Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 1976 westfalia project
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calvin&Hobbes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject: My 1976 westfalia project Reply with quote

Hi all
I’m new here but I’ve been following the site and forum for quite a while now and since I just bought a 1976 westfalia which need to be put back on the road I decided to launch a new topic
Not sure I’ll be good at staying on top of it but I’ll definitely will have lots of question and it might be better to have my own topic for all of them rather than opening one new every other day
Anyway.... stop talking let’s put some photos
At loading point in Baltimore 2 weeks go
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It’s me on the right

Arrived in the new home in Canada (same picture today would be all white)

Calvin&Hobbes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: My 1976 westfalia project Reply with quote

First action will be to put the engine back together and get the 3 rusty point cut and welded
Engine compartment cleaned to host the engine back
Rest of the body work I’ll do my best but knowing that I’m moving back to France in June it might be unrealistic to have 100% done by then

I have a fully new Weber kit
Most of the tin are cleaned but I’ll have to finish that first then paint so that I can start reassemble
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: My 1976 westfalia project Reply with quote

Welcome to The Samba, C&H! Yes, please try to keep posting during the refresh of your new Westy.

It looks like it is Chrome Yellow under that primer? Very nice!

That is a very good long-term project you've taken on, but it sounds like you have experience and a good handle on what it's going to take to get it back on the road.

Congratulations! Your life will never be the same again... Laughing

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Calvin&Hobbes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: My 1976 westfalia project Reply with quote

Hi KentPS
Thank for the post
I have a little bit of experience since I rebuilt 100% a Citroen 2CV 8 years ago
So I know what to expect and the reward at the finish line
Calvin&Hobbes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1976 westfalia project Reply with quote

Hi there
Today was a nice day and I could get some work done
But it was also the opportunity to discover one of these bad news you weren’t expecting in the first place
No more talking .... let look

This is what I discovered when I removed the windshield.... I kind of expected it but not as much
I guess I’ll need the full section to weld ...... and someone to weld too Confused
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: My 1976 westfalia project Reply with quote

Welcome! There is a ton of free, useful information here and a lot of knowledgeable people... all of it unencumbered by crappy and annoying sidebar banner ads that I find on the Dodge and Jeep forums. Cool

Two observations: You seem to have selected the controversial Weber progressive DFEV carburetor for your engine which was originally outfitted with Bosch L-Jetronic fuel injection. You will have an interesting time getting that carburetor to operate correctly on that engine... your two biggest challenges will be to ensure it gets appropriate heat to operate efficiently and then to resolve the distributor vacuum signal mis-match. I have one of those on my 1973 Type 4 1700cc bus engine, and I got mine to work pretty good, but it's just waiting for me to reinstall the original Solex dual carb arrangement... and I live in a temperate climate with very few freezing days. The Weber progressive really has no business on a Type 4 bus engine, but you can likely get it to serve you well enough with effort and research.

Second, you have just discovered a very common problem with Baywindow bus windshield frames. All that rot will need to be cut away, and then you will likely find more rot down inside the front clip. Good news is that the replacement pieces are available.

Check under the driver's side floor mat... there is probably a fair amount of floor rust there because that's where the water collects as it weeps through the windshield frame rot and drips over the fuse box on its way to getting trapped under the rubber floor mat.

When you get your camper back on the road, you will likely find many years of great enjoyment and a lot of people giving you 'thumbs up' and happy commentary. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: My 1976 westfalia project Reply with quote

Very Happy Great choice for VW project. The grey whale had the progressive when I bought it and when I sold it, to Hasta Alaska - they wanted FI- so that was a long learning expirence (ask Kent- he did his with Asia3 as mentor) Must say- that is one great system after the bugs are worked out.- Getting 3 complete systems off the classified is the way to go. There is a reason people take them off- and it's not obvious- as each can have a hidden problem. Finding that problem can be challenging.

About that windshield-- Blue bus had the same (only more) problem and John (the fabricator) put the green metal replacement on that went to the belt line.- Fit was terrible. but he worked round it. If you have the talent- build your own- unless yours has bad wiper posts. [img]
[/img]

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1976 westfalia project Reply with quote

good luck with the project buddy.

There are some excellent threads running on here restoring Westfalia's, the detail in some of them is second to none!
- 180W Solar System

My blog: https://twolatebays.wordpress.com/
Ride_On
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1976 westfalia project Reply with quote

Yay for another Ontario Westy!
Look forward to following - good luck!
Marleybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1976 westfalia project Reply with quote

Good Luck. I have a 77 Chrome Yellow here in Central Ontario and a spare 2.0 motor with some parts including a full FI system. Hope to see you around.

1981 Vanagon Westfalia (Sold)
1969 VW Beetle Convertible (Wifes)
1977 VW Westy 2.0L FI Chrome Yellow
1978 VW Westy 2.0L FI (Under Restoration)
1973 VW Westy 1.7L Tourist Delivery Orange
Check out my thread!!http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=556709
Calvin&Hobbes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1976 westfalia project Reply with quote

Hi thanks for the reply
Surprisingly enough the floor are pretty good in fact
But I’ll double check anyway
Today not much done
Day was beautiful so we went skiing with the family..... if the days start to be nice I guess my projec.t won’t move as fast.... I need some rain and cold again
Shocked Confused Cool Laughing
Calvin&Hobbes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: My 1976 westfalia project Reply with quote

Hi all

following my windshield discovery I went on different site that propose the bay section to be replaced.
some come in 2 piece some are one piece
some goes 4/5 cm below the bay some are just 1/2 cm below

would you have one to recommend more that the other... any preferred brand?
let me know
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: My 1976 westfalia project Reply with quote

I have not used them yet, but everyone tells me that these guys make the best panels.

https://www.klassicfab.com/

I just did a quick search though, and there seems to be a LOT of vendors offering panels now.

Please let us know what you decide to purchase and how well it works. I need to order a couple parts too soon.

My 1968 Campmobile
Calvin&Hobbes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1976 westfalia project Reply with quote

thanks
I'm looking into option right now
not sure I need the full cover, maybe the minimal parts could be sufficient
I'll sand it this week end to see how far I need to cut
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1976 westfalia project Reply with quote

I used the patch panels for the windshield surround but mine wasn't as rusty. The Klassicfab panel is probably a better option for you. It is meant to be welded in along the bulged section and not below it. Going this route would also make it easier to repair the inner valence, get any rust out and treat it. I would also remove your dash top and check the condition of the entire nose panel. If there is a lot of other work, it might be easier to replace the entire nose panel.
Calvin&Hobbes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1976 westfalia project Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips
I sanded the rust this weekend and it truly isn’t that bad
The top is dead but right at the edge the metal is reasonably thick
My welding friend told me the smaller portion should make it
I will indeed take the opportunity to remove the dash top ( didn’t managed to do it by removing the 6 or so screw... is there something holding it from under the dash?)
Calvin&Hobbes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1976 westfalia project Reply with quote

Work of the day
Refreshing the firewall panel
Before

Note that I managed to make my son do some work ( lasted at least 5mn !!!!!)

Then 90% done

Last 10% took me more than an hour to be 100% clean of the rust But I didn’t make a picture

Finally primered

Calvin&Hobbes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1976 westfalia project Reply with quote

Sorry for the mess in the background Confused
Calvin&Hobbes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1976 westfalia project Reply with quote

One more question
I can’t remote the bottom part
I’m sorry I don’t know the name of neither of the parts that are here
But trying to remove it from the axle I could take the direction out’ the top « thing » but not the bottom one... is there a tool or a trick that I need to know to make that happen ( picture is not from my bus I found it here and use it)
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1976 westfalia project Reply with quote

Welcome aboard, the journey is only beginning!

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: