Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

Regarding this link...
https://www.typ4shop.de/product_info.php?info=p593_Oelpumpe-Typ4-30mm-BILLET-CNC.html

If you end up having no other option and that helps, Orratech is at least a known engine builder/seller in Germany. I can't speak for their reputation or quality though, as I've never used them. But I'm really surprised they don't speak English.

I've been following the thread from the background and getting interested in the pump discussion lately, as it's something I guess some of us will have to tackle in the future. Am I right that these are the options you've considered (and thus what's available nowadays)?

• Rebuilt pump (24 mm gear)
• Orratech's German CNC billet pump (30 mm gear)
• Melling pump (30 mm gear, steel case)
• Schadeck pump (30 mm or 26 mm gear)
• CB Performance pump (26 mm gear)

Decode your M-Plate
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

furgo wrote:
Regarding this link...
https://www.typ4shop.de/product_info.php?info=p593_Oelpumpe-Typ4-30mm-BILLET-CNC.html

If you end up having no other option and that helps, Orratech is at least a known engine builder/seller in Germany. I can't speak for their reputation or quality though, as I've never used them. But I'm really surprised they don't speak English.

I've been following the thread from the background and getting interested in the pump discussion lately, as it's something I guess some of us will have to tackle in the future. Am I right that these are the options you've considered (and thus what's available nowadays)?

As I think I commented....maybe in this thread......I actually gnash my teeth a bit over the Melling pump.

I have one that was clearanced from the factory to run on type 4. It looks like your average cast iron pump at a glance. It is SUPERBLY built. Case tolerances and gear tolerances are just plain excellent!

The temperature expansion thing leading to case fit leakage.....is an easy, easy fix with the method I listed in my oil pump link. Its machined steel lid is very flat and seals perfectly.

For the low cost....quality wise.....its a damn fine option. I ran it for a while.

Its only problem is the 30mm gears. It absolutely bypassed the oil cooler on a regular basis.

But it is such a nice pump.....I have been thinking of drilling a hole and installing a small bypass port and ball check valve....that vents oil back to the case....and is adjustable from the outside when installed. One could just needle to only allow 55- 65 psi max at full warmed up.
In the 20k miles I ran it....it didn't even develope a single wear mark inside.

It would be a fabulous option if it could be limited in oil volume. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
furgo wrote:
Regarding this link...

As I think I commented....maybe in this thread......I actually gnash my teeth a bit over the Melling pump.

I have one that was clearanced from the factory to run on type 4. It looks like your average cast iron pump at a glance. It is SUPERBLY built. Case tolerances and gear tolerances are just plain excellent!

The temperature expansion thing leading to case fit leakage.....is an easy, easy fix with the method I listed in my oil pump link. Its machined steel lid is very flat and seals perfectly.

For the low cost....quality wise.....its a damn fine option. I ran it for a while.

Its only problem is the 30mm gears. It absolutely bypassed the oil cooler on a regular basis.

But it is such a nice pump.....I have been thinking of drilling a hole and installing a small bypass port and ball check valve....that vents oil back to the case....and is adjustable from the outside when installed. One could just needle to only allow 55- 65 psi max at full warmed up.
In the 20k miles I ran it....it didn't even develope a single wear mark inside.

It would be a fabulous option if it could be limited in oil volume. Ray

That's kind of what I was getting at in bringing up the full flow pump with remote oil cooler; the possibility of regulating oil pressure at it's higher ranges as well as keeping oil temps cooler to improve pressure. Could a full flow setup be used without an oil cooler with something plumbed in to limit maximum pressure?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

limit your pressure by choosing a viscosity that stays in the proper range. No need for anything else unless you run the same oil 12 mo a year.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
limit your pressure by choosing a viscosity that stays in the proper range. No need for anything else unless you run the same oil 12 mo a year.

With the melling pump......it will bypass the cooler even down to 10-20 oil at highway rpms on an engine with factory spec main and rod bearings and oil cooler relief system. Been there qand done that!

Its not just the bigger gears. There are a few geometry bits and pieces of the Melling. Subtle.....but a nice design. It puts out a sh*t ton of oil volume. Its a VERY efficient pump.

While I HIGHLY respect the engineering prowess and R&D of VW engineering over their collective 1000 years of work.....I am also generally not one who subscribes to the blind faith ....like too many do IMHO.....that everything they made and designed is perfect and "the best"....because I have seen numerous errors or compromises in these cars that could have been better.................but there is one thing I do not screw with that I think VW did as best as anyone could.........and has so far done very well......and that is the oil cooler relief valve system.

It works on a stock configuration engine....as good as could be designed with all other issues at hand .....on a stock configuration engine. It can cause enough issues when you start changing other components in the oil system.....and is so hard to accurately re-tune......that I would rather screw with and modify the pump that supplies the oil.....an expendable replaceable part.... ..than start twiddling with varying oil weight or tweaking spring and piston......to get the relief system to work consistently. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

I like the process that is already proven to run the bus 100,000 miles. 10 psi per 1000 RPM is all that is needed. It was 100F when I took the bus out the other day. The oil was 180F and it was 20 PSI per 1000 with a stock pump. That viscosity is overkill excepting that if we take it to Yosemite then it hits 260F on the extended climb into the Sierra's which will give me just 10 - 12 PSI per 1000. Very happy with the stock pump. Maybe VW screwed up and I was just dumb lucky to have such good luck. My stock pump on the 1971 dual port used to support 5,500 - 6,000 RPM for hours on the way to Havasu. Guess I was just stupid lucky to be so blessed with it.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
I like the process that is already proven to run the bus 100,000 miles. 10 psi per 1000 RPM is all that is needed. It was 100F when I took the bus out the other day. The oil was 180F and it was 20 PSI per 1000 with a stock pump. That viscosity is overkill excepting that if we take it to Yosemite then it hits 260F on the extended climb into the Sierra's which will give me just 10 - 12 PSI per 1000. Very happy with the stock pump. Maybe VW screwed up and I was just dumb lucky to have such good luck. My stock pump on the 1971 dual port used to support 5,500 - 6,000 RPM for hours on the way to Havasu. Guess I was just stupid lucky to be so blessed with it.

There you go again....reading things into what I said that are not even there! Wink

You completely missed the point.

No one said VW screwed up with the type 4 pump at all. I didn't even allude to that in the remotest sense. And....no one said that the 10 psi per 1000 rpm is not an excellent way to go. That method and the pressure relief system that maintains it works excellently..........which is EXACTLY what I said.

The type 4 pump is superb.

But.....do you have a source for new one that one can quickly buy when they need one? Anyone manufacturing them anywhere?.....do you have a RELIABLE constant source for rebuildable core gears for the future.....it rebuilding them is the only type 4 based option?.....do you have an answer for what to go to when all of that dries up?.......didnt think so.

Thats why....we are talking about ALTERNATE pumps......and what me may be able to do.....or have to do..... to use alternate, easy to find...well made pumps....that can be tweaked....to operate at the same output as the stock type 4 pump....so we DO NOT have to screw with the excellent pressure system the type 4 case came with from the factory.

The oil chart for VW.....is not there as JUST a tool to vary oil viscosity at temperature....to make up for shortcomings in pump output.

It makes the assumption that any and every oil is exactly like the other and the only difference is viscosity.
There are so many characteristic differences in film strength, shear, anti-scuff, lubricity etc.....between same oil series at different viscosities.....that doing things like running a 20 weight with ambient temps over 100°.....just to compensate for an overly large oil pump......is a poor way to do business.

This is not a water cooled engine where you can ...as easily...get away with that.

When all things are excellent....sure.....running thinner synthetics in any weather is just fine.....but not as the primary mechanism for correcting an output fault at the pump. Ray
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

I should be getting my bus on the road in the next two weeks after finishing a cab door rebuild and replacing my windshield.

One of the first things I'm going to do is replace my CB performance pump with the stock pump I tightened up over the winter. I will get some numbers from driving with both pumps and describe what I find. It certainly doesn't get Death Valley hot here in northern NY, but a few highway flogs through the Adirondack High Peaks region should get my engine toasty enough. Ralph's oil temp and pressure readings were very similar to mine so hopefully the information will be helpful.
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

Like was said before, there are things you just cannot fix anymore WRT oil clearances in these motors.

Because bearing specs are now looser, to a crank that's polished instead of turned, to lifter bores being worn... Etc. Etc.

If you have a pump that's a couple mm longer to compensate, thats a great solution!

These motors are actually really simple and forgiving.
You can build the thing as a temple to your superior manhood, or your overlord mastery of the physical realm,
compensation for being bald, old and fat..
Whatever you hangup is... Rolling Eyes

Or you can build it to go camping with your family and have a great time.
These things do not have to be 100% perfect to run fine for years.

How about just throwing the gauges away?

There is more than one solution to this.

Our OP doesn't yet even know if the pump is actually the problem, BTW..

What’s That Noise?!?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

Quote:
Like was said before, there are things you just cannot fix anymore WRT oil clearances in these motors.

I know what you are getting at and I do not say it does not have merit....but I almost totally disagree on most of this.

There are only three items in these motors with regard to oil clearance that cannot be easily and fairly cheaply fixed.

1. The bore and fit of the oil pressure relief valve
2. A case that is warped and leaking at the oil ports between the case halves.
3. Lifter bores...and these are not even that big of an oil pressure loss...in solid lifter cases.

The rod bearings...measure it. If the journal is too small....have it ground and go to the next undersized. The only real difficulty is the variance in bearings...so when going to the next under size...stay at the top of the tolerance so it can be polished to fit. Its simple and not even expensive. Its just methodology.

The crank journals...same exact thing.

The rod side clearance....if it gets past the middle...you can literally just buy new rods for pretty cheap....cheaper than it costs to rebuild properly

Quote:
If you have a pump that's a couple mm longer to compensate, thats a great solution!

Yes...it CAN be....and this is where I agree. Going to a 26mm pump...MAY be a pretty good fix for the slightly worn/ sloppy type of engine you are talking about.

However...for someone whose bearing and bore tolerances are not sloppy....its not a good answer. It can be an issue of oscillating oil pressures because with a tight engine 2 extra mm of pump size can and WILL screw with your oil pressure relief valve. Its not just a linear progression of 2mm extra providing exactly X% more output.

Quote:
These motors are actually really simple and forgiving.

Yep...agree...to a point.
They can be very forgiving if your stuff is bone stock and in excellent shape.

It depends on what you consider "forgiving". Spending good money and effort and letting things rolls just cause you do not want to put in a little extra effort or money.....because hey...the engines are forgiving...and receiving 50k miles from an engine that should run 125 to 150k....is a mess....and a waste of time and money if when it craps....its un-rebuildable junk......thats not forgiving.

Quote:
You can build the thing as a temple to your superior manhood, or your overlord mastery of the physical realm,
compensation for being bald, old and fat..
Whatever you hangup is... Rolling Eyes

Whatever?.... Rolling Eyes ...dont know where this comes from...I do not have any of those issues. My car is a member of the family. Its not just a vehicle to get to the campground. I like my car. Its not just a fun vehicle to drag the family out to camping.

See....thats the blind spot that" family" people have...with regard to how non family people think. You think everyone thinks like you do.

With you....the presence of the family and the destination are what your main focus is....and the fact that you do it in a VW....is just a nice accessory...gravy on the cake....(ever had a cake with gravy?...its good!).

I like my car and like to drive it on thousand mile trips...because the vehicle ITSELF and the old interesting technology...ITSELF....is a pleasure. The company I bring along...and the potential fun at the destination....are the secondary accessory for me....the gravy on MY cake!

Therefore I protect my car by doing the best I can for it.

This is where most people make the mistake when they see a lot of older guys in an older restored car. They think...yep...there it is....a midlife crisis...trying to relive the glory days....got a new convertible red Porsche/penis.... Laughing ....when in reality a lot of those guys (and gals)...that I meet....are driving the car because they have had it for eons and only now have the money in life to make it work the way it should...and they enjoy the cars...because they enjoy the car.

Also...I have been on the receiving end of driving an ACVW and having a breakdown in the middle of nowhere that could have been prevented with a little more careful effort...and coming back from a walk or hitched ride to the parts store to find my car stripped. been there. It sucks to start over when you could have fixed with a little more diligence.

I have been on the receiving end of having a failure in a dark underpass that could have been prevented by a little more effort....and nearly getting killed by a dump truck.

I think of doing a little more to get it right...simply as insurance for both my life and the car I like a lot.

Quote:
Or you can build it to go camping with your family and have a great time.
These things do not have to be 100% perfect to run fine for years.

Who is shooting for perfect? Thats impossible. I am simply shooting for correct ENOUGH....and safe ENOUGH in all functions!

Quote:
How about just throwing the gauges away?

Sure! Not a problem!.....Totally agree!
I have driven most of my million plus miles without any gauges....on board WITH me.
The object is to do the build work correctly enough...and do regular maintenance correctly ...and that includes checks with the gauges....so that you KNOW...that all you have to do...is keep it tuned...filled with oil ...and drive it.

This I agree on. For the most part...there is not really that much need for gauges...IF....IF...IF...you know you built an engine properly, with good tolerances, good oil pressure, no leaks, you have good filters, you keep it tuned correctly and when you stop for gas...take a look around to see if anything is changing. If you want to roll that way....you have to do it right.

I mean think about it...and I know that you have.... Very Happy ...your transmission and suspension are no more or less complex....and you have no gauges on those....right? But they have to be put together right....to be solid enough to ignore while you drive. Doing them cheaply, wrong or just enough...can kill you.

Quote:
There is more than one solution to this.

Absolutely! that is also what I am getting at. But with an oil pump....you do have to measure it. What you have is either good...bad...or ailing....and you do not just slap in another pump without measuring.

Quote:
Our OP doesn't yet even know if the pump is actually the problem, BTW....

Yes...that is why I keep saying...pull it...and measure it. And...if it has several thousandths end play...and is in the middle to upper tolerance for wear in the gears....then its likely a big part of the stack of possible oil system issues...and fixing it to a KNOWN level....will indicate what the problem is NOT.
Ray
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

I wasn't talking about you, Ray.. Laughing

What’s That Noise?!?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
I wasn't talking about you, Ray.. Laughing

he is making fun of me. That is Ok. Clatter knows he is walking on thin ice when he does but he enjoys poking at me anyway. Smile
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

I'm making fun of ALL of you! Laughing

I have come a long, long, (LONG!) way from my survival-driver days of yore.

The things we all did all of the time way back when would be considered the most heinous of hacks today.
But,
My bus just ran and ran and ran, and does so to this day.
Dag, the stories I could tell... Stuff that would have all here dog-piling me in a mob,
but it always ran.
None of my hacks ever caused a failure.
It was my only car for like six-eight(?) years?

Any failures for me were from unknown random unforeseeables,
like fuel pump failure,
Or an ignition switch that decided one day to just quit connecting hot power to coil.

Now,
of anyone who I know (away from here and out in the real world) who did or does these things,
They consider me the nuttiest anal retentive nutbag in the nut store.
HAM heads!?!? HOW much money!?!?
You're out of your mind!
Why bother switching to 72-74 exhaust and a header, it doesn't make that much of a difference.
Etc. etc. etc...

You guys on this forum are just completely out of your tree.
Enough of the mob keeps repeating the same stories,
Some newcomers might actually start believing it!

I have now built an automotive temple to my awesomeness,
That is WAY overkill for the duties at hand.
Sure,
It sings a sweet song, and carries me thousands of miles across country.
But,
it's way 'overbuilt' for what it really needs to do.
And it's still unknowns like the ignition switch and the fuel pump that will cause me grief on a long trip far from home...! Exclamation

So,
Yeah,
Go ahead and build the best motor you absolutely can,
If that's what you are here to do.
But,
Don't mistake it for building a motor that will run well and last for a long time.

Truth be told,
It's really the totally neglected run-out-of-oil motors that throw a rod,
And the run-lean-for-30-years motors that suck a valve.
Otherwise,
Your motor that had some grave thing wrong will just get tired and be annoyingly slow to drive, or not pass smog, or some other non-catastrophic thing that can be fixed when you get home.

Moving on to our OP,
(and any stretch of relevance this rant might have to this thread Laughing ),
He might do well to inspect his pump first, before deciding the problem is the pump.

If i could wager on this,
My guess is that the pump is OK,
And the normal bearing tolerances that w see with new parts these days
Are found within Ralph's engine.
(Combined, of course, with things like lifter bores and relief valve bores that can lesson oil pressure).

While a guy like Ray, (Or Jake Raby, who corrects these things on all of the motors he builds, BTW),
Can take the time to do what is needed to get the correct tight factory tolerances on the main and rod bearings,
That is not so for mere mortals who don't have their own mics to send to their crank grinder.

Because several of the reground cranks i have seen lately are on the small side.
(being safe by not being too tight),
And the bearings also seem to run on the big/loose side,
Most of these aircooled motors these days being built are already on the loose side of spec for new parts.

Unless you have your own crank grinder, you are NOT going to easily get the oil clearances right on your bottom end.

Re-bushing lifter bores and resizing oil plunger piston holes is not typically done by a home builder in his garage, either.

So,
just HOW is any normal person who has oil pressure issues going to achieve the nirvana that comes from seeing their $29 VDO gauge say 30PSI at 3,000RPM?

Try a slightly bigger pump..

What’s That Noise?!?
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
I'm making fun of ALL of you! Laughing

I have come a long, long, (LONG!) way from my survival-driver days of yore.

The things we all did all of the time way back when would be considered the most heinous of hacks today.
But,
My bus just ran and ran and ran, and does so to this day.
Dag, the stories I could tell... Stuff that would have all here dog-piling me in a mob,
but it always ran.
None of my hacks ever caused a failure.
It was my only car for like six-eight(?) years?

Any failures for me were from unknown random unforeseeables,
like fuel pump failure,
Or an ignition switch that decided one day to just quit connecting hot power to coil.

Now,
of anyone who I know (away from here and out in the real world) who did or does these things,
They consider me the nuttiest anal retentive nutbag in the nut store.
HAM heads!?!? HOW much money!?!?
You're out of your mind!
Why bother switching to 72-74 exhaust and a header, it doesn't make that much of a difference.
Etc. etc. etc...

You guys on this forum are just completely out of your tree.
Enough of the mob keeps repeating the same stories,
Some newcomers might actually start believing it!

I have now built an automotive temple to my awesomeness,
That is WAY overkill for the duties at hand.
Sure,
It sings a sweet song, and carries me thousands of miles across country.
But,
it's way 'overbuilt' for what it really needs to do.
And it's still unknowns like the ignition switch and the fuel pump that will cause me grief on a long trip far from home...! Exclamation

So,
Yeah,
Go ahead and build the best motor you absolutely can,
If that's what you are here to do.
But,
Don't mistake it for building a motor that will run well and last for a long time.

Truth be told,
It's really the totally neglected run-out-of-oil motors that throw a rod,
And the run-lean-for-30-years motors that suck a valve.
Otherwise,
Your motor that had some grave thing wrong will just get tired and be annoyingly slow to drive, or not pass smog, or some other non-catastrophic thing that can be fixed when you get home.

Moving on to our OP,
(and any stretch of relevance this rant might have to this thread Laughing ),
He might do well to inspect his pump first, before deciding the problem is the pump.

If i could wager on this,
My guess is that the pump is OK,
And the normal bearing tolerances that w see with new parts these days
Are found within Ralph's engine.
(Combined, of course, with things like lifter bores and relief valve bores that can lesson oil pressure).

While a guy like Ray, (Or Jake Raby, who corrects these things on all of the motors he builds, BTW),
Can take the time to do what is needed to get the correct tight factory tolerances on the main and rod bearings,
That is not so for mere mortals who don't have their own mics to send to their crank grinder.

Because several of the reground cranks i have seen lately are on the small side.
And the bearings also seem to run on the big/loose side,
Most of these aircooled motors these days being built are already on the loose side of spec for new parts.

Unless you have your own crank grinder, you are NOT going to easily get the oil clearances right on your bottom end.

Re-bushing lifter bores and resizing oil plunger piston holes is not typically done by a home builder in his garage, either.

So,
just HOW is any normal person who has oil pressure issues going to achieve the nirvana that comes from seeing their $29 VDO gauge say 30PSI at 3,000RPM?

Try a slightly bigger pump..

BLASPHEMER!

Actually this bus IS my midlife crisis and I have been sublimating my erectile dysfunction anxiety into trying to achieve higher oil pressure. I thought I was getting somewhere

FUCK!

I had a dream of of resurrecting the shaggin wagon of my wild youth, that rolling orange pleasure palace and bringing it back to the former glory it was 20 years before that.

With my new toupee firmly affixed, sporting a fresh pair of Depends I would hit the town looking for that special lady. I would take her home to watch Matlock reruns or even Dr. Quinn medicine woman (Hey, I'm a sensitive guy) and inadvertently slip in my VHS copy of Angela Landsbury's sex tape just to set the mood. It was going to work too!

YOU BASTARD!

Now I realize that with the money I spent for all these oil pumps I've been diddling these last months that I could have easily paid for a cheap hooker.

GOD DAMN YOU!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Clatter is always having fun with us! Very Happy

I am NEVER in an all fired hurry that re-balances my time to NOT do things the best that I can...like trying to set oil tolerances back to factory specs....

I do not have to frantically get my VW ready to be able to take the family on camping trips when summer hits....to justify my cars existence...or make it useful.
I do not have to crazily slap things together to be able to get it to the VW show next weekend...because I dont care about the shows.

And yes... if I need a tool...I save up for it...or buy it used and refurb or recalibrate it...or even borrow it. I pay for machine work that is needed when I can afford it. If not...it waits.

I do not have to do....just the best that I can with the crap I got on hand....to go asap....because its not my daily driver.

Yes....I do have time to do it better. I take the time. As I noted....again I think in this thread....and all of that just said.... goes right along with my personal philosophy regarding MY VW......because I drove this actual car the better part of 500k miles already.

I got all of that silly...gotta drive IMMEDIATELY.... cap...out of my system long ago. I decided I would try driving it another way that I have not already done.....when in its near perfect condition...nearly fully restored...and well preserved.

Ham heads are too much money...for me. Not saying they are not worth it....but then again I have enough parts and connections to have heads THAT GOOD...built on my own with a lot of my own work....for money I CAN AFFORD.

See thats the difference. Why are HAM heads too expensive for you?...because you would rather spend that money taking your family camping.

To me...thats a waste of good car parts money. To you...its what you are building the car FOR. To each their own. Wink

And....then there is the other difference. You noted...build the best motor you "can". Just dont mistake it for building a motor that will last a long time.

What?.....?....? Rolling Eyes ...Damn Clatter...you must just have poor experiences. ....and you know I'm just pulling your leg...but I am semi serious Laughing

There your are showing YOUR mindset that say.... that with what YOU are willing to invest....time and money wise....it seems to make no difference and you do not get worthwhile longevity..................................................................while my experiences building MANY type 4 engines..... are totally opposite.

Yeah...if you just slap it together...with tolerances and parts that are just what you get or can manage....sure...it may not last as long or any longer...than factory.
And if thats what you want to do....not a thing wrong with that....and I mean that. It a balance between time and money for what you want out of your VW.
And I am not normal.... Wink

However....if you build it carefully...choose your parts and machine work well...you CAN actually make it last longer than the factory build....easily. It costs more time than money.

Just building it to factory specs....and going to synthetic oil....and tuning it better than the baseline level the factory provided....virtually insures that.

Ray
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

This thread is going Off topic. Please stay on topic.

I can't find it, but the last time the subject of type IV oil pumps not being available came up. Someone posted a link to IIRC an Italian comparing manufacturing oil pumps for the 914 world.

These popped up with a search.
Housing
http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-Oil-Pump-Housing-Parts-PN-G021115107A.html
Genuine Porsche Pump
http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-Oil-Pump-Parts-PN-G021115107AK.html

Good luck
Tcash
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

For the record, all of the tolerances that I thought needed checking (according to the Wilson book), were in spec. There really isn't anything in that book about the oil pump so I didn't even know to check it. There also isn't really anything about the relief bores in Wilson's book. I did what the book and people here told me to do. Im no expert, but I'm figuring it out and will do my best to pass the knowledge on to the next generation.

When I saw what might be an issue during break in I started troubleshooting. Always start with the easiest things first, right? That's what I am doing. Respect the process, right? I've only got about 400 miles on the engine and the pressure issue only arises in certain conditions. I doubt I've done much if any damage. I'm still working through it and I'm sure I'll get it figured out. The oil pump is now my next stop. It might be that a fresh type 4 pump still won't solve the issue. If not I'll move to something with bigger gears and more risk if I have to. Maybe my middle of the road clearances needed a 26mm or 30mm pump to begin with. Ok, that's fine, but how would I ever know that if I didn't try other things first?

I also had no idea it was impossible to find a good oem type 4 pump. I do find it odd that no aftermarket parts companies have created a proper solution.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

There is an aftermarket company manufacturing new pumps. The supplier is buried in one of the many Type 4 oil pump threads. Or worse yet someone's build thread. I can't find it, It was a work of art buitifully machined with new gears.

Need google translate
http://www.adv-performance.de/Eigene%20Produkte.html

http://www.tp-technologie.de/products_dry_sump_oil_pump.htm

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc..._chars=200
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

Ralph the lash (movement of tail shaft up and down) you are looking for is about .0015". Anything more than .0002" is wear on the pump body. If you are patient Phil will take care of you.
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Sealing rings at top/bottom of cylinders Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
There is an aftermarket company manufacturing new pumps. The supplier is buried in one of the many Type 4 oil pump threads. Or worse yet someone's build thread. I can't find it, It was a work of art buitifully machined with new gears.

Need google translate
http://www.adv-performance.de/Eigene%20Produkte.html

http://www.tp-technologie.de/products_dry_sump_oil_pump.htm

I have contacted both German companies who offer that CNC pump. One of them didnt respond and the other one only accepts wire transfer payment.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next
Jump to:
Page 35 of 38

Jump to: