Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel/gas fill plastic trim ring
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bajaleo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Fuel/gas fill plastic trim ring Reply with quote

I'm trying to remove this trim ring for paint, but can't figure out how it comes out. I removed the three screws, and gas cap but that didn't help me.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Leo

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel/gas fill plastic trim ring Reply with quote

Leo,

I remember removing mine for painting and have a tip for you. I can't recall anything tricky on removal but for putting it back together - hoooey.

SO those three screws - take one to a faster store and get 3 stainless screws a half inch longer or so. Installing is three parts - the outer trim, a gasket of rubber I think, and then the rear bit where the screws go into. They all have to line up like a one in a million combinations. Then original screws would not restart as when you press, the rear bit pushes away due to the rubber and you don't want to strip it. So get longer ones and they'll start piece of cake.

Easily one of the top 5 reassembly things I learned on the entire van body.

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
bajaleo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel/gas fill plastic trim ring Reply with quote

Thanks, Doug. I think that once I get it removed, I should be able to put it back together pretty easily.

I just don't want to break it while removing it, because I'm pretty sure it's one of those NLA parts, and it'll be hell trying to find a replacement.

Leo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel/gas fill plastic trim ring Reply with quote

The gas tank ring you are talking about is available from the usual places. I think mine came vanagain. Both the old metal pipe and the newer plastic pipe ones are available. Some times they come out hard and it’s easyer to just replace them. Good luck.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel/gas fill plastic trim ring Reply with quote

You need to twist the ring so it unlocks
from the body IIRC. Take a good
look from under the wheel
well
at it.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel/gas fill plastic trim ring Reply with quote

indeed the ring takes a 1/2in twist to unlock from the body.
I put a piece of plywood behind it screwed into the 3 holes that allowed me to get a better hold on the unit.. could just be a 1x2 piece of wood and catch 2 screw holes..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davideric9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel/gas fill plastic trim ring Reply with quote

YES, its like a bayonet mount, tabs and slots, so it turns to align the tabs to the slots for removal. I'd suggest getting in behind this ring and using some kind of lubrication, even soapy water will help. Last time I did this I cut my hand because of the force I applied before it suddenly turned.
1988 Wolfsburg GL (bought 2012)
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel/gas fill plastic trim ring Reply with quote

Actually Leo, I am telling you this precisely because assembly is a pain without longer screws. Can you do it? Sure. And I hope it goes smoothly. I've been wrenching for a looong time and this was a pain worth avoiding for 42 cents.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Luckyphil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel/gas fill plastic trim ring Reply with quote

loosen the 3 screws then twist the filler tube to the left. Spray with WD40 first comes out easy. Put back the same way but twist to the right.
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel/gas fill plastic trim ring Reply with quote

Fun fact when doing this - a 4" grinder disc replacement tool (that comes with almost all small grinders) fits right into the lower two screw holes on the fuel filler flange and rotates it out of there like nobody's business. Hope that helps someone struggling with this thing.

Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel/gas fill plastic trim ring Reply with quote

Ironically, it's similar in design to the fuel level sender - tabs and twist. I just removed my tank a few days ago for a cleanout, and removing this ring was part of the job.

Dirt gets in-between stuff and makes it quite stiff to turn. Possibly douching the backside with a spray bottle filled with soapy water would help.
kinvolute
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel/gas fill plastic trim ring Reply with quote

So having recently had my van repainted, I thought "Hey I should replace the almost 40 year old plastic fuel filler trim with a new one" I ordered a replacement from GoWesty (https://www.gowesty.com/product/gas-cap/3276/trim-around-gas-cap-80-91-?v=) and the part looks fantastic.

So two hours later with much swearing, grease, multiple tools, and scuffed knuckles the part still won't twist in.

Turns out that new paint has thickness, who knew. I ended using a utility knife to trim a sliver of material from all of the tabs.

After that it installed with a twist and I screwed it to the fuel filler neck with new stainless screws.

Another tip. Swing the fuel filler neck into the wheel arch while installing and you can actually get a hold of the part from front and back to help twist in. Once installed swing the neck back into place and put in the screws.

Hope this helps someone
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel/gas fill plastic trim ring Reply with quote

kinvolute, thanks for the tip. Nice first post.

I too have experienced that issue. Your tip should help others.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel/gas fill plastic trim ring Reply with quote

The technique that I used to reinstall this on our Westy after a repaint required no trimming...just a gentle prying of the tabs first followed by the use of a rubber strap wrench around the backside of it for leverage when turning.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: