Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

36 hp with crankshaft seal leak
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1958-Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: 36 hp with crankshaft seal leak Reply with quote

I have a 36 hp that has a rear main leak. I have replaced 2 times fixing to be 3, i have had flywheel sleeve checked and buffed, and I am using a seal tool to install rear main so i know its even and should be in as far its suppose to be.I can replace and will last between 50-100 miles before its starts dripping. I am at a loss on what to try next? would appreciate any information.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: 36 hp with crankshaft seal leak Reply with quote

Are you installing the paper gasket also? How is the end play?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 36 hp with crankshaft seal leak Reply with quote

How much is it dripping? When you come back the next morning is it the puddle about size of a quarter, silver dollar, paper dollar, etc,?
1958-Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 36 hp with crankshaft seal leak Reply with quote

The spot is about size of a softball and starts dripping as soon as i turn off engine. this is a engine i paid to have rebuilt and has app 3000 miles on since i got back the first time and yes i am using a paper gasket under flywheel against crank.
1958-Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 36 hp with crankshaft seal leak Reply with quote

i have not checked end play simply because i dont have the tool and its such a recent rebuild but the amount of trouble im having it is looking like i need to possibly
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 36 hp with crankshaft seal leak Reply with quote

are you using any sealer on the paper gasket? I always use Permatex #2 on them. Are you sure it is the seal leaking and not the cam plug or something else behind the flywheel?

tasb wrote:

sb001 wrote:
1958-Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 36 hp with crankshaft seal leak Reply with quote

i am not using any permatex behind flywheel only paper gasket and where the case halves are put together look really good? I know there still could be a leak from there but when i pull apart inside of flywheel behind pressure plate is soaked with oil and clutch disk is soaked with oil?
1958-Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 36 hp with crankshaft seal leak Reply with quote

Also Cam Plug looks tight and again the plug and the halves appear to be sealed very well
bugheadred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 36 hp with crankshaft seal leak Reply with quote

are you sure its oil and not a bad out put seal for the tranny trans oil
1958-Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 36 hp with crankshaft seal leak Reply with quote

it is oil from engine and not gear oil
1958-Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 36 hp with crankshaft seal leak Reply with quote

could it be that i am not pushing my seal in deep enough? i use the seal tool and i push seal in until the tool bottoms out which leaves the seal sticking OUTSIDE the case maybe 1/16 ? i have read many opinions that say this is correct to those who say only flush to those that say recessed 1/16? I go over the seal with a dead blow hammer after tool is removed lightly and seal will not go in any deeper unless im being to gentle. What is yall's opinion or experience? this is stock 1958 36 hp Thanks
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 36 hp with crankshaft seal leak Reply with quote

1958-Beetle wrote:
The spot is about size of a softball and starts dripping as soon as i turn off engine. this is a engine i paid to have rebuilt and has app 3000 miles on since i got back the first time and yes i am using a paper gasket under flywheel against crank.

That is too much of an oil leak.

Might just be the drain hole in the case is partly or fully clogged up. Later Brazilian 1500/1600 engine cases have a drain hole at the bottom of the crankshaft bore, instead of up near the 8 O'clock position that is above the inner lip of the seal. Have added in a lower position drain hole in our 1641cc engine, with engine all together, but with the FW off. Just take a 1/8" (3mm) drill bit to make it. Would think same can be done to any 20/25/36 HP engine.

Yes, you need to check the end play. Right now the engine is wearing in, so possible the play could be too much at this point. Three to five thousands is exactly two thousands of an inch. 2/1000 of an inch is same as average thickness of a hair of your average European decedent. Half a hair thickness for someone with Asian genes.

Additionally it could be the sealing surface of the flywheel where the inner lip of the seal rides on is too worn down. There is a replacement surface bushing that the FW needs a little machining to fit onto it.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 36 hp with crankshaft seal leak Reply with quote

1958-Beetle wrote:
could it be that i am not pushing my seal in deep enough? i use the seal tool and i push seal in until the tool bottoms out which leaves the seal sticking OUTSIDE the case maybe 1/16 ? i have read many opinions that say this is correct to those who say only flush to those that say recessed 1/16? I go over the seal with a dead blow hammer after tool is removed lightly and seal will not go in any deeper unless im being to gentle. What is yall's opinion or experience? this is stock 1958 36 hp Thanks

Could be. Next time with the seal out measure the bore depth. Then measure the seal in the same dimension. You wan the seal to be down all the way in the bore.

Might also try lightly polishing the bore the seal fits into. Light corrosion of the case can cause sealing problem there.
1958-Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 36 hp with crankshaft seal leak Reply with quote

I will check end play, i will order the tool. I will also check the drain hole, i have noticed mine at 8:00 position to see if clogged. Thank you for your advice
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 36 hp with crankshaft seal leak Reply with quote

the seal will protrude a little on a 36 motor even when it is set in all the way. Where are you getting the seals? I have better luck using seals sourced for a 356.
https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperCat/5839/POR_5839_ENGMAN_pg1.htm#item2

tasb wrote:

sb001 wrote:
1958-Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 36 hp with crankshaft seal leak Reply with quote

i will measure the bore depth and make sure im driving in seal to the stop
1958-Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 36 hp with crankshaft seal leak Reply with quote

i have only used 36 hp vw seals some german some off brand. I have been told to try a 356 seal and actually tried one but ruined the seal on install (case is extremely tight) and used german. I was told the 356 seal hits the flywheel seal in a slightly different position?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 36 hp with crankshaft seal leak Reply with quote

I've always driven them in just below flush, so you may be onto something.

And do check the endplay as well, nobody's perfect and this could be a cause.

While you are in there, not related, but a good idea to check the gland nut needle bearing for lube.

How are you torquing the flywheel on?
1958-Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 36 hp with crankshaft seal leak Reply with quote

i am using a flywheel lock and torquing to 220-230 foot pounds with permatex red
1958-Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 36 hp with crankshaft seal leak Reply with quote

i am using a breaker bar to torque and then a torque wrench to finish..all by hand no air tools
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: