Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 36, 37, 38  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

RalphWiggam wrote:

How does the one under the #1 cylinder work?
Would either of these affect my fully up to temperature oil pressure?

The valve with the spring by the oil filter Bypasses the oil to the oil cooler if the oil pressure is to high.
The one under the #1 cylinder relieves oil pressure if it gets to high.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

They both should be removed and cleaned with every oil service.
An old wood chisel can be ground down to this profile and use an adjustable wrench to turn it.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7006294&highlight=oil+pressure+rel%2A#7006294

Or pick up a Drag link socket.
https://www.google.com/search?q=drag+link+socket&a...p;ie=UTF-8

Good luck
Tcash
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

The 2nd relief valve is found on early type 4s only.

The tool to remove is a ‘triple square’ like the CV bolts.
It’s also used on auto transmissions and different late model VW/Audi.
Can’t remember the exact size, but it is used in several other scenarios,
So you should have an easy time borrowing/buying one.

Smack the relief valve plug with a hammer,
And it will smush the crush ring,
And make it easy to remove
(Should it be stuck and give you trouble).

EMW sells a solid spacer kit to eliminate/replace the spring,
And hence the entire 2nd relief plug altogether.
The spacer pushes the relief valve solid against its seat,
Effectively turning your dual-relief case into single.
Pretty sure you just found a reason they do this.. Wink

What’s That Noise?!?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

RalphWiggam wrote:

I thought both of them only functioned at startup when oil pressure is really high? Would either of these affect my fully up to temperature oil pressure?

If the springs are weak they will limit the amount of oil pressure on any engine hot or cold. You could say they relieve excess pressure when the engine is cold and regulate it when it is hot.
Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

The motor I'm rebuilding is also a '72 CB block. It appears Mark Stephens put a notched piston with a stock spring in the 1st relief, and a limiting rod inside the spring at the 2nd control valve.
I've never had a pressure or temp. gauge installed, I'm apprehensive about this T4store 30mm pump I'm installing.

'75 Bus https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=697183&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

Ill pick up a 13mm triple square at lunch today and have a look at my second pressure relief valve tonight.

Ill also call EMW and talk to them about why someone should use their 2nd relief blocker kit. I would assume it is for people who switch to hydraulic lifters in an early case.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

The late case does more than just eliminate the second pressure valve. It also recirculates the over pressure oil that is dumped and sends it back to the oil pickup.
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

Just talked to EMW. They confirmed that their secondary relief blocker kit would do nothing for hot oil pressure.

I couldnt find a 13mm triple square bit anywhere. I found 12mm and 14mm (of course).

I read somewhere on here that a 3/8" socket extension fits perfectly. I will try that.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

RalphWiggam wrote:
Just talked to EMW. They confirmed that their secondary relief blocker kit would do nothing for hot oil pressure.

I couldnt find a 13mm triple square bit anywhere. I found 12mm and 14mm (of course).

I read somewhere on here that a 3/8" socket extension fits perfectly. I will try that.

This is correct...and its pretty much what Wildthings mentioned.

The valve under cylinders 1 and 2...is NOT a pressure relief valve in the sense that the larger one for the oil cooler is. That one is a pressure "relief" valve to protect the oil cooler. It has no other purpose.

The one over by cylinders 1 and 2....the one we are talking about right now....is the overall system pressure volume "maintenance" valve....combined with a relief function. Let me explain.

Yes....it can relieve pressure....but should only need to do so when pump output volume....which means pressure.... is at the extreme high end end of what is tolerable for the oil cooler relief valve to function properly.

With any pump/pressure system...the pump delivers "0" pressure (unless we are talking about a triple expansion pressure pump like a pressure washer)....so just like a fuel pump...which delivers a high volume of fuel backstopped by a check valve....to a circuit....and the regulator at the end of the line is just like putting your thumb over the end of a garden hose to create pressure.

The small valve on type 4 is that thumb over the end of the hose.
They actually could have done...mostly... the same thing....but simply drilling a small orifice at the end of that galley as the "restriction". But then....it would not have the variability it needs to keep pressure up....when oil is very hot and thin...at low idle speeds.

Really that 1/2 side valve does not need to open or unseat....except with stone cold thick oil....at high rpms. Its spring loading is a protector for when you take off without warmed up oil and get onto the highway quickly with the oil very thick and the pump rpm putting out maximum volume.

In those situations on a tight engine....the oil volume can overwhelm the oil cooler bypass and orifice. Its just a safeguard.

The hydraulic cases largely do not need this safeguard because the hydraulic lifters bleed enough main galley pressure through them during their operation.

SGKent....a question if you please...on the later hydraulic cases...did they just get rid of the valve...or the vent orifice back to the case too?

I was just thinking about this valve last week....as I cleaned one up. Its possible that some judicious work with this valve could make it much easier to drop in a 30mm type 1 pump or large Melling pump...without worry about bypassing the oil cooler....which is common.....by say...enlarging the return orifice back to the case....and readjusting the ...or making adjustable...the spring pressure on this valve.

So when oil volume gets too high from an overly large pump at highway rpms....having a slightly larger orifice and/or....slightly lower spring pressure on this valve...or vice versa...might be able to control that. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

Quote:
SGKent....a question if you please...on the later hydraulic cases...did they just get rid of the valve...or the vent orifice back to the case too?

Both - the second relief valve was eliminated, and the change outlined in the top photo was made. The oil pickups are different too because of the change.

tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

Is there a consensus on the late, single piston being grooved or solid? I pulled a solid piston out of my GEX rebuild which I obviously do not trust Laughing

I have seen some second hand reference to solid pistons in late single valve cases but nothing documented from an official source.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

I believe slotted. On a single relief the slot lets a set amount of oil bypass the gallery (and loop back around to the oil cooler again on late G series engines). On prior engines the excess that went thru the cooler was dumped back into the sump. Either way it let the engine cool more oil than it was using. We think our engines are air cooled but in reality they are both air and oil cooled. (Except Skills and his Subie friends who are water cooled).

021 115 411 A http://www.busdepot.com/021115411a

There is a lengthy debate and discussion here. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=623487
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
I believe slotted. On a single relief the slot lets a set amount of oil bypass the gallery (and loop back around to the oil cooler again on late G series engines). On prior engines the excess that went thru the cooler was dumped back into the sump. Either way it let the engine cool more oil than it was using. We think our engines are air cooled but in reality they are both air and oil cooled. (Except Skills and his Subie friends who are water cooled).

021 115 411 A http://www.busdepot.com/021115411a

There is a lengthy debate and discussion here. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=623487

That makes the most sense I have seen with this question so far.

It also tracks with the issues of getting slotted pistons in place of solid pistons starting back in the late 80s into the early 90s.....and the blank look of parts people....even some from dealer counters....who look you in the eye and state....."its the latest model....runs cooler"......when in reality....it will run cooler on a late case....with all of the factory mods you just described that were put into the late cases to run with hydraulic lifters.

With both the pressure control valve and its orifice gone.....which forces higher oil volume through the main galleys....you would NEED that slotted piston.

The slightly expanded area right below the piston seat....above the narrower threaded portion of the relief valve bore.....allows that slotted piston to bypass to the groove that runs down the bore.....in two locations now....bypassing more oil volume to allow the cooler to stay in the loop in the face of higher oil volume.

It also does the same thing in earlier cases.....that have both valves....which can be a bad thing with a pump....because even though it keeps the cooler in the loop....it bypasses more as well.

And thank you for the earlier answer on the orifice. Ray
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

Both of mine are slotted. Here are some pics of the second oil control valve I pulled out from under the #1 cylinder.

Should mine not be slotted? This valve was a bit scored on the top so I sanded it down and polished it back up. It was moving very nicely in its bore. I don't think it has anything to do with my low oil pressure when hot.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

RalphWiggam wrote:
Both of mine are slotted.

Should mine not be slotted? This valve was a bit scored on the top so I sanded it down and polished it back up. It was moving very nicely in its bore. I don't think it has anything to do with my low oil pressure when hot.

This drawing seems to show that both valve plungers are slotted. Been a while so I really don't remember.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

make a block of wood the size of the dimension in Bentley where it reads at X pounds. Then get the bathroom scale. Put the spring and block side by side on something solid and zero the scale. Push the spring down. As you push it you will see the weight go up slowly until it reaches the thickness of the block of wood, then it will go up suddenly. That instant before it jumps is the weight of the spring at the Bentley height. Personally I think it will be close. Were it me I would replace that plunger as it is pitted. You can sand it on 1500 grit paper to smooth the top until it is smooth in the meantime.

I replaced mine and saw pressure go up and temps fall about 10%, & mine looked nicer than your valve. That said I would replace both of the valves then test oil pressure again. I got mine from VW Heritage but Bus Depot says they have them now.

When those valves leak you are getting the slotted leak which VW planned for and the valve leaking too so it drops the PSI enough that it is a problem when hot.
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

Here's Colin's method too measure spring pressure:

http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?t=12459&start=15

Ray, Steve thanks for the feedback on the correct Piston. A new genuine slotted one just arrived from Heritage Parts so I'll use that.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

A bathroom scale on a drill press table works too, set the spindle stop to the required height.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

Put my new set of Duralast Gold plug wires on last night along with the new mechanical oil pressure gauge.

Took it for a spin to get it real nice and hot. Same issue. Once the oil get to about 205 or so I only see about 25psi at 3500 rpm. The idiot light is now coming on at the majority of stop lights when the engine is hot. I was by myself so I couldn't read the mechanical gauge at different revs.

I'm going to grab some VR1 Racing 20w-50 tonight and see what that does. I'll try again to get all of the air out of my 18" sender extension. I'll also check the main pressure relief and pull the oil screen and make sure everything is ok while I'm changing the oil.

Anyone have any other ideas? Am I just delaying the inevitable of having to install a 26mm oil pump?

Relevant Info:
- 150 miles since full rebuild
- Running SAE 30 break in oil
- Dual relief case
- Fuel pump bushing and shortened rod are in place (using electric fuel pump)
- Replaced o-ring on oil pump during rebuild
- Gears and housing in oil pump looked good during rebuild
- No gasket on oil pump flange to case (used loctite 518)
- Both pressure relief pistons are moving freely
- Using Mann 920/17 oil filters
- Running a remote oil pressure sender/idiot light setup with 18" stainless hose from the idiot light port in the case
- Dual pole and single pole VDO senders indicate about the same
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

send the pump to Phil to be re-machined. That is the only thing I could recommend. Whether that will fix the issue or not I don't know. You are losing pressure somewhere. 20-50 will improve the issue but it isn't the only issue you are having.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

I agree with SGKent.

You note....that pump and gears "looked" ok. Did you do any measurements?

The pump has two main factors that can create low volume.....both represent qbout 50% of volume losses in my experience....one is gear end play.....as Steve was getting at.....haging it remachined or lapping like I did can correct that.

The gear mesh combined with any excessive slop of the gears on the shaft is the other 50%. Having either one but not both.....means only a little bit of loss. Having both can be significant.

The other question I have to ask....simply because I cannot remember.....how were your crank bearing to journal tolerances on both mains and rods?

We tend to work hardest at the main to crank bearing journal tolerances in order prevent excessive movement to prevent both pounding and oil pressure loss.

But in reality the rod journal bearing tolerances are even more critical....for both straight running of rods and that due to their oscillation movement and being at the end of the line of the oil flow chain through the crank.....and because of those factors....need to somewhat be the "thumb" over the end of the hose.......larger than ideal oil tolerances on the rod bearing can be a prime cause of low oil pressure.

A good overall rule of thumb for ideal rod bearing oil tolerances is a MAXIMUM of .001" for each 1.0" of rod journal diameter. So the rod journals are 2.16".....so the absolute max for the oil tolerance and mechanical movement and oil film is .0021".

Though the factory tolerance is 0.0008" to 0.006".....that .006" is insane...unless you have the absolute minimum rod side clearance (axial play). Most of us have somewhere in the upper 75% of rod side play tolerance....unless we are using brand new aftermarket rods.....so that means that our rod bearing to crank journal oil tolerance needs to be as tight as possible.....about .002" max.....for best oil pressure.

But none of this is tragic. Its why there IS tunability in both oil viscosity or rebuild your pump and/or the ability to even go to a 26mm pump if your pump is a bit worn.

If you wrote down what your pump and your rod and main journal tolerance measurements were.....then you probably have your answer as to WHY your oil pressure is low.

I also applaud the way you have gone about this. I know its time consuming and tedious.....but its the correct. Way. Too many people just automatically throw a thicker oil at an engine....without real diagnostic work to all of the potential other issues.....like verifying oil pressure gauges and senders....and absolutely verifying that oil pressure relief and control valve pistons and springs are spot on.

Knowing what its NOT.....will point you to what it actually is. What I disagree with...especailly with what you spent.....is just automatically throwing big pumps and heavy oil at an engine when that may not be the issue. Both have their trade offs. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 36, 37, 38  Next
Jump to:
Page 29 of 38

Jump to: