Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Air Filters for Street Buggies
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Air Filters for Street Buggies Reply with quote

Perhaps this belongs in the performance section, but much of what we need is unique to the fiberglass bodies topping our VWs so I thought I would ask here.

What quality aftermarket air filter is recommended for a buggy with a stock carb? I have height limits so if it won't fit on a Karmann Ghia it likely wont clear the body. I did some searching in this forum and the performance forum and didn't find much to help me sort the good offerings from the junk. My buggy is not going off-road. There are lots of filters available, but I want something quality and a stock Bug oil-bath filter won't fit.
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Filters for Street Buggies Reply with quote

I'm running this low profile SCAT, and using K&N products to oil and clean it. It seems to be performing and holding up well on my street driven buggy.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/svw-40207?seid=...WAQAvD_BwE

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
bigfatloser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Filters for Street Buggies Reply with quote

I prefer a rubber base at the carb, low profile, treat it like a K&N, but affordable enough to replace if it starts to look shoddy after a few washings

http://carcraftstore.com/rubberflangeairfilter-solex.aspx
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Air Filters for Street Buggies Reply with quote

If I can ever get around to it, I'm going to try to fit this on mine. The big elbow interferes with the back of one of my tail lights, so I will need to make some modifications, but without the tail light it fits fine.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Filters for Street Buggies Reply with quote

Might find something from this outfit you can use?
http://store.airflo.com/rubber-hoses---clamps.html

Maybe something similar to what Q-dog is showing: a rubber elbow off the carb, section of tubing and cone (or cylinder) filter on the end.

In the FWIW dept.... Rolling Eyes Decades ago I built a '68 Bug with single port engine. Threw some 87's on it with a Scat C10 (mild) cam, with some home P&P on the heads. I decided to run an air cleaner on the stock carb with a built-in velocity stack in the base, filter was dome shaped on the top. Even with a crappy "monza" exhaust, that engine ran great and pulled like crazy! Maybe there was something to the fuel stand-off claims in the old Hot-Rod VWs book...
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Filters for Street Buggies Reply with quote

That flat Scat filter should easily fit and has a decent area. Does it have a fitting in the bottom for the breather? I'm not sure what I'm seeing in the second picture. Of course, I could create the vent with a drill and some hardware but it is nice when done for you.

I like the idea of using the old factory Bus and Ghia pipe with a good size modern filter on the end. Maybe one will turn up. That would be the route to the largest filter area.

My engine will be a stock 1600 single port, being rebuilt now. I can play with the stuff on top a little. The main things I need to provide for a buggy application are an air filter that will fit under the body an an exhaust system -- hopefully something quiet and that leaves the heat riser working. I'm thinking about a Dansk repop '73 Thing but haven't made up my mind yet.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: