Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'95 Eurovan Camper Transmission
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kmiles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: '95 Eurovan Camper Transmission Reply with quote

Help!! I JUST purchased a 95 eurovan that seems to have some transmission problems:

Check engine light comes on when starting--then turns off
Hard shifting between 1 and 2 unless I REALLY feather the gas
Hard down shifting
Stalls out sometimes between R and 1 (on hills)

I called a local VW mechanic that specializes in these vehicles, and he told me that they are no longer making transmission parts for eurovans older than 1997, so even a full rebuild is not possible. ahhh!! I just purchased the van--and now I'm told if the transmission goes--it's a goner?!

If anyone has any info they can share I would much appreciate it--thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: '95 Eurovan Camper Transmission Reply with quote

You can try German transaxle in bend OR to see if they rebuild those.

To me, the easy and long lasting fix would be to swap in a manual transmission from a 93. You would need the transmission, shifter, shifter linkage, and one axle at minimum. Also nice to have the ecu and cluster. Find a whole van if possible.

There’s a guy in your area who has completed a swap himself recently. He’s on the Eurovan owners unite Facebook group.
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93

Last edited by Joshwa on Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VAEV1993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: '95 Eurovan Camper Transmission Reply with quote

Hmm. I'm hoping that some other folks are able to chime in who have gone through this, but I'll comment some...

Joshwa is right that the manual swap option would be a solid move. I think I'd like to pursue that someday myself...

Still, I imagine you would have other options like starting with just the valve body rebuild/replace that others have had good results with. There are used transmissions out there you could hunt for, and you might have a transmission repair shop take a look at rebuilding what you have first before really saying its a goner...As Joshwa said, German Transaxle would be a great start for you, though it appears they no longer sell ready to go rebuilt ATs for these years...

There are a fair amount of threads on here discussing this topic, so dig around there too and see what helps you.

Best of luck to you. Keep us posted on what you are able to pull together...if rebuild parts are going to be scarce for these moving forward, I'll need to start getting my own plan together too...hmm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wildenbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: '95 Eurovan Camper Transmission Reply with quote

If it's a '95, this is the one you would want:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2128412
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: '95 Eurovan Camper Transmission Reply with quote

give these people in Georgia a call.

https://europeantransmissionscom.x-shops.com/shop/product.php?productid=16352

might still be willing to re-manufacture EV 01P Automatics.
[/quote]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kmiles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: '95 Eurovan Camper Transmission Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info!

Called German Transaxle yesterday, and they no longer rebuild them for '95's--
but it looks like GoWesty sells these at:
http://www.gowesty.com/product/automatic/3903/automatic-transaxle-for-eurovan?v=

However, are new control units also no longer available for '95 models??

As this will be a problem for all '95 Eurovan owners--I'll definitely keep you posted if/how this ends up getting resolved!
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: '95 Eurovan Camper Transmission Reply with quote

kmiles wrote:
Help!! I JUST purchased a 95 eurovan that seems to have some transmission problems:

Check engine light comes on when starting--then turns off
Hard shifting between 1 and 2 unless I REALLY feather the gas
Hard down shifting
Stalls out sometimes between R and 1 (on hills)

I called a local VW mechanic that specializes in these vehicles, and he told me that they are no longer making transmission parts for eurovans older than 1997, so even a full rebuild is not possible. ahhh!! I just purchased the van--and now I'm told if the transmission goes--it's a goner?!

I think you just found why the last person sold it.

If you have money get out and into one with a good PPI

If you don’t, just get out.
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: '95 Eurovan Camper Transmission Reply with quote

I just bought a '97, the full camper Winnebego version, with a somewhat sloppy/balky tranny. Hasn't anyone found a work-around? Didn't VW put this engine (mine's the 6 cyl) into more than this one vehicle in their late-90s catalog? Hell, some Vanagon owners put a Subie tranny in with their Subie motor swap- does no one have an EV that's done any kind of tranny swap??
JMB3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: '95 Eurovan Camper Transmission Reply with quote

pinetreeporsche wrote:
I just bought a '97, the full camper Winnebego version, with a somewhat sloppy/balky tranny. Hasn't anyone found a work-around? Didn't VW put this engine (mine's the 6 cyl) into more than this one vehicle in their late-90s catalog? Hell, some Vanagon owners put a Subie tranny in with their Subie motor swap- does no one have an EV that's done any kind of tranny swap??

I also have a '97 EVC, which I bought new. You might have started a new thread rather than jump into this one for earlier models. The first things I would do if I were you are: to perform a transmission fluid service (doing it myself so I knew what was done), replacing the filter and the fluid in the pan and cleaning the magnet in the pan and making sure it was filled to the proper level with genuine VW fluid. I would also inspect the engine mounts, in particular the pendulum mount, and replace if necessary. Several owners have observed smoother shifting after replacing the pendulum mount. I certainly did.
http://vweurovan.wikia.com/wiki/Engine/Transmission_mounts#Pendulum_Mount
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: '95 Eurovan Camper Transmission Reply with quote

kmiles wrote:
Help!! I JUST purchased a 95 eurovan that seems to have some transmission problems: [etc] ...

I just bought a '97 in the West, drove it back here--Washington DC western suburbs-- and turned to another owner nearby who have used a local shop with satisfaction. They offer a guarantee-- I think 18,000 miles and have reasonable prices. -Called Herndon Reston Transmission, in Herndon. They apparently simply consider our tranny to be just a slight variation of one of those used in other VW models of the 90s-- for them, no big deal.
My tranny is functional, if not perfect, so I'm putting off more than a cleaning/adjustment which I hope will keep it in high gear more of the time, and thereby boost the gas mileage, which on my drive eastward, at nearly 75 mph, was hardly 16 mpg.
TChilds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: '95 Eurovan Camper Transmission Reply with quote

Bulliwerks in AZ seems to sell manual transmission swaps on ebay. I contacted them once and their price was well under $3000 for the whole kit installed at their shop.

No experience with them personally, but their website claims VW Mechanic from Germany since 1984 or something like that.

I also have a whole perfectly shifting trans and computer out of my 1993 EV that got stolen and wrecked the first turn from the scene of the crime if you are interested. The trans has 230k miles on it, the computer has 330k miles on it. The trans was single owner for 22 years in CA, aircraft mechanic. His first trans got replaced under warranty due to faulty manufacturing (the difference in miles between the computer and trans with it) It was a great trans and 100% clean van before it got stolen... sigh.

It is just sitting in my garage with motor still attached, have the computer for that motor out of the same van too. I'm in Indiana. Its been sitting for one year. My replacement van (after stolen van) is shifting fine and will be replaced with a 5 speed when the day comes anyway so I don't really need this backup trans at all.
wildenbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: '95 Eurovan Camper Transmission Reply with quote

Bulliwerks is not a favorite on another forum: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?9022369-Beware-bulliparts-from-Arizona
TChilds wrote:
Bulliwerks in AZ seems to sell manual transmission swaps on ebay. I contacted them once and their price was well under $3000 for the whole kit installed at their shop.

No experience with them personally, but their website claims VW Mechanic from Germany since 1984 or something like that.

pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: '95 Eurovan Camper Transmission Reply with quote

A nearby owner of another '97 just gave me the name of a shop in the W suburbs of DC who offers a guarantee (I think it's 18 K miles) on their rebuilds. It's called Herndon Reston Transmission.-- in case anyone in the mid-Atlantic needs a shop.
TChilds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: '95 Eurovan Camper Transmission Reply with quote

wildenbeast wrote:
Bulliwerks is not a favorite on another forum: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?9022369-Beware-bulliparts-from-Arizona
TChilds wrote:

The German auto shop here that works on EV's is whacky too. Sounds like this place shouldn't be trusted though. So many EV mechanics out there are just making promises they can't keep.
Chatty Eurovan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: '95 Eurovan Camper Transmission Reply with quote

Purchased a 95' EVC in September 19', and 1st gear began slipping a couple months ago - it's only getting worse. It drives smooth once it's in the higher gears.

Any mechanic recommendations in the Dallas Ft-Worth area?
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: '95 Eurovan Camper Transmission Reply with quote

Well good luck w your tranny. A stick was offered in Europe and I saw a 03 w a conversion in Wolfgart Show in BTV A few years ago.. It was really a sweet ride. My 93 was converted a few years ago. In my opinion that's the only way to go... Good luck Bill VT & PR. PS SOME big company ( was trying to put a kit together. But I can't remenber who..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: