Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Crankshaft key way
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:15 am    Post subject: Crankshaft key way Reply with quote

I am assembling my crankshaft. I have installed the rods, timing gear, distributor drive gear, main bearings...

When I put on the oil slinger and the key way the pulley rides on I noticed the key way just slides in and has play from side to side...

Has anyone else ran into this issue, if so what is the fix?
Does anyone have dimensions for the key way?
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft key way Reply with quote

You could always use a new key. Or is it the crank that is loose?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft key way Reply with quote

anthracitedub wrote:
You could always use a new key. Or is it the crank that is loose?

That is what I am trying to determine
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft key way Reply with quote

Just measured a key and got .2335”. Measured a crank and got the same.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft key way Reply with quote

Order of which I would tackle the issue:

Try another key, preferably a new one.

Peen the crank on both sides of the keyway.

Try some .001 shim stock

Last but not least find another crank.
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft key way Reply with quote

busman78 wrote:
Order of which I would tackle the issue:

Try another key, preferably a new one.

Peen the crank on both sides of the keyway.

Try some .001 shim stock

Last but not least finds another crank.

I am hoping I do not have to do the last one since I have everything torqued and the crank built...I bought the re ground crank from a reputable and popular vw machine shop... surely they didn't sell me a bad crankshaft
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft key way Reply with quote

i_luv_my_bus76 wrote:
I am assembling my crankshaft. I have installed the rods, timing gear, distributor drive gear, main bearings...

When I put on the oil slinger and the key way the pulley rides on I noticed the key way just slides in and has play from side to side...

Is it a stock or aftermarket crankshaft? If it's aftermarket, it may very well be the keyway that's too wide. I've also found many aftermarket keys to be too wide (need filing to fit a stock crank). So, maybe that would be the start of your "fix".
SD
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft key way Reply with quote

I'll take a pic shortly
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft key way Reply with quote

Pickup a new key, maybe another good used one.
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft key way Reply with quote

esde wrote:
i_luv_my_bus76 wrote:

Is it a stock or aftermarket crankshaft? If it's aftermarket, it may very well be the keyway that's too wide. I've also found many aftermarket keys to be too wide (need filing to fit a stock crank). So, maybe that would be the start of your "fix".
SD

Stock re ground crankshaft
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft key way Reply with quote

busman78 wrote:
Pickup a new key, maybe another good used one.

That was gonna be my first try... I live over an hour from a parts store that carries vw parts... it will have to wait until next weekend unless someone on here in the high desert is willing to sell me one that might work 😁😁😁😁😁
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft key way Reply with quote

there are many widths of keys, and you can size one for your crank, but be sure to check the pully fit of the new key!!! you may need to size a step in it for the pully but probably not. I do not like the new keys sold these days, there powered metal...shit if you ask me. they crumble when trying to get them out of the crank making it a real bitch to get out. so ive tried to stock up on oe keys. the key should be snug to tight, not beat the shit out of it tight but enough so it dosent move when installing the pulley.Ive seen loose keys ride up in the groove and eff up the pully and grab the case...not good. I don't like the idea of peening the crank.although you can add a few diviots to the key to tighten it, but it's better to get a better fitting key. locktight is another option, but...still better to get a gooder fitten key. personaly I would of put a good crank in it....the reason I will not use a oe vw crank is they are so soft.
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft key way Reply with quote

Plenty for sale:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: