Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AT transmission shifting weirdness
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: AT transmission shifting weirdness Reply with quote

This is why I rebuild my own transmissions now... and they are not even that complicated.

Look at the bright side: you have so much more knowledge invested in the transaxle now, and your ability to troubleshoot and repair in the future is greatly enhanced. You are that much more independent of the opinions and skills of unknown mechanics.

Let us know how it goes. I've been checking in to The Samba all day hoping for your update.

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: AT transmission shifting weirdness Reply with quote

This has been a crazy story to follow.

Just curious about some random its of the story.

How much did you end up having to pay the mechanic that let you stay at the shop for his assistance? Did you have to pay to stay there?

How did you end up handling the rebuilder? Did you have to end up paying him full price?

I wonder if there is a list like roadhaus to add the mechanic who helped you. It would be nice for future travelers.

I really hope I don't have to ever become proficient in transaxle rebuilding like you have.
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: AT transmission shifting weirdness Reply with quote

Ok, sorry for the late update. Yesterday was another long day and I was exhausted by the end of it.

We road tested the van and have good and bad news.

Good news:
The van runs! It performs much better than it did after I got it back from the rebuilder. We drove it about 100 miles yesterday and don't currently have any leaks.

Bad news:
I still have some of the original problems. It shifts early between 2nd and 3rd and it revs/slips a little bit between them. Also this morning when the transmission was cold, I noticed it not wanting to shift from 1st to second until the RPMs were really high. I had that problem before, in fact it was the first symptom I started having, though it's not as bad as it was before. Also, it seems like the motor is consuming a lot of fuel, which started once the transmission problems began, but I need to fill the tank again and test.

So, at this point I can't think of anything but the torque converter, unless there are other opinions? The inside of the automatic section was completely torn apart, cleaned, rebuilt. New gaskets, seals, discs, steels, pistons, etc. The converter is less than a year old and was cleaned as well, but it's the only thing that hasn't been taken apart.

I have to do some more research to see if it's possible to get a rebuilt unit down here. So far I've found that I can get my current unit rebuilt in Santiago, but it takes a week and I couldn't stay in the mechanic's driveway here in Osorno any longer. Maybe I could have one shipped from the states and forfeit the core deposit.

The solution may be to drive up to Santiago if I can find an expert there and can get a converter. Before I was too scared to drive that far without knowing what was wrong inside the transmission. Now that I know the internals are in good shape, and it's highway cruising the whole way, I am not as worried to drive the 2-3 days to Santiago. That's the opposite way of where I want to go, but oh well.

I'm open to any opinions/recommendations, so have at it.
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: AT transmission shifting weirdness Reply with quote

kourt wrote:
Look at the bright side: you have so much more knowledge invested in the transaxle now, and your ability to troubleshoot and repair in the future is greatly enhanced. You are that much more independent of the opinions and skills of unknown mechanics.

That's very true. I actually enjoyed rebuilding it and learning the internals and now I'm much more proficient and knowledgeable with this transmission. Next time I won't be afraid to do it myself!

Quote:
Just curious about some random its of the story.

How much did you end up having to pay the mechanic that let you stay at the shop for his assistance? Did you have to pay to stay there?

How did you end up handling the rebuilder? Did you have to end up paying him full price?

I wonder if there is a list like roadhaus to add the mechanic who helped you. It would be nice for future travelers.

I ended up paying the mechanic about $800 for everything, but he didn't charge us to stay at his place or anything, even though we were in his driveway for 2.5 weeks. He originally quoted me $400 for removing/reinstalling the transmission. Since we did it twice and it was no fault of his, he charged double. But he didn't charge for the dismantling/cleaning/rebuilding of the transmission that we did after the first guy screwed up. Granted, I did a lot of that work too, but it was a team effort. He also is a one client at a time guy and doesn't have much space, so this whole time I've been his only client.

The rebuilder is still a sore spot for me. I paid him in full when I got the transmission back. We went to discuss the problems with him after we discovered what was wrong but he kind of played dumb. I do want to try to get my money back, though I've had my hands too full with just trying to get this thing back on the road to worry about it yet.

As far as the roadhaus thing, there's an app called iOverlander that a lot of travelers down here use and it has a way to add mechanics with reviews/etc. I added the good guy on there so hopefully he'll get some more business!
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: AT transmission shifting weirdness Reply with quote

the 2nd to 3rd could be that the governor flyweights are hung out/open. and it jumping into the next gear because it 'thinks' you are going faster than you are yet.

the delayed shift from 1st to 2nd could be an issue with the adjustment of the 'manual valve' ie. the throttle relay lever that the throttle cable connects to and effects while you use the throttle.

I can't remember if you had ever done any trouble shooting on these 2 items.
both of them have effects on transition of the transmission stages.

blackglasspirate wrote:
Bad news:
I still have some of the original problems. It shifts early between 2nd and 3rd and it revs/slips a little bit between them. Also this morning when the transmission was cold, I noticed it not wanting to shift from 1st to second until the RPMs were really high.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: AT transmission shifting weirdness Reply with quote

I don't think the TC would cause problems with the shift timing, it would be more apt to cause high engine speeds under load or problems starting from a stop.

When we had a clogged governor when our '91 was new, it was causing one of the shifts to be late, (sorry don't remember which one) and I seem to remember some slippage, but an no longer sure. The governor is easy to remove with the tranny in place and all you would need to do is blow the ports out to clean it. Not sure how much air pressure is reasonable, but it shouldn't take much. My dealings were with the later "small" governor and not the early "fat" governor. The later governor is just two valves, one that closes with rpm and one that opens, and with it in hand it is pretty easy to see if everything is operating.

Getting the throttle rod adjusted correctly is important to a good operating transmission. A minor difference in the length of the rod makes a big difference in performance.
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: AT transmission shifting weirdness Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips.

I did take the governor out and clean it with carb cleaner. Three times in fact, since I started having problems back in Argentina. From what I can tell it's functioning fine and nothing seemed to be stuck or clogged. That's not to say I'm not missing something. For the record, it's the later "small" governor as well.

The throttle relay lever that you speak of, do you mean that's connected to the rod that goes to the throttle body? If so, I've adjusted the linkage on the TB side, but never really messed with it on the transmission side. I could check that again. That particular issue in first only happened this morning when the engine was cold. Afterwards all subsequent 1st-2nd shifts were fine. It did the same thing, though more pronounced at the beginning of this saga. After the first shift, everything would be fine.

Currently talking to some contacts in Santiago that might be able to help. We'll see how that goes...
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: AT transmission shifting weirdness Reply with quote

how did the 2nd gear apply piston look?
you replaced those seals iirc

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=587711
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: AT transmission shifting weirdness Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
how did the 2nd gear apply piston look?
you replaced those seals iirc

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=587711

The piston for the brake band? From a visual check with my untrained eye it looked fine. It's one of the later ones without the circlip. I did replace the seals, though the ones that were on there didn't look too bad in the first place. I did the compressed air test and verified the piston was actuating.

Not really sure what else to look for as far as that part goes.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: AT transmission shifting weirdness Reply with quote

its ok we're just sounding off on things..

regarding the 'manual valve' what I call the throttle relay lever
there is adjustment on the front cable under the pedals and at the rear rod at the throttle body.
these 2 adjustments are to orient the position of the relay lever and that impacts the shifting points and firmness. this can cause a delay/early shift as well as a firm/soft shift.

like I said we're just sounding off on things here.. soo many things for such a simple AT transaxel huh.
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: AT transmission shifting weirdness Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
like I said we're just sounding off on things here.. soo many things for such a simple AT transaxel huh.

You're telling me. I had adjusted under the pedal and at the throttle body last year sometime but not since the problem started. I can run through the adjustment again to be sure. Right now I get WOT and kickdown, so it's at least good enough for that.
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: AT transmission shifting weirdness Reply with quote

Was the valvebody ever dissected? If not, that's where I would start.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: AT transmission shifting weirdness Reply with quote

also one last thing since we're on AT education mode..
and some others may need to know or learn this
you know to NEVER coast downhill in neutral with an Automatic vanagon.
that it'll cause a terminal failure of the governor from lack of lubrication. and you'd end with a no go and possibly seized shaft at the bottom of the hill/grade/mtn

lastly do you have a Paypal account. I know I'd be fine with tossing you a few $$ for all this trouble and your patience not only in your problem but with us.
I know you didn't ask, and may be too proud to accept, but I've helped others in less trouble and distress.. I'd be happy to throw you and the Mrs/Ms a meal.. and the mechanic a 6pack.. PM me if you like.
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: AT transmission shifting weirdness Reply with quote

Yeah, I took every last piece apart and cleaned/inspected it. Nothing wrong that I could find, though there was debris from when the rebuilder put the circlip and retaining key in wrong.
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: AT transmission shifting weirdness Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
also one last thing since we're on AT education mode..
and some others may need to know or learn this
you know to NEVER coast downhill in neutral with an Automatic vanagon.
that it'll cause a terminal failure of the governor from lack of lubrication. and you'd end with a no go and possibly seized shaft at the bottom of the hill/grade/mtn

lastly do you have a Paypal account. I know I'd be fine with tossing you a few $$ for all this trouble and your patience not only in your problem but with us.
I know you didn't ask, and may be too proud to accept, but I've helped others in less trouble and distress.. I'd be happy to throw you and the Mrs/Ms a meal.. and the mechanic a 6pack.. PM me if you like.

Wow, that's incredibly generous of you. Thanks for the offer - you may see a PM from me later.

I actually didn't know that about the governor and I have coasted in Neutral before, though generally not. Any way to check that I haven't damaged the governor by doing this?
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: AT transmission shifting weirdness Reply with quote

I'd have to do some searching. but in general if it's working and not seized
it's working..

just be warned.. and if more curious there are some

ok some searching later, here's a thread from another fella..
while some may say/feel it's ok.. i do NOT risk it for the sake of minor fuel savings.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511275
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: AT transmission shifting weirdness Reply with quote

Ok, good to know. I'll no longer coast in neutral!

Mine definitely isn't seized or broken so at least I have that.

Still trying to contact some places in Santiago to see if they can help. My patience and sanity is starting to wear thin. I'd be tempted to somehow freight a rebuilt unit from GTA but that would be incredibly expensive in multiple ways (shipping, import taxes, core deposit, etc.)

The good news is that it's currently driveable and we are no longer stuck sleeping/cooking jacked up on ramps without being able to pop the top. There were a few days I think my wife was about to half a meltdown, and I probably wasn't far behind! Will keep you updated with any progress.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: AT transmission shifting weirdness Reply with quote

Wishing you good vibes on your drive. Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: AT transmission shifting weirdness Reply with quote

this is why/where I suggest as the last part of test driving a major headache of a repair involves a nice dinner and non car talk with the special person in your life who hasn't either killed you, left you or both.
same for the Mechanic..

blackglasspirate wrote:
There were a few days I think my wife was about to half a meltdown, and I probably wasn't far behind! Will keep you updated with any progress.

MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: AT transmission shifting weirdness Reply with quote

Stretch diagnosis. How did the governor drive gear look?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: