Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

One down, 2 to go
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: One down, 2 to go Reply with quote

So I have 3 simple issues with my '78 Super that I've been meaning to address. Today, the front shifter bushing got replaced. Ever since I changed shifter's, it's been an issue getting into 1st. For once, a project went exactly as planned. Rear coupling undone, and my wife bought me some new tools for xmas and I have these angled needle nose pliers. No rust to speak of on the shifter rod, bushing was gone, so it slid forward with no problems. New bushing installed without dropping, used some dish soap and grease to get things going back in. 1st project I have done on this car that it did not fight me every step of the way.

Next one to address is the gas gauge. Then the odometer. My gas gauge will read a max of 1/2 full, so I get nervous about how much fuel is in it. Although it never gets that low, I would like it more accurate. I have had the tank out before and the sending unit. Do I have to pull the tank again to address the sending unit, or can I work with it in the car?

The speedometer works, need to pull the unit and send it off to someone to fix the odometer issue. I met a guy at a show that is here in So Cal that repairs them. I have his card somewhere. Think he said it was $70 to repair one.

Sure do enjoy the fuel injection!
Kevin

Click to view image
cletus_zuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: One down, 2 to go Reply with quote

As far as gas gauge, go here
http://www.midsouthvw.com/TechTips/tech_tip_FuelGauge.htm
or get used to how yours reads, mine goes to 3/4 when full, when in the middle of "R", it will hold 8 gallons.

I guess 70 is fair, to either super glue the plastic gear on the odometer shaft, or replace with a salvaged brass gear from an earlier model.
there are speedometer rebuild threads on here if you want to tackle that job yourself.
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: One down, 2 to go Reply with quote

Thanks Cletus. Posting on here is always fun to hear from other people and experiences. I would like to get my gas gauge a little more accurate, so I appreciate the link.

Did a quick search on the odometer and found this:
http://m.odometergears.com/howto/VW_Super_Beetle_Odometer_Gears_Replacement.pdf

Looks like it's not a big deal either.
Thanks
Kevin

Click to view image
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: One down, 2 to go Reply with quote

Drove it today. It was awesome, shifting into all gears normally. They don't work very well with that front bushing completely gone.

Heat- that is added to the list. Will get all the hoses hooked up tomorrow. Been a little chilly here in So Cal, and having no top, heat would be nice. Never ran the heater before.
Kevin

Click to view image
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: One down, 2 to go Reply with quote

I’ve found that a gauge that only reads 1/2 is a sender rheostat that is burnt out on the latter half. So, you need to pull the tank out at least enough to get the sender out.

Since you need some speedometer work, it’s a good time to replace the fuel-gauge vibrator. There’s a reason why your sender rheostat burnt out at the halfway mark. A bad vibrator will do this.

Get the new-style vibrator (black plastic with a metal backing).

Tim

Richard O'Brien
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: One down, 2 to go Reply with quote

Looks like a parts list is growing. I hot all the hoses hooked up correctly for the heat, now I just need to figure out the levers and switches. The fan is blowing great. Now to get some heat blowing thru. The drivers side cable is broken off at the end, so I need a new one of those. I did stick something in the flap to keep it open and let hot air blow thru. I just need to figure out the heat blending functions on this car.

So I need a heater cable, the gas gauge sender and the fuel-gauge vibrator.
Pretty short list for today.

Kevin

Click to view image
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: One down, 2 to go Reply with quote

Hey Kevin, Been a little while! Thought I would text this to you and then thought this may save someone else from harm. Good food for thought regarding 50 year old exhaust cladded steel pipes! Most part have a service life.

Before relying on that heat, be sure to test the heated air for any carbon monoxide. Those old heater boxes may have rusted through and may allow exhaust gas into the cabin. Be sure to test. Get the car running, close all the windows and place a CO detector in the cabin. If it goes off, take those boxes out and check them out. Not certain that is a good test for this but it works for the interior of many homes. Maybe someone knows an actual test that can be performed?

However, you can disregard this if the top is not installed! Just remembered that!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: One down, 2 to go Reply with quote

KKiley wrote:
I just need to figure out the heat blending functions on this car.
Kevin

Found these diagrams on Jbugs once, they seem to explain it fairly well. I'm a visual learner, so they helped me out.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: One down, 2 to go Reply with quote

Jimbo,
Thanks for chiming in. The heat system is solid, other than the outside cover behind the passenger wheel was worn thru from rocks being thrown from the rear tire. I was meaning to JB Weld a patch in place, it's not a big issue. I used some furnace tape instead, just to seal everything up. Still no top on it, but the gases are all going out the back, where they should.

Almostheaven, thanks for the pictorial, I am better with images too. Right lever up, will see if I get some heat flowing inside the car. I drove it around the block last night a cpl of times, but didn't feel anything. But I didn't have right lever up either, lol

Kevin

Click to view image
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: One down, 2 to go Reply with quote

Interesting tip in this video. One of the heater cable ends is snapped off. He mentions a cable extender, or another option, which i will try.
My cable is fine, it just broke the end from taking it off and on so much. What I can do is bend a hook in the end of a cable and hook it around a cotter pin. That will work until I can replace the cable. Great idea.

Link

Click to view image
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: One down, 2 to go Reply with quote

KKiley wrote:

Almostheaven, thanks for the pictorial, I am better with images too. Right lever up, will see if I get some heat flowing inside the car. I drove it around the block last night a cpl of times, but didn't feel anything. But I didn't have right lever up either, lol
Kevin

Also make sure that your levers are properly adjusted too. The nuts need to be tightened enough to allow you to move the lever, but tight enough to resist the flap on the heat exchangers from pulling the lever back down some. (This will ensure that all the toasty air is being pushed into the cabin by keeping the vent flap on the heat exchangers closed)

Check this thread out about adjusting and fixing up the levers and nylon/friction washers on the levers
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=689918&highlight=nylon+washer

Another minor thing I did that made a big difference is I made a duct tape "restrictor plate" on the outer corner windshield vent (sorry, no pics).
In the trunk, took the tube coming up from the heater channel off the outer vent. Then took a piece of duct tape (approx. 5-6 inches long) and cut an "X" in the center and folded the 'corners up to then create a 1/2"-3/4" hole. Take that tape and center the hole on the metal stub of the vent (where the tube slides on) and fold the tape up and stick it onto the vent stub. Reconnect your vent hose.

By doing that I effectively restricted the airflow through that tube and vent and forced it to flow more into the vent which is infront of the seat (the one with the 'flipper' on it to switch between defrost and vent towards you) and the center defrost vent. I did this on both sides.

This defrosts the window better now, in my opinion. (At least defrosts better in my line of sight)

It also makes Ms. AlmostHeaven happier too with more warmth for her on those chilly road trips.
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: One down, 2 to go Reply with quote

Got the Bentley out, as I am not having much luck getting heat into the cabin. I have all of my hoses hooked up, the lever on the right side of the emergency brake opens the control valves by the heater boxes. My fan switch works and I can change the distribution from the dash to the defrost ok.

But I don't have any heat coming out. What does the lever on the drivers side control? I see cables attached to the floor vents down by my feet. They are closed, so nothing is coming out, and I can't find what opens them. And what does the other knob on the dash do? I think it turns the dash on and off completely. Not doing anything at this time.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

Click to view image
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: One down, 2 to go Reply with quote

On the heater channel vents, I see there is a cable hooked to them on each side. They are closed. What is that cable hooked to to make them open?
Nothing I pull or turn makes that happen.
Thanks
Kevin

Click to view image
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: One down, 2 to go Reply with quote

In my '74 Super, the front football cables are operated by the right lever. They may original. I've never seen them sold anywhere...maybe I haven't looked....

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: One down, 2 to go Reply with quote

There's a picture of the cable about 3\4 of the way down page 5 of this thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=120

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: One down, 2 to go Reply with quote

Thanks Vanram. I do see the cable and it is not doing anything at the vents. So it must be broken. My next question is, if those vents are closed, why am I not getting heat from the dash. NADA, nothing warm, just blowing cold air.
I am going to manually open them and see if it gets warm, then diagnose from there. And see if that cable is available.

Kevin

Click to view image
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: One down, 2 to go Reply with quote

Take the footwell vents out and see if any heat comes out, you may have an issue further back in the rocker tube, like maybe rodent nests or PO spray foam suprise. If you are getting good flow out of the footwells when the covers are removed maybe the hoses are off down in the hell holes? You'll need a flexible inspection camera to see that.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: One down, 2 to go Reply with quote

Thanks busdaddy. I have a couple of days off this week, so will pull them out and see what happens. I suspect blockage also, just need to figure out where. If nothing happens when I pull the vents, we will have it narrowed down pretty good.

Kevin

Click to view image
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: One down, 2 to go Reply with quote

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:

Also make sure that your levers are properly adjusted too. The nuts need to be tightened enough to allow you to move the lever, but tight enough to resist the flap on the heat exchangers from pulling the lever back down some. (This will ensure that all the toasty air is being pushed into the cabin by keeping the vent flap on the heat exchangers closed)

Check this thread out about adjusting and fixing up the levers and nylon/friction washers on the levers
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=689918&highlight=nylon+washer

Another minor thing I did that made a big difference is I made a duct tape "restrictor plate" on the outer corner windshield vent (sorry, no pics).
In the trunk, took the tube coming up from the heater channel off the outer vent. Then took a piece of duct tape (approx. 5-6 inches long) and cut an "X" in the center and folded the 'corners up to then create a 1/2"-3/4" hole. Take that tape and center the hole on the metal stub of the vent (where the tube slides on) and fold the tape up and stick it onto the vent stub. Reconnect your vent hose.

By doing that I effectively restricted the airflow through that tube and vent and forced it to flow more into the vent which is infront of the seat (the one with the 'flipper' on it to switch between defrost and vent towards you) and the center defrost vent. I did this on both sides.

This defrosts the window better now, in my opinion. (At least defrosts better in my line of sight)

It also makes Ms. AlmostHeaven happier too with more warmth for her on those chilly road trips.

hey thanks tons for posting this! I am having this exact issue in my car at the moment- if I pull the lever all the way up (completely open) then it stays in place but BOY does it get hot in the cabin fast especially roasting my feet. Any time I try to adjust it about halfway open it just drops right back down to closed position.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: