Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Compression test results
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: Compression test results Reply with quote

It’s good to hear that you found someone who knows how to do a compression test and the news was good!

Here’s one solution for the firewall adapter, unfortunately it’s out of stock. As mentioned, another solution is to run a fuel hose through the firewall after putting a grommet in the firewall hole.
http://www.van-cafe.com/fuel-line-firewall-adapter

The injector fuel hoses should be replaced to mitigate risk of failure that could lead to a catastrophic fire.

The above is an example of work that needs to be done to make the van reliable but once done will result in a van that you can drive and drive. If you’re paying a mechanic it will take quite a few hours and parts (by the way, it looks like a oks like your mechanic is reasonable). Last Friday I drove my van 950 miles (Seattle to Pinnacles National Park) in 17 hours. Many others have similar stories of solid, reliable service. It just takes a regimen of addressing all of the deferred maintenance and puttting it on a maintenance schedule.

Ask your mechanic for a quote on systems (cooling? suspension? brake lines? etc) he would overhaul before taking the van on a two week camping trip. When you have those costs in mind you can consider your options (keep the Vanagon, buy a reliable car plus a camp trailer or van, etc, etc).

Enjoy!

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Compression test results Reply with quote

Yes, a grommet in that fuel fitting hole or just run the fuel line under the firewall and hang it using zip ties.

That fitting is there only to make engine removal "easier".

Make sure he ran new fuel line to the fuel filter and between the fuel filter and the fuel pump.

Anal me..... I installed new fuel lines between the fuel pump and tank and also the return hoses from the pressure regulator to the fuel tank.

These are often over looked hoses.

Do NOT buy new injectors!

You will not get new ones that are anywhere near the quality of the original ones.
Pull yours out (really, it is easy, even DAIZEE could have done it) and send them out to MrInjector in Idaho.
They will come back to you in a fast few days rebuilt looking and performing like new for very little money.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=630758&highlight=mr+injector

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SteveMc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Compression test results Reply with quote

IOSilver wrote:

I see a metal firewall adaptor at VanCafe but they are currently out of stock.
What are some of the other vendors you mentioned who sell these?
Could you possibly supply a link where I might order one?
Thanks very much!

Foreign Auto & Supply has a beautiful firewall adaptor and they are in stock.
http://www.foreignautosupply.com/parts-accessories/53-fastt-replacement-fuel-spigot/#.Wq0rrlrF2hA
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Compression test results Reply with quote

"vanagonnewandusedparts.com"
This is the guy that makes the fuel line nipple that VAn Cafe and other people sell.
I would buy this over the alloy one Myself, I like everyone else here just run a hose and be done with it.
I personally would not drive a van with old injector hoses very far. This is a an easy job and I think your mechanic is being lazy. Once you have the the injector rail off which is only one 6mm bolt and 2 hose clamps and electrical connector you then take a pointed X acto blade and cut through the hose all the way through the hose and under the bell. Once cut you rip it out with a pair of pliers and slip the new hose on with a little WD40 as a lubricant.
You could buy some used injectors off of Samba and practice doing this your self at home, it is not difficult and they will not leak. Mechanics like big easy jobs they can spend little time on.
I can't believe that they didnt change the rest of the hoses as well, you wouldn't expect to use a Garden hose for 30 plus years , there must be someone in town that is not afraid of a little hard work. If you were closer i'd drag you into my driveway and help you do it. You don't need some Special kit, it's just hose and clamps. All of these kits start life as hose on a spool and clamps from a box.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IOSilver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Compression test results Reply with quote

Thanks for posting links to the firewall adapter! Much appreciated.

I don't think my mechanic is lazy. I think he's busy. That place is jam packed every time I go in there & the phones never stop ringing. They have been extremely patient & generous with their time towards me nonetheless.
& I think they've done an outstanding job so far. I called them just last week inquiring about diagnostics & within a few days I had the van back with all these repairs done. These guys really know what they are doing!
The mechanic encountered some problems during the repairs but took it upon himself to fix/replace things on the fly while still keeping the price within the repair quote he gave me.
When I went to pick up, he led me to the van & showed me everything he had done & explained why, patiently answering any questions I had + all was clearly detailed on the invoice which they also went over with me. Very fast & professional. I couldn't be happier with the service & level of attention.
I don't want to push my good luck by making demands on them because I know I found a good thing with this shop.
I think their prices are reasonable & I DO trust them.
The mechanics listen to my concerns, give me complete answers & offer solutions which is exactly what I need if I'm going to hang onto the Westy.

So, If they want extra money for the adapter install & I can help by obtaining the part I'm ok with that.

As far as the injector hoses.
I watched a video & I don't see why I couldn't do the job myself. Seriously, it looks pretty easy & I also watched how to replace the fuel rails.
But.. If my mechanic has reservations about doing it I'd like to find out why that is exactly before proceeding.
(Do you really think I need to send the injectors off to be rebuilt? Reason I ask is they seem to be working fine right now..)
I think when I take the adapter in for him to install will be a good time to breach the subject again. The last thing I want to do is be a nag.
This is a very busy shop & I need to be respectful of their time/schedule.

All of your help & advice here has been invaluable as well Smile

& yes, I was greeted by Daizee when I 1st joined the forums & we exchanged some fun, friendly banter. She was really helpful & encouraging too.
I think she's a lot more adventuresome than I, travelling all over the place in her van for months at a time. Great stories, great lady!

Thanks so much for all the help & info..
Cyndi

Last edited by IOSilver on Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Compression test results Reply with quote

No you don't necessarily need to have your injectors rebuilt, I suggested that as a way to get someone to do the hoses for you. When you pull the injectors though, do look at the tips to see if they are melted, if so then go ahead and send them in.

You could do the adapter yourself as well. That does take some dexterity to get to the forward side. From the technical point of view it is not difficult as all.
IOSilver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Compression test results Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice,

I went to the site you recommended for the injector rebuild & the prices are really reasonable. If they look melted on the ends I'll definately send them in there & have them done. .

I don't feel comfortable jacking up the van in my garage & crawling underneath to connect the far side of the hose to the adapter which is why I'll probably pay to have that part done.
I could drive two wheels onto the curb in front of my house & get underneath it that way though (I reattached a skid-plate on my Celica this way)

But yeah, looks like just 2 bolts & reattaching hoses to the adapter fittings on either side of the firewall. I found instructions here on how to do the front side from the engine compartment by going between two hoses.
If there's enough room without jacking for me to squeeze underneath I may try it.

Thanks a lot for your help Smile
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Compression test results Reply with quote

Just make sure you like the new perfume you'll be wearing a splash of...... Eau de gasolina.

Laughing

Seriously, I'd plan on an injector rebuild. Very few 30+ year old injectors are spraying fuel efficiently. It is one step rowards better running and better fuel usage.
Old dirty injectors often leak fuel into the combustion chamber leading to hard start issues.
Their spray pattern is often more of a squirt with little atomization.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IOSilver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Compression test results Reply with quote

So, do you recommend I not smoke during this operation? Rolling Eyes

Maybe I ought to leave it to the professionals, lol
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Compression test results Reply with quote

Reading your posts, IO, suggests that you won’t have any problems using this as a camping rig for as long as you choose.

Well done.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Compression test results Reply with quote

I still say to buy a set of used injectors from the classifieds, they range from $10 to $50.00 Each. Buy them and try replacing the lines while you have nothing to lose. No down down time and an easy and fun experiment. Replacing only some of the fuel lines is just looking for the weakest link, I hope you don't find it.
If you did this yourself and then politely showed your mechanic how easy it is to do, he may just thank you.
If you do not want to spend the money for a little experiment, give me your address and I'll send you a spare set I have, along with some replacement hose.
I have nothing to win here. Just trying to keep the breed going and Dispell the myth that those short injector hoses are diffucult to replace and not worth the time.
My offer is solid and I'll even pick up the postgage costs. If not go and but a Eurovan and really cry when you see what it costs to put a Transmission in it, if you can even find a mechanic who wants to work on it.

Nuff said.
Stacy
Samba member # 14980
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Compression test results Reply with quote

That right there is a most generous offer you should accept ^^^^^

An opportunity to try your hand at a simple repair.

If you succeed you are on your way to saving buckets of money on future Van repairs.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
IOSilver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Compression test results Reply with quote

Thanks all!

Re: the plastic firewall adapter replace:
Well, I just slid underneath the Westy & can see the plastic firewall adapter from there with new hose & clamps on either side so that's good! Hoses are new & I just need to replace the firewall adapter. I will order a metal one (thx very much for the link!)
I think I can easily do the far side of the firewall from underneath the van without jacking, but the screw on the front side clamp is facing upwards & the adapter fitting bolts are tough to reach from below so I'd need do that side from above by going between the 2 hoses in the engine compartment.
Still, I think it's possible for me to do & I'm willing to try it to save $115.

Re: Having the injectors rebuilt: I'm considering doing this. I don't actually know how old the injectors are. The mechanic just said "They're old" but I know he didn't take them out & examine them. He also said "It's obvious someone's been in here replacing parts & doing work'. Yes, some parts have been replaced along with tuneups done regularly over the years (I wish I had complete service records & full history of everything that's been replaced & when. I only have records/receipts from '09 onward & a few from before for parts my husband had ordered)

Re: the 4 short injector hoses:
I actually think I can do this too. I'll disconnect the newly replaced long hoses at the rail ends, remove the brackets & pull the rails/injectors completely out so I can carefully dismantle & reassemble on a workbench before reinstalling.
I just need to obtain some replacement hose, injector seals & hose clamps. If I have to order the entire fuel replacement kit from GoWesty to get those, I will.
There's just no letting this go. The hoses from the injectors to the rails look shot! They're old, brittle, shrunken & it's amazing they haven't failed already.

Stacy, Thank you very much for your generous offer to mail me hose & injectors to practice on! Very kind of you to offer to do this for me!
I think instead I'm going to obtain all the replacement parts I need, dive in & just do it all for real. I have video & printed instructions w/pictures & have compared them to what I'm seeing on the Westy & think I understand the process now.
I'm no mechanic by any stretch of the imagination, but I have a good set of tools, am patient & am not afraid to get my hands dirty. Hopefully it's as simple as it looks, lol

Can't tell you how much I appreciate all your invaluable help & advice..
You guys are truly awesome Smile
Cyndi
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Compression test results Reply with quote

IOSilver wrote:

I'm no mechanic by any stretch of the imagination, but I have a good set of tools, am patient & am not afraid to get my hands dirty. Hopefully it's as simple as it looks, lol

Can't tell you how much I appreciate all your invaluable help & advice..
You guys are truly awesome Smile
Cyndi

With the will to try and the attitude to learn you will be amazed at how much you can do on your own. There are plenty of folks here generous with their knowledge.

Everyone starts somewhere, even master mechanics.... Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Compression test results Reply with quote

IOSilver wrote:
Re: the 4 short injector hoses: I'll ... remove the brackets & pull the rails/injectors...'

FWIW: Be VERY careful with the small bolt holding the injector bracket...notorious for being
seized, head snapping off & you end up with another little issue to deal with... Evil or Very Mad

Familiarize yourself with a good penetrating oil (Kroil, Liquid Wrench, PB Blaster) & starting
SEVERAL DAYS ahead of time, apply penetrating oil & use any reasonably sized hammer to
"taptaptaptaptap" many many times on the bolt head. Do this 1 or 2 times daily for several
days to help ensure the bolt will release from the intake runner mount, otherwise you'll have
another project on your hands (ask me how I know)... Rolling Eyes Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Compression test results Reply with quote

Good advice.... ^^^^

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Compression test results Reply with quote

I agree with what the Big D said about the bolt. I just did the injector hoses on my Somewhat rusty van form Wisconsin and I soaked them a couple of times weeks ahead. So far all of the hardware has come off fairly well. If yours is a California van I wouldn't worry too much.
Take note of the orientation of the injectors in their holders before you take them off of the rail. I would not be too worried about the seals unles they are hard and brittle or non existent I would re use them. As far as the hose justy look at the hose that your Mechanic used and walk into a parts store and ask for a foot of that.
As far as the bulkhead fitting goes, it screws to the firewall and once you remove the screws you'll be able to access both sides and get to the clamps.
Send some pictures if you are not sure.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
IOSilver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Compression test results Reply with quote

Ooh, I'm glad you told me about this because I hadn't really considered it.
It IS a California van, but I wouldn't be surprised if the bolts are seized up because who knows how long they've been on there.
Making a trip to Home Depot soon & they carry PB Blaster. I'll pick some up & start working the bolts.. Thanks for the tip!

I'll take a closer look at the injector seals too. It's nice to know I may be able to reuse the ones I have & just buy the hose & clamps locally. Saves $$!
Appreciate the advice!

Thanks Smile
Cyndi
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Compression test results Reply with quote

You do not need any clamps. The injector has a ferrel on it and a bell on the outside that locks the hose in place. Don't over think this, just do it exactly VW did.
Get your self some Nitrile gloves and maybe some safety glasses as there will be a some pressure when you remove the lines. There is a small bleeder valve at the junction that will open the sytem and take the pressure off the lines. You sould also get a catch basin of some sort and the fuel in the lines will drian wjile you're doing this. You could get some golf tees, but you will not lose much fuel as long as you keep the lines above the level of the fuel tank.
Here is a play by play for changing the hoses once removed from the rails. Not how they sit in the holder(a quick pic). Get your X acto knife witgh a sharp pointed blade and cut it all th eway through at the end. spray it with some WD40 or Equiv to help break the staic bond it has. Grab the end with a pair of pliers and twist it and pull and it'll come right out. Cut your new hose to the same length and spray it again with the WD and push it onto the injector. After the 4th one you'll be a pro.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Compression test results Reply with quote

16CV's wrote:
You do not need any clamps. The injector has a ferrel on it and a bell on the outside that locks the hose in place. Don't over think this, just do it exactly VW did.

If you can come up with the same hose that VW used originally then this would be a good enough idea, don't think I would be willing to try it with some generic 30r9 or 30r14 hose.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: