Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Full flow cover and mustache bar; overkill billet solution.
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:49 am    Post subject: Full flow cover and mustache bar; overkill billet solution. Reply with quote

I was temped to tack this on to another thread, this one, but better to be a new topic.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693502
To borrow a pic from that thread:
I was faced with this prospect......
If you want to do a full flow cover, with the engine hanger, AND be able to reach the your flare fitting so you don't have to take it all apart to connect the hose..... this is what you end up with.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Done right....that can work, but then something else got stuck in my mind. I've noticed the CB filter pump, and some of their other pumps.....rarely ever leak a drop.....but a few traditional full flow covers I have used seeped, even though I lapped them dead flat. WHY? Then it hit me. The pipe thread is RIGHT over the high pressure side of the pump.....how flat is it after you screw the fitting in??? Shocked Tehn I thought, I'll put the fitting in FIRST.....but it has to angle forward so it overhangs.... can't do that either.
So, I had to do it.

Paul.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Full flow cover and mustache bar; overkill billet solution. Reply with quote

Good work
I used one of these on my bus for years
DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Full flow cover and mustache bar; overkill billet solution. Reply with quote

I also made a pump cover to fit my application.
I made mine of AR400 steel and o-ringed it to the pump.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Full flow cover and mustache bar; overkill billet solution. Reply with quote

Modok, you have a patentable and sellable product right there. I'd buy a couple for future use. I love the fact that the NPT fitting is NOT above the gasket surface.

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Full flow cover and mustache bar; overkill billet solution. Reply with quote

Agreed, let me know when that's available for purchase.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Full flow cover and mustache bar; overkill billet solution. Reply with quote

Very cool, Modok! What size passage ways are in the cover?
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Full flow cover and mustache bar; overkill billet solution. Reply with quote

The passages are about .420"

This prototype isn't really suitable for mass production, but I had a "plan B" that might work just as well and be a lot easier to make.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Full flow cover and mustache bar; overkill billet solution. Reply with quote

Lo Cash John wrote:
Modok, you have a patentable and sellable product right there. I'd buy a couple for future use. I love the fact that the NPT fitting is NOT above the gasket surface.

Thanks! No Patents for me tho, anyone is free to copy it.

As AvE says...."make cool stuff, put it on the interwebs"
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Full flow cover and mustache bar; overkill billet solution. Reply with quote

I'm waiting for mark tucker to tell me the 90degree turns are boneheaded plumming. Laughing Which is kinda true.

Plan B is more of a straight path and come out at a 45 degree compound angle, so only ONE 45 degree turn fitting is needed to place the AN flare in the right spot and direction.
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Full flow cover and mustache bar; overkill billet solution. Reply with quote

Put me down for 2 units when you make a batch.

Seriously.

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Full flow cover and mustache bar; overkill billet solution. Reply with quote

Ok, I'll consider that. Seriously.
TheViking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Full flow cover and mustache bar; overkill billet solution. Reply with quote

Paul.H wrote:
Good work

How did this work? I can’t see it seal from the in-signal to continue its path to the journals. Maybe if we machined a little o-ring there it would work. Did it leak?
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Full flow cover and mustache bar; overkill billet solution. Reply with quote

Better than it looks Wink
It uses only 1/4 pipe size, which some feel is too small to run HIGH rpms,....AND you must be careful not to over-tighten the fittings and crack the cover, but other than that......this and the CB filter-pump both perform surprisingly well.....considering the price and appearance.
Paul.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: Full flow cover and mustache bar; overkill billet solution. Reply with quote

Yes the ports are 1/4npt so I had a few steel fittings bored out.The bore size of a 3/8npt to an8 is pretty small without measuring I'd guess at 9 or 10mm
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: Full flow cover and mustache bar; overkill billet solution. Reply with quote

that looks great Modok, I wonder if it could be made to fit with a type 3 fan shroud?
Paul.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: Full flow cover and mustache bar; overkill billet solution. Reply with quote

TheViking wrote:
Paul.H wrote:
Good work

How did this work? I can’t see it seal from the in-signal to continue its path to the journals. Maybe if we machined a little o-ring there it would work. Did it leak?

They have a gasket that fits between the cover with hole for the inlet. I used lots of those CB pumps without leak issues and they are/were the only pump with a keyed shaft
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: