Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is there a name for the rear shelf engine access hole
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Is there a name for the rear shelf engine access hole Reply with quote

Didn't they start showing up in '72? Anyway, I might be buying a 71 and IIRC it does not have the removable access door on the rear "package shelf".

Does it have a name?

I would prefer to have one for better access to most of the engine. Is there an aftermarket option? Or do I need to find someone with a saw-zall and a bus they are hacking up.

I think the type 3s have them too. Cut me one out and I will weld it in. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Is there a name for the rear shelf engine access hole Reply with quote

They started in 73. Enginge access door or hatch would both be appropriate names. The Vanagon is a larger hole, so if you are gonna cut it out go big...

71 still has the removable rear apron though, and the upright motors didnt really have the need for overhead service

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)

Last edited by aerosurfer on Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a name for the rear shelf engine access hole Reply with quote

the vanagon one requires alot of work, and the metal lids were only in the first air cooled years 80-83.. iirc.

Sloride here in the Bay forum has a decent images for his modified vanagon lid
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=565304
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a name for the rear shelf engine access hole Reply with quote

aerosurfer wrote:
They started in 73. Enginge access door or hatch would both be appropriate names. The Vanagon is a larger hole, so if you are gonna cut it out go big...

71 still has the removable rear apron though, and the upright motors didn't really have the need for overhead service

The bus I am eyeing has no engine. I do have a spare type 4 1.8 I was considering. So I guess that question would need to go out there....

Any issues in installing a type 4 in a 71?

I am not positive, but I think this one does not have the removable apron. I think I remember the PO mentioning some of the differences and future changes.

Last edited by malcolm2 on Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a name for the rear shelf engine access hole Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
the vanagon one requires alot of work, and the metal lids were only in the first air cooled years 80-83.. iirc.

I would bet that the corrugated deck would not match, right?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a name for the rear shelf engine access hole Reply with quote

What month of 71 was it built?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a name for the rear shelf engine access hole Reply with quote

malcolm2 wrote:

I am not positive, but I think this one does not have the removable apron. I think I remember the PO mentioning some of the differences and future changes.

It sounds like he just does not know. All 1971 standard production VW buses have removable aprons. that or his bus is not a 71. Maybe a 72. No top hatch and no removable apron on 72 buses. New model year production for VW started in August of the pervious year. So all VW bus production between August and December of 1971 are in fact 1972 model buses.

Last edited by sodbuster on Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
haggardrob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a name for the rear shelf engine access hole Reply with quote

I just put in a type 3 hatch in my '72 and it fits PERFECTLY between the cargo area supports that run front to back and between firewall and latch for rear hatch. Had to do a little bit of bondo artistry to make the corrigations in the cargo area but its going to be covered by a westy bed cushion 90% of the time...

It seriously fits soo good I dont know why they didnt do it from the factory...they already had the pressings from the type 3....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As it looks at the moment in primer, with previously mentioned "bondo artistry"

Last edited by haggardrob on Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a name for the rear shelf engine access hole Reply with quote

The 73-79 access hatches are a very good fit. I add them to all pre-73 Bus's since the Chinese alternators only last a few miles before dying...I'm not pulling engines when I don't have to. VW should have had them on all Bus's IMO.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: