Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brighter headlights
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Brighter headlights Reply with quote

hi all,

for a '90 vanagon... instead of going the known route using 80/100W upgrade kit + relays + wiring, I am thinking about this kit

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/high-beam...3910/8027/

on that page they suggest to check clearance on the back of the headlight to see if there enough room for it.

anyone using this kit? any recommendation or advices? good? bad? so so?

thanks in advance

dan
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Brighter headlights Reply with quote

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ If you aren't replacing the headlight itself, I don't think this is going to help all that much. The OG headlights are not all that great, apparently not even when they were new.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Brighter headlights Reply with quote

What PB said.

Perhaps someone will chime in with actual results, but car lights are designed as systems. If you want an LED based system go all in and get one. Adding a LED light to a system designed to use a filament bulb imiht work but in most cases LED lamps don’t mix well with the fresnel lenses designed for specific filament lamps. Some are getting better but the problem with the ‘90 Vanagon lighting will only be cured with new fixtures, the OG lenses and reflectors are probably expired.

This is what mine looked like when I discarded them and replaced the, with e-code units:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There are several threads here recommending that the oem rectangles should be discarded and replaced with either LED integrated headlights or updated e-code headlights.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
RicoS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Brighter headlights Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
. . . There are several threads here recommending that the oem rectangles should be discarded and replaced with either LED integrated headlights or updated e-code headlights.

Best thing I ever did to my '84 Sunroof was to plug in a pair of Hellas.

As good was installing SA Grilles cum lights on my Syncros. If the SA stuff had not been available, I would have hacked a pair of Hellas into submission regardless of how bump ugly it turned out to be.

Richie (near The Burgh)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Brighter headlights Reply with quote

Hi dan,
I believe these ones will fit, I know one van these are on, and the owner sent me this link and told me I should buy some, he said very worth while
https://www.amazon.com/Auxbeam-Headlights-Headligh...&psc=1

619 201 0310
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Brighter headlights Reply with quote

thanks guys...

the van I am working on now is imported from Germany and already has E code headlights. Somehow I feel it's not bright enough with its 55/65W bulbs, we live in a rural country side, so we need lights... good lights...

I'd think that LED bulbs will give different light pattern that why I seek your opinion.. the only option left is the 80/100W upgrade kit..

Mark,
that LED kit on your link seems nice... I may try it before going to the classic route.

dan
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Brighter headlights Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
the only option left is the 80/100W upgrade kit..

As you probably already know, there are many other excellent lighting options if you upgrade to the 7" rounds.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Brighter headlights Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
thanks guys...

the van I am working on now is imported from Germany and already has E code headlights. Somehow I feel it's not bright enough with its 55/65W bulbs, we live in a rural country side, so we need lights... good lights...

I'd think that LED bulbs will give different light pattern that why I seek your opinion.. the only option left is the 80/100W upgrade kit..

Mark,
that LED kit on your link seems nice... I may try it before going to the classic route.

dan

Yours are H4 right?
Try these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QJWUPC6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then change out the bulbs for the high beams to 100w bulbs and tell what you think of them. I already know my opinion.

If they are just not doing it for you the headlight relay and ceramic connector upgrade.
Get the 80/100w or the 130/90w bulbs and be happy.

These LED bulbs just look nice on paper, but the reality is that a incandescent filament radiates out 360°.
The LED bulbs radiate out 180° out perpendicular from the piece of metal they are attached on leaving some blinds spot that originally received light from the incandescent filament. The mounting tab blocks out light getting to the reflector.
So your not getting the same effect of light.
Plus they have to be in the exact optical center the same place the original bulbs were. I haven't measured any to know and do not really care as many other peoples experience trying them has been a disappointment.

If you have e-code H4 lights you have great lights- your just not taking best advantage of them.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Brighter headlights Reply with quote

yes Steve, the headlights are H4 E Code...

well.. my experience with LED is quite so so.. I bought a LED light bar for another van.. it's bright yes... but not focused as the Hella 500FF.. so I went back to the Hella...

saying that, I am afraid by going with the LED for the headlights I may have the same problem and waste my $$...

thanks
mtnride1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Brighter headlights Reply with quote

I put the GW kit on mine with the SA grill, I also have a pair of hellas on the bumper which I am changing to Ridgid lighting LED's since I changed to the SA grill with the GW kit the hellas are useless.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Brighter headlights Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:

well.. my experience with LED is quite so so.. I bought a LED light bar for another van.. it's bright yes... but not focused as the Hella 500FF.. so I went back to the Hella...

saying that, I am afraid by going with the LED for the headlights I may have the same problem and waste my $$...

thanks

So don't waste your money trying to get LED's to work in your headlights.
Try what I said.
100w bulbs for the square high beams do not cost very much.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Brighter headlights Reply with quote

As I posted in another thread recently I purchased these and installed them in my '85:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B376YOE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The headlights went from the worst headlights on any vehicle I've owned, (or that I recall having driven) to unequivocally the best. Markedly better than my stock Mk4 jetta headlights with glass lenses. The brightness and clarity is astounding. They are lower wattage than stock so do not even require relays.

To give a total apples to apples comparison, I have the 7" round e-code H4's with the 80/100's in my '91 and the lighting is not nearly as good on low or high beams. I also obviously needed to add the relays for the higher wattage H4's. Just saying.
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Brighter headlights Reply with quote

Quote:
There are several threads here recommending that the oem rectangles should be discarded and replaced with either LED integrated headlights or updated e-code headlights.

I saw this comment after I saw the ad from Bus Depot for LED conversions for stock rectangular units that had some favorable user comments in their ad info, and require roughly the same effort as to replace a stock bulb. I ordered a set for my '87- looks like a 5 or 10 min install- but haven't done it yet in our cool and rainy weather. Has anyone used this BD swapout- and how do you like the results?
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Brighter headlights Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
the headlights are H4 E Code...

you are more than half way there.. skip the LED bulbs and go straight to relays and 80/100 lamps

?Waldo? wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B376YOE?tag=viglink129040-20
I have the 7" round e-code H4's with the 80/100's in my '91 and the lighting is not nearly as good on low or high beams.

thats a great testimonial for the Jeep, Disco, Hummer LED HeadLight Assemblies.. the price, less than $50 per side, sounds too good to be true.. are there other costs involved? (besides the requirement to have round headlight buckets and grille)

pinetreeporsche wrote:
Bus Depot for LED conversions for stock rectangular units

you mean this $385 product?
http://www.busdepot.com/4f0941067a
I can't tell what they are selling.. complete headlamp assemblies w LEDs and optical lenses.. or just an led to add to your square E code lenses?

let us know how that works out..

are they like this?:
https://www.carid.com/2006-volkswagen-passat-led-l...47903.html

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Brighter headlights Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:

thanks

You don't like the light from the 6052 Hella E Codes?

What bulb is in them?

Mine are amazingly bright! .......... and I'm old and going blind!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=583876&highlight=hella

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SteveVanB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Brighter headlights Reply with quote

I absolutely love my Quadratec led headlights. One of my top favorite "mods" of all time Cool
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Brighter headlights Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
you mean this $385 product?
or just an led to add to your square E code lenses?

No, just the "Vision Kit" as in their most recent sale e-bulletin, which includes 4 bulbs (2 Hella high intensity, 2 high output 80/100), and a relay kit- $75 for all.
Yeah, I'll give my assessment in a week or two- or 3...
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Brighter headlights Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
?Waldo? wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B376YOE?tag=viglink129040-20
I have the 7" round e-code H4's with the 80/100's in my '91 and the lighting is not nearly as good on low or high beams.

thats a great testimonial for the Jeep, Disco, Hummer LED HeadLight Assemblies.. the price, less than $50 per side, sounds too good to be true.. are there other costs involved? (besides the requirement to have round headlight buckets and grille)

There were not any other costs involved. On my '85 it was complete plug and play. Incredibly easy 10 minute install for the bulbs and 1/2 hour adjustment per these specs: https://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html

The adjustment did require that I lower them quite a bit. Definitely don't skip the adjustment procedure. Since then, despite the brightness and excellent visibility, I have driven several times at night in varying traffic and have never had anyone flash their high beams thinking I had my high beams on.

Bear in mind that there are a wide variety of similar style LED headlights with varying specs. I opted for the high output ones without the turn signal halos or DRLs.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Brighter headlights Reply with quote

So, the original poster has rectangular German E codes on his Vanagon. Some of you are posting round lamps.

To the OP. Your German E codes are fantastic lights. If you are disappointed, I suspect you have a voltage drop issue, grounds, etc. You should consider getting the relay kit and some stronger incandescent bulbs. I agree the LED light sources are not likely to provide the result you are looking for in a quality lamp like you have.

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Brighter headlights Reply with quote

pinetreeporsche wrote:
the "Vision Kit"

yes to the Vision Kit w 80/100 bulbs and relays in your E code lenses!

The combo is Vantastic!

No, I have not tried the LED option.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: