Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Changing rear wheel bearing while on the road
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:40 am    Post subject: Changing rear wheel bearing while on the road Reply with quote

You can’t. Or at least i can’t. Between the axle nut tightened to a bazillion ft lbs and the need to press/drive the bearing out most mortals would be SOL. I do however travel with a kit of the bearings, seals, and circlip.

entered Cholla Campground 100 miles outside of Phoenix to a terrible grinding sound at slow speed. Death sounds. Was hoping it was a CV joint but upon jacking up the rear tire found i had about 1/4” of wobble in the wheel. Dang. Bearing. Reached out to Tony (TopBud), Kamz, and Andrew and the consensus was get to Phoenix and go to Affordable German. I called Bill at Affordable German and explained my situation, traveling from MN. He paused, then said “Be here at 10am”. Wow. I asked if he thought i’d make it a 100 miles with that much play and he said “Oh you’ll make it. But you will likely need a new hub, spindle, and maybe a brake backing plate. I have all of those.”

Arrived an hour early. Phoenix rush hour is crazy busy for us from rural northern MN. Bill put it on the lift and knew exactly what he was doing. Was able to drive the bearing out with an impact hammer after the driveshaft was removed, and saw i escaped wobble damage. The spindle was unmarred, the housing bore tight, and the brake backing plate had minor scraping (the Death Sound). Drew the new bearings in with an old VW Rabbit puller he had from 30 years ago, reversed the axle shaft, and sent us on our way 3 hours later. Took a call while he was working and told them he wouldnt have their car done that day because he was helping some stranded travelers, so if that was your VW or Audi, i apologize! SUPER nice guy, forearm calibrated in ft lbs.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here’s a Google image of Affordable German. Yes, those are mostly Vanagons, VWs, Rialtas, and Audis. Bill runs a repair shop and salvage yard for his own parts supply. I asked Bill if he wanted folks to know about all the Vanagons and he said sure BUT he doesnt want people picking their own parts (bad experiences with folk ruining panels etc to get a $0.50 clip) and he wont pull any part for less than $50 as it just isnt worth his time away from servicing customer vehicles. Highly recommended, just don't expect a pristine shop and Krups machine.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com

Last edited by DanHoug on Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:46 am; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Changing rear wheel bearing while on the road Reply with quote

I love hearing this, Dan — and certainly not surprised Kamz helped. Cool

Heard great things about this place, but surely next time we need them they’ll be 1,400 miles away. Rolling Eyes

Congrats!!!

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Changing rear wheel bearing while on the road Reply with quote

Awesome! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I just had a similar positive experience at a shop on my way to Key West a couple days ago.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Changing rear wheel bearing while on the road Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:

I just had a similar positive experience at a shop on my way to Key West a couple days ago.

Sunshine Auto Garage?

— Colin Chapman
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Changing rear wheel bearing while on the road Reply with quote

I've been updating my spare parts and tools recently, focusing on the rear wheel bearing kit. Given its complexity, it's daunting to consider roadside repairs. However, is it feasible?

Key Points:

-Rear Axle Nut: Approximately torqued to 330ft/lbs. A suggested workaround is welding a 3/4" drive head to a high lift jack, using a 40/44mm socket.

-Dowel Pin: My experience involves heating to remove the original pin.

Would a garage be the only solution, especially if you have the parts and tools?

Or, in a scenario like being remote in Baja, could the pressing of the bearing be the deal-breaker for roadside repair?

Last edited by shagginwagon83 on Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:27 am; edited 2 times in total
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Changing rear wheel bearing while on the road Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
dobryan wrote:

Sunshine Auto Garage?

Complete Auto Care in Staunton, VA. Keith McDonald's shop.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Changing rear wheel bearing while on the road Reply with quote

Thanks Dave.

— Colin Chapman
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Changing rear wheel bearing while on the road Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
I've been updating my spare parts and tools recently, focusing on the rear wheel bearing kit. Given its complexity, it's daunting to consider roadside repairs. However, is it feasible?

Ill let others chime in that have done it roadside. No way could i have done with what i carry.

But here’s what i learned…. I’d been hearing a very slight bearing noise on deceleration for months. I thought it was something in the transaxle and hoped it wouldnt affect the trip. It got louder 2,000 miles into the trip and sorta made me nervous. It was the rear wheel bearing as it went away COMPLETELY after the bearing replacement. Before each major trip i will now jack up each rear wheel and give it a shake. If loose, change the bearings before you head out. Last time i’d checked the play was for the rear brake job a long time ago. Lesson learned. And very grateful for a once again quiet transaxle!

www.thefixitworkshop.com

Last edited by DanHoug on Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Changing rear wheel bearing while on the road Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
E1 wrote:
dobryan wrote:

Sunshine Auto Garage?

Complete Auto Care in Staunton, VA. Keith McDonald's shop.

+1
Excellent shop. Keith Did my suspension stuff the first go around in 2016. Also got my stock a/c blowing cold (compressor blew as I left the dealership first time getting a we owe paperwork). It's right off 81 exit 222ish. Go to Kathy's diner and get some food while you wait.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Changing rear wheel bearing while on the road Reply with quote

Most people never do a repack on these bearing, but doing a partial repack is very easy. When doing brake work remove the hub and pop out the outer wheel seal. Then use a grease gun with a needle to pump grease between the bearings, getting out whatever old grease you can. Once done, wipe off the excess grease between the bearing and where the seal sits to give some airspace for expansion of the grease. Install a new seal and go on with your brake work.

If you ever find a need to replace the inner seal and don't want to deal with removing the bearings from the housing, do a more extensive regrease using the same method.
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing rear wheel bearing while on the road Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
I love hearing this, Dan — and certainly not surprised Kamz helped. Cool

Heard great things about this place, but surely next time we need them they’ll be 1,400 miles away. Rolling Eyes

Man, I live in Phoenix, and Affordable is *still* a long drive! Bill knows these beasts though, and having a Vanagon wrecking yard there comes in very handy Laughing

And I can't believe Doug hit the true rush hour coming down I-17, he didn't use one single curse word! He'd still be cursing if he'd hit when it was BAD. Brick wall
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing rear wheel bearing while on the road Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Most people never do a repack on these bearing, but doing a partial repack is very easy. When doing brake work remove the hub and pop out the outer wheel seal. Then use a grease gun with a needle to pump grease between the bearings, getting out whatever old grease you can. Once done, wipe off the excess grease between the bearing and where the seal sits to give some airspace for expansion of the grease. Install a new seal and go on with your brake work.

If you ever find a need to replace the inner seal and don't want to deal with removing the bearings from the housing, do a more extensive regrease using the same method.

Mine were dry dry dry. A repack would have staved off replacement at 259,000 miles! Axle stub had to be driven out with an air hammer, MN rust and all.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing rear wheel bearing while on the road Reply with quote

Veddy intedesting……

Our rears have Zerk fittings just for this purpose… perhaps I should use them.

— Colin Chapman
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing rear wheel bearing while on the road Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
Veddy intedesting……

Whaaa?! You add them? Picture please?! There was still grease between the collar and the hub but the bearings were pretty dry, outer one being the driest and the failed one. It'd be great to have a zerk to refill them.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing rear wheel bearing while on the road Reply with quote

I have spare bearing and seals.
About a year or so ago I got a spare bearing carrier and axle shaft.
I intend to build up a spare wheel bearing assembly to have on hand.

I too have drilled my existing carriers on my van for Zerks, thanks for the reminder to give them a pump or two!

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:01 am; edited 2 times in total
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing rear wheel bearing while on the road Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
E1 wrote:
Veddy intedesting……

Whaaa?! You add them? Picture please?! There was still grease between the collar and the hub but the bearings were pretty dry, outer one being the driest and the failed one. It'd be great to have a zerk to refill them.

I’m texting the photo to you.

I posted it a minute ago, but if it’s not done right I sure don’t want it seen here.

— Colin Chapman
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing rear wheel bearing while on the road Reply with quote

khughes wrote:

And I can't believe Doug hit the true rush hour coming down I-17, he didn't use one single curse word! He'd still be cursing if he'd hit when it was BAD. Brick wall

I’ll assume you mean me, Dan. The transposition is so common my co-workers gave me company jacket with “Doug” embroidered on it!

We had a meal and left town at around 4pm. Seemed like rush hour as we were parked frequently in 5 lanes of traffic. 45 minutes out of Phoenix my wife says “Oh oh”. Purse forgotten in wood fired pizza place back downtown. She called, it was still there, possibly a function of the 20% tip we’d left and headed back into Phoenix. Why is there just as much traffic going into Phoenix as out? 45 minute trip back in, 45 minute trip back out to where we’d been. No swear words. My wife had been so patient waiting for the unscheduled repair in a crappy old van we didnt have to take i couldn’t be upset. Part of the journey. The pizza was great.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
human compass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing rear wheel bearing while on the road Reply with quote

Bill is amazing, He's done some great work for me. Helps that he drives an SVX vanagon like mine!
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing rear wheel bearing while on the road Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
khughes wrote:

I’ll assume you mean me, Dan. The transposition is so common my co-workers gave me company jacket with “Doug” embroidered on it!

We had a meal and left town at around 4pm. Seemed like rush hour as we were parked frequently in 5 lanes of traffic. 45 minutes out of Phoenix my wife says “Oh oh”. Purse forgotten in wood fired pizza place back downtown. She called, it was still there, possibly a function of the 20% tip we’d left and headed back into Phoenix. Why is there just as much traffic going into Phoenix as out? 45 minute trip back in, 45 minute trip back out to where we’d been. No swear words. My wife had been so patient waiting for the unscheduled repair in a crappy old van we didnt have to take i couldn’t be upset. Part of the journey. The pizza was great.

Yeah...you caught me in a lysdexic moment Laughing

Traffic is miserable on most freeways in both directions. I-17 is probably the worst. I've been driving here for >50 years, each one worse than the last. Pretending to be LA. Sounds like it all worked out well for you though Very Happy
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing rear wheel bearing while on the road Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
....Then use a grease gun with a needle to pump grease between the bearings, getting out whatever old grease you can. ...

I used a different colour grease (green) when I did that. Kept pumping until I saw green. Of note, be careful of the needle if using a thin needle.

Doug: nice find on the shop. Sounds like a "one man" operation? Glad it worked out.

I too pack a rear wheel bearing kit. Now I know!

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: