 hours

I got to see this process on a pair of Brodix heads over Christmas. Very cool.

The only way this would be affordable....or practical.... to do on a VW head is if you say....needed to have an actual 2.0L 914 head for a concors restoration. If you have the budget.....after you weld up the cracks that these heads have and them remove all studs and seats......its the only way to make the head perform "as new".

The oven heating cycle is not the expense. They cook at 750°-780°F for 3 hours, then cool down at 50° per hour until they hit 500°F....then just let them air cool. Its not like they take any labor to do this. Just set the oven and the timer.

It's the much added cost of installing all new studs and seats and machining the head sealing surface.
If you have a special head you want to save and make like new.....and you strip it snd pull seats and studs yourself.....and take it to a racing machine shop that has the tools.....you can probably get the annealing done for about $200 or less. Then take it to your regular VW shop and have a normal valve job with new seats installed.
Then do all of the studs yourself.

In that case....you may get away with only a couple hundred more than a full valve job. As usual it depends on how much you can do yourself. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine forensics Reply with quote

you spin the valve with your fingers while you hold a mill file against it. That will remove any burrs formed on it from the rocker screws or keepers. Failure to do that and forcing the valves thru the guides will damage the guides. You hold a valve open about 3/8" to 1/2", if you feel any wiggle then the guides need replacement. Because each guide is slightly different the valve seats must be reground if the guides are replaced.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: