Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Why was it parked? 1972 Type 3 Variant squareback
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Why was it parked? 1972 Type 3 Variant squareback Reply with quote

Been bugging (no pun) this guy for over a year to show me his 1972 Type 3 Variant squareback, hopefully described it correctly. Well yesterday I finally got to see the car. It has been parked for 8 yrs based on the tag on the plate. Yes it will need work what doesn’t it. Oh of course it ran when parked. Then why park it? I need to ask some pointed questions to the fellow as to why? Do not want to shame him either. Will not make an offer at this time as the car was locked, could not get inside. Still need to get under the car for pan inspection. So what would you ask, what would you offer. However I want them to tell me what they want.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Why was it parked? Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
Been bugging (no pun) this guy for over a year to show me his 1972 Type 3 Variant squareback, hopefully described it correctly. Well yesterday I finally got to see the car. It has been parked for 8 yrs based on the tag on the plate. Yes it will need work what doesn’t it. Oh of course it ran when parked. Then why park it? I need to ask some pointed questions to the fellow as to why? Do not want to shame him either. Will not make an offer at this time as the car was locked, could not get inside. Still need to get under the car for pan inspection. So what would you ask, what would you offer. However I want them to tell me what they want.

Type 3 has some serious unique areas to inspect for pre purchase. I’d go over to type 3 forum for a primer from the old hands. Most parts are available through aftermarket but some key pieces are not and you need to know this. I like type 3 more room and more comfortable. If you get this car pm me I’ll hook you up with a type 3 guru. Very Happy
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Why was it parked? Reply with quote

I find the direct question to be most effective. "What is wrong with it? Why was it parked?" And of course the most important, "Is it for sale?" There must be some attachment to the car, otherwise, why keep it?

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Why was it parked? 1972 Type 3 Variant squareback Reply with quote

Most probably....for brake or transmission issues.....note the cinder block chock under the rear wheel.

Even if it ran fine.....why would you be afraid of it rolling away if all of the other systems are working?
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Why was it parked? 1972 Type 3 Variant squareback Reply with quote

([If you get this car pm me I’ll hook you up with a type 3 guru.]) Zundfolge1432 I will.
(["Is it for sale?" ]) Yes it is Qdog
I did tell him upon my return with a battery, floor jack so I can see what else I can ding him for on the price. It was converted to a center mount weber. yes did see the cinder block.
Keep up the input as I am not familiar with the type 3.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Why was it parked? 1972 Type 3 Variant squareback Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
It was converted to a center mount weber.

Probably why it was parked.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Why was it parked? 1972 Type 3 Variant squareback Reply with quote

$2000-3,000.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BSQUARE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Why was it parked? 1972 Type 3 Variant squareback Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
$2000-3,000.

I wouldn't pay anywhere near that for a car that's been parked outside for so many years, non-running, with unknown issues. If it doesn't run, assume the engine and trans are shot, the brakes need a full rebuild - basically, anything that can't be verified as working should be assumed to be bad...

In its favor - it does appear fairly complete and not rusty, although they do tend to rust in places you can't see in the pictures.

I'd offer $1200 max, if it's solid in the wheel arches and rockers, the interior shows no signs of mice, and isn't otherwise trashed/stripped.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Why was it parked? 1972 Type 3 Variant squareback Reply with quote

I'm just guessing what the seller wants for the car. He might not be interested in your $1200 assessment. He hasn't even advertised it yet so you'd prolly be towing home an empty trailer. They're still dancing around a price in AZ!
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OvalinAz
Samba Mini Tech

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Why was it parked? 1972 Type 3 Variant squareback Reply with quote

$500-1000
12/62 French 11 Window Bus

EverettB wrote:
chromies should be outlawed and thrown in the trash

Pandraggers C.C.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Why was it parked? 1972 Type 3 Variant squareback Reply with quote

I am liking the 500 1000 and even the 1200. Generally want to here what the seller would want. Then go from there on the beat up of what it needs. Tires first, all rubber lines, etc. so the 500~1000 is not out of line. As mentioned still learning about the type 3 Variant.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
ibjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Why was it parked? 1972 Type 3 Variant squareback Reply with quote

So let me get this straight, you've been bugging this guy to see his squareback knowing that it has sat there for many years. You know little about squarebacks but you want the person who you bugged to give you a price so that you can beat them down on it by telling them what it needs or what is wrong???? Look in the classified, there are no complete cars for sale at the $500-$1000 range. Best of luck though.
the1500club.com
Shop Lacky at the T3/34 Factory, https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100094313902074
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Why was it parked? 1972 Type 3 Variant squareback Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:

Looks like it'll be fun trying to get that car out of there. Laughing Laughing
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Why was it parked? 1972 Type 3 Variant squareback Reply with quote

Oh man getting it out of there. That alone is I make the purchase will take about 4 hrs as tires holding air go on. Then ramps have to be built to get it up onto and across the gazebo. Your not moving the gazebo, why it was built is beyond me. Maybe they figured the car to be yard art.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Why was it parked? 1972 Type 3 Variant squareback Reply with quote

Drag each end sideways if you can to get it around the gazebo.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Why was it parked? 1972 Type 3 Variant squareback Reply with quote

Could be worse, had it been parked longer...

andybla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: Why was it parked? 1972 Type 3 Variant squareback Reply with quote

Good anti theft lock Laughing
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Why was it parked? 1972 Type 3 Variant squareback Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Could be worse, had it been parked longer...

Yeah, you gotta watch them small trees, as they like to come up anywhere. Laughing
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Why was it parked? 1972 Type 3 Variant squareback Reply with quote

Well the engine runs after ten years of being parked. Pulled the totally carboned plugs. Nasty for sure. Used the mystery oil for a few days in the cylinders, changed nasty engine oil, the points had no rubbing block Hmm. Was fuel injected at one time, the harness is wacked. Cleaned the plugs swapped points add gas and hose to a small gas can. Cranked with a squirt of starting juice and it runs, smoked needs a new muffler as the Pope blessed this one as it is really holy. Going to get rid of the weber center mount how dumb.
So a muffler will be on the list to purchase.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Why was it parked? 1972 Type 3 Variant squareback Reply with quote

FWIW,
I have gotten a half-dozen cars like that for free.

If you show genuine interest, and the owner sees you really are going to do something with it,
Many will let it go to a good home, knowing it will get some love.

Especially with a difficult extraction at hand..

Looks like a pretty rust-free AZ example from here.

What’s That Noise?!?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: