Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

GoWesty Manual-to-Power Window Conversion Kit
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bajaleo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: GoWesty Manual-to-Power Window Conversion Kit Reply with quote

Looking for input on this conversion kit from anyone who has installed one in their van.

Sure would be nice having power windows.

http://www.gowesty.com/product/bundles-and-kits/24539/manual-to-power-window-conversion-kit?v=

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
B-bear604
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty Manual-to-Power Window Conversion Kit Reply with quote

I used the a1 kit mentioned in this thread in my last van and was very happy with it.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=507241

It was a super easy install, and worked great.
2005 Jetta Wagon TDI
1985 Mercedes 380sl
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty Manual-to-Power Window Conversion Kit Reply with quote

I'm looking at the kit as well but noticed that the window seal kit is out of stock.
I'm going to wait till the seal kit is in stock before I tackle this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty Manual-to-Power Window Conversion Kit Reply with quote

http://www.gowesty.com/tech-article-details.php?id=129

I'm halfway through the window switch relocation project. The OEM switches and connectors are much too bulky for the space behind the panel and the bezel always came loose because the plastic snaps that hold it in the panel always break. GW even says the switches "...are a complete joke...", yet they continue to sell them in the kit to unsuspecting customers. I'm surprised GW hasn't incorporated the switch relocation kit into the manual-to-power kit, but then again, I'm not.

Last edited by Syncronoid on Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:49 am; edited 1 time in total
DenverB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty Manual-to-Power Window Conversion Kit Reply with quote

interesting, but I would probably opt to not put those 'factory' window buttons in the door. i've seen other people do power windows and put a small, unobtrusive switch on the front of the face of the automatic shifter... pretty slick.
'84 Vanagon Westfalia (Pink Flamingo - Pastel White/Pink)
'88 Vanagon GL Westfalia (Frankie Says - Wolfram Gray)
'02 Eurovan Weekender (Green Apple)
'95-'03 Eurovan full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'84 -'91 Vanagon full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'72 Porsche 914 (Greta - RIP)

www.RockyMountainCampervans.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Altoona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty Manual-to-Power Window Conversion Kit Reply with quote

Syncronoid wrote:

I'm halfway through the window switch relocation project. The OEM switches and connectors are much too bulky for the space behind the panel and the bezel always came loose because the plastic snaps that hold it in the panel always break. GW even says the switches "...are a complete joke...", yet they continue to sell them in the kit to unsuspecting customers. I'm surprised GW hasn't incorporated the switch relocation kit into the manual-to-power kit, but then again, I'm not.

The switches in the kit are not the stock switches, they are just the generic ones that come with the kit. Probably to keep the overall cost of the kit down. Adding the relocation kit would be a good call if you can afford it.
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty Manual-to-Power Window Conversion Kit Reply with quote

It appears these switches can be located inside an included box which would make their bulkiness not as intrusive - much less expensive as well.
https://www.amazon.com/Absolute-HW600-Power-Window-Conversion/dp/B004IX6798
EDIT _ I shold mention that the Amazon reviews of this product are not spectacular. Still, putting the switches in a separate box seems like a good move - mounted perpendicular to the door panel.

Last edited by Gizmoman on Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty Manual-to-Power Window Conversion Kit Reply with quote

Syncronoid wrote:

Understand what your saying about the plastic snaps breaking off. This happened to my install-the long ones on the bottom of the bezel.
I took a short piece of aluminum angle and glued it to the bottom of the bezel so that it would slip in like the original plastic ones and let the top ones work as they were supposed to holding it in place.
Works like a charm.

Zip-tyed the wire harnss to the door to keep it out of the window glass and so far so good.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty Manual-to-Power Window Conversion Kit Reply with quote

Looks like a $50 eBay universal power window kit with a couple of special brackets...
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty Manual-to-Power Window Conversion Kit Reply with quote

That's an apt description for most of GW's offerings...

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty Manual-to-Power Window Conversion Kit Reply with quote

Problem solved.....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty Manual-to-Power Window Conversion Kit Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
That's an apt description for most of GW's offerings...

There are products that they put out that may cause some to roll their eyes, but were godsends to me in my early days of Westy rehabing. Not only did they provide detailed instructions, there were also really well produced videos to help me get a job done. If a company wants to mark up a common product because they have given me tools to use said product, I am happy to thank and support them. They also do things that are not at all common, like making a CA compliant EFI system and doing whackadoodle shit like making a VW 2.1 into a 2.7. Not my bag, but an impressive accomplishment- and hardly a marked up Ebay special...
Some people call him Maurice...
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty Manual-to-Power Window Conversion Kit Reply with quote

Yeah. I spent nineteen dollars American with them last week on a couple of stupid little things I could've found elsewhere for vastly cheaper, but I'm lazy AF. I have one other nice thing to say about GW, but I'm not feeling it right now. Maybe later.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
jocoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty Manual-to-Power Window Conversion Kit Reply with quote

Hmmmm. I can make brackets.
Which kit would be better. this one
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Universal-2-Door-Electric-...mp;vxp=mtr

or this one?
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/2-Door-Car-Pickup-Universa...mp;vxp=mtr

Looks like a fun project for that cost!
B-bear604
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty Manual-to-Power Window Conversion Kit Reply with quote

jocoman wrote:
Hmmmm. I can make brackets.
Which kit would be better. this one
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Universal-2-Door-Electric-...mp;vxp=mtr

or this one?
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/2-Door-Car-Pickup-Universa...mp;vxp=mtr

Looks like a fun project for that cost!

The second one has brackets...so you wouldn't need to make your own. Looks similar to the A1 I installed in my Yogi.
2005 Jetta Wagon TDI
1985 Mercedes 380sl
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty Manual-to-Power Window Conversion Kit Reply with quote

The Go Westy kit is a SPAL deluxe kit. I would only use a SPAL kit. Their motors are bomb proof and you can buy replacement parts easily.
The difference between a Deluxe and Non Deluxe is that you can have a manual over ride and the a more powereful motor.
Before I was able to easily find OE parts I installed a Non Deluxe set in my Doka. I ended up spacing the winder part back into the door and had the adapter and all behind the skin which was nice as I was able to just have a flat plug on the old window crank hole.
I had switches on the dash and did not like them there. I think VW did a great job of putting them in the best position. The wiring is tough but with a little patience it all just fits.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RicoS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty Manual-to-Power Window Conversion Kit Reply with quote

bajaleo wrote:
Sure would be nice having power windows.

Be careful what you wish for. I've had Vanagoons with manual windows, I've had them with power windows.

I've wasted hours troubleshooting (the tedious part) and repairing hinky Vanagoon power windows - I've never spent a minute fixing a manual window in one.

The last time I had a power window come up lame in a van, I mentioned to my son that if I still had the door cards for manual windows, swapping out the power window operators for manual ones would save me hours. He said why let plugging a couple abandoned holes in the door trim stop me. He was right.

It's not like you have to crawl to the back of a stretched limo in order to operate the only other window in a van, just reach across the cockpit and roll it down. The stretching will keep you limber and you can spend the hours you would have wasted installing and maintaining power windows on something with some payback.

Richie (near The Burgh)
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty Manual-to-Power Window Conversion Kit Reply with quote

I use a cane, as I broke my hip in my 20's and it was not a perfect repair. The cane is easy to make the Pass window go up or down, at least a little...

If I were to get "interested" I'd make a grabber to use on the passenger manual window handle. It'd be all too easy..
RicoS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty Manual-to-Power Window Conversion Kit Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
. . . I broke my hip in my 20's and it was not a perfect repair. . . .

I know exactly what you are talking about.

Once, while looking at post-op x-rays, an orthopedic surgeon said to me, "Well, nothing's perfect." I felt like back-handing the SOB into another dimension.

The solution to the healthcare dilemma - avoid it.

Richie (near The Burgh)
Ride-Fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty Manual-to-Power Window Conversion Kit Reply with quote

I recently bought this kit and just opened it up today to install later this week. But after stumbling on this thread, makes me wonder if I should have returned it. Doh! Very Happy Oh well, I知 going for it! Maybe down the road, I値l add the switch relocation kit from GW, or try an aftermarket kit like an A1.

I also need to troubleshoot and fix the power mirrors, which have never worked since the day I致e owned my van.

I致e read through the a thread for power mirrors but I知 not able to picture how to check the motor behind the mirror, as they described. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=674812&highlight=power+mirror

I値l let ya値l know how both tasks go!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: