Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 36, 37, 38  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

Not much to update. Finally got my idiot light working. I think the bulb in the dash was bad. Found some new ones locally. Ordered a new single terminal oil pressure sender. Swapped it in place of the dual terminal warning/pressure sender that I found in my dad's stuff. Hopefully that will take care of my low readings when the oil is hot. Got a new voltage gauge installed in the dash as well.

Changed the oil at 100 miles. Poured a little bit out on a piece of glass so I could inspect it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Doesn't look too bad to me. Way cleaner than what came out at the first oil change. It's been raining a lot so I haven't been driving the bus. Hopefully this weekend I can get some more miles on it.
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

Alright folks, got some questions.

Took the bus out this morning for a spirited 25 mile drive. Did about 15 miles on the highway. With the new oil pressure sender I am still only getting about 25psi at 3500rpm when the oil is hot (220). When I pulled off the highway and was waiting to turn around the idiot light started flashing and came on. This is a new idiot sender and should come on around 3-4psi. Scared the crap out of me and I gave it a little gas to get the pressure up.

The whole drive oil temps never went above 225. CHT never went above 310. What the hell is going on with my oil pressure? Is this break in oil just not meant for regular use? Should I switch it out for some straight 40wt?

I really don't know what to do. Am I doing damage to the engine driving it like this?

Maybe it's the 18" sender extension I have running from the idiot light port throwing my readings off?
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

You cannot trust the idiot light. The oil pressure switches are known for being all over the place.
You need to qualify the switch by hooking up a mechanical oil pressure gauge.

Oil Pressure FAQ

Good luck
Tcash
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

break in oil is 30 weight. While it will show slightly lower pressure than a heavier oil, unless if is 80 to 100 F outside your low pressure is oil. You can swap in a 10-40 up to 100F and see what happens. Frankly it sounds like something else is going on. You do need to put a mechanical gauge on it because at this point both the idiot light and the gauge are agreeing that pressure is a little low. At 220F after a freeway drive my oil pressure is still about 15 PSI per 1000.

When you rebuilt the engine did you change the o-ring on the oil pickup tube? Did you replace the over pressure valve with the same style one that came out of it or reuse the old one? They come in slotted and non-slotted depending on the style case you have (single relief or double relief).
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
break in oil is 30 weight. While it will show slightly lower pressure than a heavier oil, unless if is 80 to 100 F outside your low pressure is oil. You can swap in a 10-40 up to 100F and see what happens. Frankly it sounds like something else is going on. You do need to put a mechanical gauge on it because at this point both the idiot light and the gauge are agreeing that pressure is a little low. At 220F after a freeway drive my oil pressure is still about 15 PSI per 1000.

When you rebuilt the engine did you change the o-ring on the oil pickup tube? Did you replace the over pressure valve with the same style one that came out of it or reuse the old one? They come in slotted and non-slotted depending on the style case you have (single relief or double relief).

All of this is spot on!

Break in oil IS NOT a problem for driving on. Its viscosity is its viscosity. Its a rated oil just like any 30 wt. Its only difference is anti-scuff additives...so the oil is not a problem.

As Steve noted...it may or may not be a little light...but should be adequate.

Also...are you using that damn VDO dual pole oil pressure sending unit?

I have been saying this for years.....those suck. They were initially developed for some of the early water cooled cars. They were not designed to be senders for the oil pressure gauge. They were for the idiot light and controlled the differential oil pressure warning system. Meaning....if the difference in oil pressure at the filter head was X psi higher than the pressure at the cylinder head cam follower galleys...meaning low oil pressure in the head....it set off a damn screeching alarm and trouble light on the dash.

They were HUGELY problematic in accuracy and reliability. Its not that they cant be used for a pressure gauge sender like they were later in some cars...its just that they were never that accurate....or linear.

And no...I don't have anything better to offer in its place. Just saying that they always sucked. And....they had two different part #'s that I know of. One was a lower pressure idle setting and the other was higher.

I would find as suggested....an accurate manual pressure gauge.

Also...by the way....if you are going to be using a standard pressure gauge to check oil pressure.....and its going to be hooked up close to the case where it will see oil temperature...and saturate to that temperature....and you want it to stay accurate to be used for years when you need it again.....invest in a high temperature gauge.

Basic water/air pressure gauges are rarely rated for temps over 150F. Over a pretty quick time period...expansion and contraction of the bourdon tube causes inaccuracy.
High temp gauges typically use a stainless bourdon tube instead of phosphor bronze and have an offset drive for the needle....meaning there is a slider arm inside that connects the needle to the bourdon tube instead of being directly attached. This acts as an expansion joint.

Something I have been looking at/for for a while....you can buy a steam gauge 0-100 psi...at McMaster Carr for about $25...good in 140* F ambient and up to 320F for what is being measured.

They are interesting...each gauge has two dials...one for temperature in Fahrenheit and celcius...and one for psi.

Accurracy is basic...2.5% full scale....non-graded gauges. The problem is that the pressure increments are poor. I am looking around to see if anyone has a similar gauge with better markings for affordable price.

For now....just use a connector/extension hose to keep the gauge temp down under 150 and you should be fine with a basic gauge. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

Quote:
I have been saying this for years.....those suck.

I have had excellent results from them up to about 80,000 - 100,000 miles or so before corrosion gets to them.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Quote:
I have been saying this for years.....those suck.

I have had excellent results from them up to about 80,000 - 100,000 miles or so before corrosion gets to them.

I have had both excellent...and poor results from them. Which in my book means they suck.

I cannot tell if its a design issue...or a material/construction issue.

I have taken new ones out of the box....on repeated occasions and had their pressure reading and bottom line idiot light control pressure be all over the planet..tried with multiple gauges.

And ...Yes...I have also taken them out of the box and had them work perfectly for many thousands of miles.

If I had to guess the ratio of good to bad....probably 75% good. Having 25% bad means its and unreliable part....for something so important. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

I had a dual pole sender in there and I swapped it out with a single pole sender thinking that may have been the problem. Readings are about the same on either one of them.

I did use a new o ring in the oil pump and lubed everything generously before installing. The gears looked very nice. The oil pump installed into the case pretty tightly. I used no gasket on the outside, just loctite 518 and it is not leaking. I also used a new o ring on the oil pickup tube and lubed that before installing.

I am going to hook in a mechanical oil pressure gauge and try and remove any air that might be in my extension line.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

I may have missed it earlier on within this thread, but I wonder if you know what this engine was producing before you rebuilt it, or if you only had the idiot light.

In the end, you may end up just having to live with it the way it is. Ideally you'd have 4 or 5 pounds min at idle...that's not highly uncommon...sure, I realize it doesn't conjure warm fuzzies, but flickering oil lights are fairly common in these old cars. I know people are gonna say I'm fulla shit and you gotta go to the ends of the Earth to get to the bottom of this, but I'm just sayin' you may not fully resolve it to your satisfaction or meet this 10/per spec bandied about.

Do some Internet searching, many people with various engines in various vehicles have survived with low idle pressure.
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

So I rigged in my dad's old mechanical oil pressure gauge...

I know I shouldn't leave it like this because it will break off. I figured a few runs would be fine. I took my daughter to pick up breakfast this morning and got the oil temp up to about 200f. We when got back I had my wife help me watch the mechanical gauge in back...

The mechanical gauge seemed to read about 8 psi higher than the electric one in the cab. Mechanical would read about 40psi at 4000rpm.

I went for a highway run later and think the mechanical gauge is destroyed. It spins in circles when I rev it. I guess I will leave it and order another mechanical gauge just to check it again and make sure. I don't know if I should trust it's earlier readings. Decent news though....
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

RalphWiggam wrote:
So I rigged in my dad's old mechanical oil pressure gauge...

I know I shouldn't leave it like this because it will break off. I figured a few runs would be fine. I took my daughter to pick up breakfast this morning and got the oil temp up to about 200f. We when got back I had my wife help me watch the mechanical gauge in back...

The mechanical gauge seemed to read about 8 psi higher than the electric one in the cab. Mechanical would read about 40psi at 4000rpm.

I went for a highway run later and think the mechanical gauge is destroyed. It spins in circles when I rev it. I guess I will leave it and order another mechanical gauge just to check it again and make sure. I don't know if I should trust it's earlier readings. Decent news though....

About 5-8 psi difference is about what I find with "accurate" mechanical gauges.

The vibration is likely what destroyed it. A lot of people have found that brake hose with a 10mm thread screwed in make a nice vibration damper/extension for the gauge.

I did mine years ago with a piece of high pressure fuel line and a 10mm nipple screwed in...a barb on the gauge and two hose clamps. Ray
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

be aware that mechanical gauges soray oil if the line fails. Those around the race track know this, some folks who've lost an expensive engine when a line cracked or chaffed thru won't use them again. Personally, I won't have anything to do with them. Oil pressure is not the kind of thig that requires perfection. You either have enough and are in the broad window or not. Besides, anyone who was chasing better regulation in oil pressure would be running a dry sump, and maybe a windage tray as well although the scavenge pump somewhat negates the need. This constant need to chase perfection in this thread is like trying to make a beauty queen from a bow legged buck toothed redhead with freckles. Run what you have with a slightly thicker oil and monitor it, or tear the engine apart. If you didn't replace the pressure valve(s) on the case with the correct kind, you should.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

Unless you pay beacoup bucks for a high end pressure gauge I bet you will find the error on this stuff is in the 5-8% full scale range.

We found this in testing this stuff for industrial customers.
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Unless you pay beacoup bucks for a high end pressure gauge I bet you will find the error on this stuff is in the 5-8% full scale range.

We found this in testing this stuff for industrial customers.
And you are being generous with those numbers.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
be aware that mechanical gauges soray oil if the line fails. Those around the race track know this, some folks who've lost an expensive engine when a line cracked or chaffed thru won't use them again. Personally, I won't have anything to do with them. Oil pressure is not the kind of thig that requires perfection. You either have enough and are in the broad window or not. Besides, anyone who was chasing better regulation in oil pressure would be running a dry sump, and maybe a windage tray as well although the scavenge pump somewhat negates the need. This constant need to chase perfection in this thread is like trying to make a beauty queen from a bow legged buck toothed redhead with freckles. Run what you have with a slightly thicker oil and monitor it, or tear the engine apart. If you didn't replace the pressure valve(s) on the case with the correct kind, you should.

The pressure valve that came out of the case near the oil filter went right back in the same place it came out. I never touched the one under the #1 cylinder. I didn't even know it was a pressure valve because I didn't have the bit to open it. How does the one under the #1 cylinder work?

I thought both of them only functioned at startup when oil pressure is really high? Would either of these affect my fully up to temperature oil pressure?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

Personally those numbers don't really get me all that worried, play with viscosity and find the happy spot and then put some tape over all the gauges so they won't distract you as you drive. It's making oil pressure, isn't getting crazy hot and hasn't siezed up solid, clueless surfer hippies cross continents with fewer checks in the win column than you have going on. Wink

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

I can't answer that. On my 1971 dual port type 1 case, the slotted screw style plug was what was used for both plugs. On my 1977 there is one plug only - slotted.

When rebuilding the plugs should come out, be cleaned, inspected, and the spring rate tested. You can test the spring rate with a bathroom scale. If those valves are worn on top they leak and you'll never have the correct oil pressure.
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Personally those numbers don't really get me all that worried, play with viscosity and find the happy spot and then put some tape over all the gauges so they won't distract you as you drive. It's making oil pressure, isn't getting crazy hot and hasn't siezed up solid, clueless surfer hippies cross continents with fewer checks in the win column than you have going on. Wink
As well as clueless goat-hauling farmers.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

As SGkent noted.....oil hoses are dangerous. Actually the hose is not the worry. Its the connectors.

I am not suggesting to EVER run gauges as a permanent fixure in the engine compartment....neither fuel or oil.

As for big bucks for gauges that are accurate?.....not really.

You can get a huge range of class A pressure gauges....accurate to 1 psi full scale.....for under $50.

For short term use under the hood for diagnostics....without worrying about vibration (use a hose) or about having a high temp gauge ...again use a hose as an insulator.......you wont need anything else gauge wise.

Now.....if you had some crazy idea to keep a gauge attached to the engine.....then yes....you would be looking for a class A minimum gauge....liquid filled....high temperature.....and THAT gets into big bucks.

As for.....not worrying about this variation.....the "run what you got"......just toss in some thicker/thinner oil and tune with it???????????? Really?

Sorry.....not trying to piss anyone off.....but some you guys just appear to be lazy sometimes. Wink Laughing

Sure thats all fine....+/- 5-8 psi "seems" like no big deal.....the saying that many, many engines idle when hot at 10 psi so thats no big deal....yeah thats all fine......unless you got 10 psi at idle and your gauge is off by -8 psi......in that case you are really running 2 psi.....and the receipt for the $6000-ish you just spent on the engine will make a nice post card 10-20k miles from now when you are tearing it down again.

I do not believe in the "just get it ok and drive it and not worry about".....mindset.....on a new build....an expensive build.....at the 100+ mile mark......when the REAL question at hand.....at the moment.....is.....is the gauge you are checking oil pressure with accurate?

This period of time with a new and expensive build is the PERFECT time to get anal about it. Because if you find a mistake....you might actually have something left of the engine in usable shape if it turns out something really bad is wrong. It aint like AAA is going to replace your engine when it craps.....they will only tow your smoking load of scrap back to your driveway.

Also.....I dont know what kind of sh*t gauges you guys buy.....where 5-8 psi give or take accuracy is normal......or even acceptable......but I haven't bought a gauge with less than 1psi full scale accuracy in about 20 years. I think I have ranted about this in about 50 threads now.....and even posted about 50 part #s. They are also pretty cheap. Its a tool. I dont see you guys running around buying the cheapest torque wrenches you can possibly find....why would a gauge be any different? Its an instrument.

Protect your investment. Spend a measly $35-50 on a real pressure gauge. You can use it for both fuel and oil pressure. If you buy a quality gauge, clean and store it well and it will serve you for years. Good investment.

Ralph you keep right on doing what you are doing. You were right to question what you saw on the gauge. You were right to verify whether it was the electronic gauge by putting in a mechanical gauge. You just need a good gauge and to insulate the gauge from vibration when you use it....and unless you spend big bucks on an accurate gauge that is also heat and vibration proof.....just dont leave it bolted to the engine.

If you need a part number let me know.

By the way.....if you use a brake hose....use a teflon stainless hose.....not a standard rubber brake line. Remember....brake hoses are EDPM rubber....which does not mix with petroleum oils. Its life will be short.
Ray
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
As SGkent noted.....oil hoses are dangerous. Actually the hose is not the worry. Its the connectors.

I am not suggesting to EVER run gauges as a permanent fixure in the engine compartment....neither fuel or oil.

As for big bucks for gauges that are accurate?.....not really.

You can get a huge range of class A pressure gauges....accurate to 1 psi full scale.....for under $50.

For short term use under the hood for diagnostics....without worrying about vibration (use a hose) or about having a high temp gauge ...again use a hose as an insulator.......you wont need anything else gauge wise.

Now.....if you had some crazy idea to keep a gauge attached to the engine.....then yes....you would be looking for a class A minimum gauge....liquid filled....high temperature.....and THAT gets into big bucks.

As for.....not worrying about this variation.....the "run what you got"......just toss in some thicker/thinner oil and tune with it???????????? Really?

Sorry.....not trying to piss anyone off.....but some you guys just appear to be lazy sometimes. Wink Laughing

Sure thats all fine....+/- 5-8 psi "seems" like no big deal.....the saying that many, many engines idle when hot at 10 psi so thats no big deal....yeah thats all fine......unless you got 10 psi at idle and your gauge is off by -8 psi......in that case you are really running 2 psi.....and the receipt for the $6000-ish you just spent on the engine will make a nice post card 10-20k miles from now when you are tearing it down again.

I do not believe in the "just get it ok and drive it and not worry about".....mindset.....on a new build....an expensive build.....at the 100+ mile mark......when the REAL question at hand.....at the moment.....is.....is the gauge you are checking oil pressure with accurate?

This period of time with a new and expensive build is the PERFECT time to get anal about it. Because if you find a mistake....you might actually have something left of the engine in usable shape if it turns out something really bad is wrong. It aint like AAA is going to replace your engine when it craps.....they will only tow your smoking load of scrap back to your driveway.

Also.....I dont know what kind of sh*t gauges you guys buy.....where 5-8 psi give or take accuracy is normal......or even acceptable......but I haven't bought a gauge with less than 1psi full scale accuracy in about 20 years. I think I have ranted about this in about 50 threads now.....and even posted about 50 part #s. They are also pretty cheap. Its a tool. I dont see you guys running around buying the cheapest torque wrenches you can possibly find....why would a gauge be any different? Its an instrument.

Protect your investment. Spend a measly $35-50 on a real pressure gauge. You can use it for both fuel and oil pressure. If you buy a quality gauge, clean and store it well and it will serve you for years. Good investment.

Ralph you keep right on doing what you are doing. You were right to question what you saw on the gauge. You were right to verify whether it was the electronic gauge by putting in a mechanical gauge. You just need a good gauge and to insulate the gauge from vibration when you use it....and unless you spend big bucks on an accurate gauge that is also heat and vibration proof.....just dont leave it bolted to the engine.

If you need a part number let me know.

By the way.....if you use a brake hose....use a teflon stainless hose.....not a standard rubber brake line. Remember....brake hoses are EDPM rubber....which does not mix with petroleum oils. Its life will be short.
Ray

The hose I used is ptfe and stainless covered.

I fully intend to get to the bottom of this before I ruin what I just spent 2.5 months of work and a large pile of cash on. I ordered a new liquid filled mechanical oil pressure gauge and some Valvoline VR1 sae40 on amazon. We will see what I can accomplish with those 2 things. I'll swap in the gauge first and see what it says.

I think anyone here would shit a brick (like I did) if their idiot light came on solid after a highway run on an engine with 120 miles on it that they just spent close to $6k on.... I have neither the time or the money for another rebuild. I do have $50 and 10 minutes to swap a new gauge in and see if I should stop driving the bus.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 36, 37, 38  Next
Jump to:
Page 28 of 38

Jump to: