Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Barn Find Beetle-Need Help to Get it Running
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrbuzz8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn Find Beetle-Need Help to Get it Running Reply with quote

Alright, replacing the ignition switch is confusing and my Chilton’s manual is absolutely no help. This is where I’m at with it after trying to follow the book’s instructions. I cannot get the cylinder out, nor can I get the switch out.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn Find Beetle-Need Help to Get it Running Reply with quote

jrbuzz8 wrote:
Alright it’s really close now! IT STARTED! Now it just needs continuous fuel coming from the carb, as I don’t think the bowl is filled, or anywhere near filled, yet. Some gas is being sprayed through the main jet into the intake, but not a continuous stream yet. So, I think I’ve got that figured out. The ignition switch isn’t working, though. Through this whole thing, I’ve had to toggle the wires into a “perfect” position while holding the key in the “start” position to get the starter going. So, I’m replacing the ignition switch, but I’m not sure what size socket I need to get the steering wheel off. Is it a 24mm or 27mm? Thanks for all the help so far, you guys have been great!

I think what you are seeing is the accelerator pump jet. Does it squirt as you open the throttle and quit when you stop? If so that's not the main jet but the acc. pump jet working as it should.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn Find Beetle-Need Help to Get it Running Reply with quote

jrbuzz8 wrote:
Alright, replacing the ignition switch is confusing and my Chilton’s manual is absolutely no help. This is where I’m at with it after trying to follow the book’s instructions. I cannot get the cylinder out, nor can I get the switch out.

Buy the BENTLY manual it tells all. Amazon or maybe used on here.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn Find Beetle-Need Help to Get it Running Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
Buy the BENTLY manual it tells all. Amazon or maybe used on here.

Ditto!

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=book3

Use the Chilton's for a coloring book later....
jrbuzz8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn Find Beetle-Need Help to Get it Running Reply with quote

It was all one piece, unlike others I’ve seen. I got it off and replaced the switch, which now works well when the key is turned. I still have to figure out how to get the car running. I know for a fact that the carburetor is way out of adjustment so can I do anything about that that’ll help to get it running for more than four seconds? And yes, that is the accelerator pump jet that I see working great now.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn Find Beetle-Need Help to Get it Running Reply with quote

jrbuzz8 wrote:
It was all one piece, unlike others I’ve seen. I got it off and replaced the switch, which now works well when the key is turned. I still have to figure out how to get the car running. I know for a fact that the carburetor is way out of adjustment so can I do anything about that that’ll help to get it running for more than four seconds? And yes, that is the accelerator pump jet that I see working great now.

Does your carb have a solonoid on the side? If so it needs to "click" when the key is turned on or it wont idle. The Bentley covers everything step by step for just about the whole car.
jrbuzz8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Barn Find Beetle-Need Help to Get it Running Reply with quote

Yep there’s a solenoid and it audibly “clicks” when the key is turned. I still can’t quite get it to stay running for more than a few seconds, though.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn Find Beetle-Need Help to Get it Running Reply with quote

Might try draining the carb by removing the drain plug on the left side. Could be water has gotten into it.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn Find Beetle-Need Help to Get it Running Reply with quote

Get a container and disconnect the fuel line from the carb and have someone crank the motor and see if the pump is suppling continuous squirts of gas. Have a fire ext. handy and keep container away from any sparks. If the gas is only a dribble look for a fuel filter and replace it, if no filter remove hose from other side of fuel pump and blow into it and have someone remove gas cap and listen for bubbles as the tank might have hardened sediment clogging the fuel outlet to the motor.
jrbuzz8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn Find Beetle-Need Help to Get it Running Reply with quote

Alright, so the fuel pump is not pumping anything. I took a look at the fuel line that goes directly into the pump and it was basically dry. So, I’m going to search out the filter under the car, because I’ll bet that’s clogged and causing the issue. Can I run a can of Sea Foam gas treatment in here to help loosen anything else in the lines and go through a few filters?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn Find Beetle-Need Help to Get it Running Reply with quote

jrbuzz8 wrote:
Alright, so the fuel pump is not pumping anything. I took a look at the fuel line that goes directly into the pump and it was basically dry. So, I’m going to search out the filter under the car, because I’ll bet that’s clogged and causing the issue. Can I run a can of Sea Foam gas treatment in here to help loosen anything else in the lines and go through a few filters?

I wouldn't - I'd look for a physical clog.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Barn Find Beetle-Need Help to Get it Running Reply with quote

You can pull the sending unit out of the tank and look at the bottom of the tank with a flashlight. Some compressed air from the pump line could clear the line plus now is a good time to replace the rubber gas hoses as yours are probably hard as a rock.
jrbuzz8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn Find Beetle-Need Help to Get it Running Reply with quote

Alright, there are no clogs in the system. One area of one line had a hole in it, so I replaced the line. All of the fuel lines in the back half of the car are new. There is fuel going into the fuel pump, but it still doesn’t make it to the carburetor. I’ve even tried putting fuel directly into the fuel line that runs from the fuel pump to the carburetor, putting the line back on the carburetor where the float needle is, and trying to start it. It’s doesnt start and when I pull the line off again, it’s empty. What is going on? The fuel pump is new and it works fine.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn Find Beetle-Need Help to Get it Running Reply with quote

jrbuzz8 wrote:
The fuel pump is new and it works fine.

Did you make sure the pump and its push rod are matched??
jrbuzz8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Barn Find Beetle-Need Help to Get it Running Reply with quote

Yep, the pump is an exact match to the old one that was on there. It does pump fuel through the line. The needle in the carburetor is also fine, as I keep checking that. Am I just supposed to keep cranking it until fuel starts flowing into the carburetor? If I can get it running on starter fluid/carb cleaner will fuel begin to flow into the carburetor and fill the bowl?

Last edited by jrbuzz8 on Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Barn Find Beetle-Need Help to Get it Running Reply with quote

jrbuzz8 wrote:
Yep, the pump is an exact match to the old one that was on there. It does pump fuel through the line. The needle in the carburetor is also fine, as I keep checking that. Am I just supposed to keep cranking it until fuel starts flowing into the carburetor? If I can get it running on carburetor cleaner will fuel begin to flow into the carburetor and fill the bowl?

Fill the float chamber with fuel. That should allow the engine to run for a minute or two and get the fuel moving.

Other thing that might be going one is that some have reported finding a small chunk of rubber fuel line that was broken off when installing it, and that blocked off the flow thru the needle valve. So it would not be a bad thing to pull that valve and insure the passage is clean of any debris.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Barn Find Beetle-Need Help to Get it Running Reply with quote

I think the float is stuck in the up position. Remove the fuel line from the pump to the carb and connect a clean piece of hose to the carb and blow in it, if you can't the float is adjusted wrong or stuck, time to pop the top off the carb. You can buy an ear wax suction bulb from Walmart or any drug store and put a piece on fuel line on it and squeeze some gas into the carb so it will start when you fix the needle or float adj..
jrbuzz8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn Find Beetle-Need Help to Get it Running Reply with quote

I’ve tried removing the top of the carb, filling the float bowl and starting it. It will run until it runs out of fuel in the bowl and then it’ll quit. Fuel is going through the line to the carburetor, I can see it and the line is wet with gas when I take it off the carb. I’ve also blown air in through the needle valve and it’s very much clear and in the right position. The float is constantly down because there’s no fuel in it, yet it won’t draw fuel into the bowl or fill the bowl at all. The fuel lines are all clear for sure, the fuel pump is putting fuel through the lines, and the car will run if fuel is being put into the intake, but it will cut out as soon as no more fuel is present.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn Find Beetle-Need Help to Get it Running Reply with quote

jrbuzz8 wrote:
I’ve tried removing the top of the carb, filling the float bowl and starting it. It will run until it runs out of fuel in the bowl and then it’ll quit. Fuel is going through the line to the carburetor, I can see it and the line is wet with gas when I take it off the carb. I’ve also blown air in through the needle valve and it’s very much clear and in the right position. The float is constantly down because there’s no fuel in it, yet it won’t draw fuel into the bowl or fill the bowl at all. The fuel lines are all clear for sure, the fuel pump is putting fuel through the lines, and the car will run if fuel is being put into the intake, but it will cut out as soon as no more fuel is present.

Have you removed the valve yet and cleaned out that passage?
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn Find Beetle-Need Help to Get it Running Reply with quote

Carefully take the fuel line off the carburetor that comes from the fuel pump. Have someone turn the engine over while you watch fuel coming out of the fuel line into a gas can. Have a fire extinguisher handy. If you have fuel going into the gas can, hook a fuel pressure gauge up and see what pressure you have.

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: