Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 36, 37, 38  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

RalphWiggam wrote:
SGKent wrote:
measure the land to ring clearances too. I use my hands. RIngs are cast and they snap like a piece of glass being bent. Don't expand them more than is needed to just fit over the piston. Pay attention to markings - dots, triangles, color, bevels etc

No markings on these but the Deves middle ring does have a "tooth" that must face down.

the instructions that came with the rings will specify how they go. Usually the top two rings are specific how they go on. The ring to land side clearances are in Bentley. 3-piece oil control rings normally the spreader has to butt and not overlap. usually one red and one green paint dot etc to make it easy to verify they are butting and not overlapping.
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
RalphWiggam wrote:
SGKent wrote:
measure the land to ring clearances too. I use my hands. RIngs are cast and they snap like a piece of glass being bent. Don't expand them more than is needed to just fit over the piston. Pay attention to markings - dots, triangles, color, bevels etc

No markings on these but the Deves middle ring does have a "tooth" that must face down.

the instructions that came with the rings will specify how they go. Usually the top two rings are specific how they go on. The ring to land side clearances are in Bentley. 3-piece oil control rings normally the spreader has to butt and not overlap. usually one red and one green paint dot etc to make it easy to verify they are butting and not overlapping.

The Deves rings are actually a 4 piece oil control ring. There is an expander ring that goes behind the normal 3 piece set. My old set did not have this and I was wondering if I should use it or not.

See that octagonal ring on the left? That is the one in question...

https://vwparts.aircooled.net/v/vspfiles/photos/DEVES-77-2-2-4-2.jpg
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

A couple of items.....if you have not gotten too far....i will dig out my instruction sheets and get them posted.

Deves make excellent rings....but just like anything else...check each edge at the gap carefully for burrs.

Also....and I know you are already done with honing.....but for future reference from other comments.....do not have someone hold a cylinder when you hone it. It MUST be bolted down.
If its being held....you have movement from the in/out thrust and that changes the angle. Any hone expandable or otherwise needs to stay axially centered or it changes stone pressure.

Is it a big deal if you are just putting a new profile on it?.....yes and no. It can be or not. 50/50 chance. It depends on how much misaslignment there was during honing.

As for angle of cross hatch.....its interesting.....I just carefully looked at photographed four sets of cylinders. Two sets were brand new....a mid 90s Cofap 1.7 set, an early 90s CIMA 1.8L set and two sets of lightly used 1.7L KS cylinders.

The actual factory cross hatch angles varies.....somewhat widely....not just from set to set but within each set. They can range from 35°-ish to 45°-ish all the way up to close to 60°-ish.

Cross hatch angle is just not hugely important by itself. What is far more important is cross hatch peak, valley and width size....and consistency with a given cylinder.

In fact....more than one article from ring companies over the years has noted that they actually recommend a 55°-60° cross hatch for engines with horizontal cylinders. From the fact that several of these cylinders are close to 60° and ran fantastically.....its at minimum not a problem.
The difference that hatch angle can make along with peak to valley height of the scratch marks....is different levels of drag on each piston. Not a huge problem in the long run.... but it can make one cylinde break in much faster or slower than another. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

Hello Ralph,

Yes, I was running a single thrust bearing on my original Webcam install. Now that I think about it, that may be one of the reasons people miss the runout issue on the thrust flange. If the high spot happens to be positioned on the side with no thrust bearing, when you're checking axial play in the cam, you may never notice it.
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

Got my rings, pistons, cylinders, and heads installed. Setup my ring orientation per the Wilson book and the Deves instruction sheet. Used rtv red on the bottom of the cylinders and under the spacers. Used a straightedge to make sure the tops of the cylinders were dead flat and sanded the spacers a little to get everything perfect. I torqued the heads to snug / 10 / 15 / 20 / 23 in the correct patterns. I used curl t under the head washers and the nuts in the valve section. Let it sit for a few hours and then reconfirmed the 23 again.

Last night I got the t4s solid rocker spacers all adjusted for length and the t4s HD rocker studs installed. My rocker shafts are super tight on the new studs. Also polished all of the rocker shafts and stand faces with 2000. I tried to use an old pushrod to start doing geometry but it was too long. I need to buy an adjustable one to move forward. I'll see what else I can slap on the longblock while I'm waiting for the adjustable pushrod.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

RalphWiggam wrote:
Got my rings, pistons, cylinders, and heads installed. Setup my ring orientation per the Wilson book and the Deves instruction sheet. Used rtv red on the bottom of the cylinders and under the spacers. Used a straightedge to make sure the tops of the cylinders were dead flat and sanded the spacers a little to get everything perfect. I torqued the heads to snug / 10 / 15 / 20 / 23 in the correct patterns. I used curl t under the head washers and the nuts in the valve section. Let it sit for a few hours and then reconfirmed the 23 again.

Last night I got the t4s solid rocker spacers all adjusted for length and the t4s HD rocker studs installed. My rocker shafts are super tight on the new studs. Also polished all of the rocker shafts and stand faces with 2000. I tried to use an old pushrod to start doing geometry but it was too long. I need to buy an adjustable one to move forward. I'll see what else I can slap on the longblock while I'm waiting for the adjustable pushrod.

Good going! Oh......just a question....but the spacers you sanded....are between the cylinders and engine case right?.....no spacers or gaskets between heads and cylinders right?.....just checking. Do not use the head gaskets.
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

Wow 18 pages of you guys helping Ralph Shocked You guys are awesome Applause Applause

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
RalphWiggam wrote:

Good going! Oh......just a question....but the spacers you sanded....are between the cylinders and engine case right?.....no spacers or gaskets between heads and cylinders right?.....just checking. Do not use the head gaskets.
Ray

That is correct. Had to knock a few .001 off them to get the tops of the cylinders perfectly flat while not going under .038 for deck height.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

Time for a little painter's mask over all those ports and other inlets (I realize none of the valves are open YET). And spark plugs slightly screwed in until rocker geometry time. That beauty looks vulnerable at the moment.
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
Time for a little painter's mask over all those ports and other inlets (I realize none of the valves are open YET). And spark plugs slightly screwed in until rocker geometry time. That beauty looks vulnerable at the moment.

It's all buttoned up now. I had to go fishing this morning in the case because a rocker nut decided to go swimming. Scared the sh!t out of me but I remained calm and used a super strong tiny magnet on the end of a coathanger to fish it out. Thank god the hd rocker nuts from the t4s are magnetic or id still be fishing.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

blue tape is your friend. So is green, clear and duct. Sometimes people think we are anal because the first thing we do is tape up the block and ports etc but I promise you, more than one of us has done that accidentally.

Want to freak a friend out who just buttoned an engine up? About 6am when you are exhausted from working on it all night lay a spare part that goes inside the engine on the workbench when he isn't looking then five minutes late pick it up and ask what is this? Get ready to run if he has a wrench in his hand Smile
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
blue tape is your friend. So is green, clear and duct. Sometimes people think we are anal because the first thing we do is tape up the block and ports etc but I promise you, more than one of us has done that accidentally.

Want to freak a friend out who just buttoned an engine up? About 6am when you are exhausted from working on it all night lay a spare part that goes inside the engine on the workbench when he isn't looking then five minutes late pick it up and ask what is this? Get ready to run if he has a wrench in his hand Smile

Reminds me of a time when I lved in Atlanta.....a neighbor....a doctor buddy of mine....needed a new gasket on the intake of his 300zx. He wanted to do it himself and asked me to help. Beers were at hand. His wife....a lawyer..... thought that no one should be working on their own car.

She and friend went out for drinks. We wer just about finished when buddy drops a screw into the manifold. He went NUTS!.....mainly because his wife would never let him hear the end of it. We tried magnets....my 1 foot long forceps....everything!

We went in and grabbed the wifes vacuum cleaner and duct taped a piece of heater hose to the nozzle. Sucked it right out. Day was saved....and wife never heard about it. Laughing
Ray
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

I swear it was a crook who pranked me..

A tin screw somehow 'fell' down the breather chimney into a long block I built.
And I heard it chewing up the front of the case and the back of the oil pump and front of the cam gear.
it made a racket, and freaked me right out!

Started it back up,
It was quiet and normal.
Drove it for years.

Wish I woulda saved that screw I found in there later - something to see!
I still have the crank gear - I'll post a pic if I remember.

Tape up that breather chimney! Laughing

What’s That Noise?!?
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

A head hut on a type 1 will fit thru a push-rod tube.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

bsairhead wrote:
A head hut on a type 1 will fit thru a push-rod tube.

is that a been there done that moment? Smile If so sounds like it could be painful.
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

I got an adjustable pushrod today and started doing the valve geometry. I have a few questions:

1. The adjustable pushrod is really only for figuring out the length I need to cut my cromoly pushrods to, right? It doesn't really have anything to do with the geometry..?..

2. The geometry is set using rocker shims after making sure the adjustable pushrod is the correct length...?

3. I am using porsche swivel feet adjusters. When at TDC for a cylinder I should back the swivel foot adjuster a few turns off of bottoming out on the rocker and then take up any slack with the adjustable pushrod? This is my pushrod length?

4. After that, measure my full valve travel and half it. Go to that halfway point and see if the adjuster is in line with the valve stem. If not (it isnt), shim the rocker stand until it is. Right?

Is that it? Do I need to measure every valve for geometry or just 1 per cylinder? Do I need to measure pushrod length for every valve or just one per engine half?
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

I haven't yet set rocker geometry on a T4, but I'm installing swivels as well, and I'll just tell you something I heard: when I ordered my modified pushrods (for added clearance when using swivels) from FAT, Ron said I'd never achieve optimum geometry due to the lack of space under a T4 valve cover. So I'm not sure what to expect yet, but it will be interesting to hear some other responses from those using swivel feet.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

RalphWiggam wrote:
I got an adjustable pushrod today and started doing the valve geometry. I have a few questions:

1. The adjustable pushrod is really only for figuring out the length I need to cut my cromoly pushrods to, right? It doesn't really have anything to do with the geometry..?..

2. The geometry is set using rocker shims after making sure the adjustable pushrod is the correct length...?

3. I am using porsche swivel feet adjusters. When at TDC for a cylinder I should back the swivel foot adjuster a few turns off of bottoming out on the rocker and then take up any slack with the adjustable pushrod? This is my pushrod length?

4. After that, measure my full valve travel and half it. Go to that halfway point and see if the adjuster is in line with the valve stem. If not (it isnt), shim the rocker stand until it is. Right?

Is that it? Do I need to measure every valve for geometry or just 1 per cylinder? Do I need to measure pushrod length for every valve or just one per engine half?

No....not quite. You need to measure EVERY valve....FIRST. The swivel feet adjusters should not be used for any changes to geometry. Use an exact # of turns inward on each adjuster and check it by meaduring valve lash. You want the same amount of thread turns for future expansion. If the adjuster to valve lash is the same....but the gap or number of turns for each adjuster is not equal....about 2.5 turns per rocker....then grind some more until they are all equal. Them lock the nut and ro not touch them again until geometry is done.

Ideally...perfectly....you should need NO shims. Shims under the rocker stands are ONLY to be used when the ideal geometry cannot exactly be set using one universal pushord length for all 8 pushrods.

Start with a stock pushrod.....and use that pushrod on all 8 valves. Check geometry on all 8. Find the shortest and the longest ones....take notes. Meaning....some will measure that for best geometry they need a shorter PR and some longer.

There are several ways to go about this.... pick the shortest PR in the set and shim the rocker stands so it can take a alightly longer PR that matches closer to the other ones.....or give a little more inward adjustment on the others to be closer to the shortest PR. Never outward.

If everything was set up closely on the valve stem lengths.....and you did buy HAM heads so I am betting they are pretty close......you should be able to get a PR length in the middle and do fine adjustment.....but no.....most of the adjustment is done with the pushrod length. Shims are only for those that are too short.

Or...another method....you can shim all rockers outward a small amount to make them as uniform as possible....and have one in the middle PR length...or you can custom shim each valve pair....but they have to be the same for both valves on each cylinder....working toward a universal PR length......or there is the full custom approach.....which is to make a perfect custom length PR for each valve and rocker for the very best geometry on each valve.....but you must then scribe the rocker and PR "I" or "E" and the cylinder #.

All or these methods work well. Take your time and mock up and measure, measure and measure. Ray
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

My stock aluminum pushrods are too long.

So step one is to set all of the swivel feet 2.5 turns off of bottoming out? Is that a good number?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

RalphWiggam wrote:
My stock aluminum pushrods are too long.

So step one is to set all of the swivel feet 2.5 turns off of bottoming out? Is that a good number?

Yes.....but wait..... I was going off of memory here so lets check this.
Take a quick moment to set up a dial indicator on one of the screws that is backed all the way out to binding on the underside of the rocker arm.....and then move the screw inward by 2.5 turns and look at the total amount of adjustment it gives you. It should give you about .012" of outward adjustment. So that is about .0048" per complete turn.

This number of turns inward.... also needs to give you enough space.... IN ADDITION to the .006" you use for valve adjustment.....for about .002" for break in wear and valve stem stretch. There will be a couple of thousandths. So you need about 0.020"....to allow some adjusting over the miles ....and have free movement of swivel feet.

0.020"÷ .0048"= 4.1 turns.

So.....in thinking about this.....and yes....I had to dig into my black notebook..... Rolling Eyes.... Embarassed ....sorry.....you need a minimum of 3.5 turns and right at 4 turns will be spot on.

Sorry....I was out on the road and did not have my books in front or me.

Do 4 turns....at most....4.5.....and check your pushrods now. You can go to 5.0.....but do not get much more extended past 4.5.

From my note book the problem with getting too much inward thread extension is that can negatively affect valve geometry....if your valve stem heights are right at factory.....and cause you to need excessive rocker stand shimmimg.....and it side loads the adjusting screw.

My apologies for the memory fail. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 36, 37, 38  Next
Jump to:
Page 18 of 38

Jump to: