Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Planning, managing, and recording upgrades - Worksheet/Excel
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Planning, managing, and recording upgrades - Worksheet/Excel Reply with quote

Admittedly, I use the Notes App on my iPhone a LOT!

It is my sixth decade memory aid.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bsrad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Planning, managing, and recording upgrades - Worksheet/Excel Reply with quote

Evernote seems to be perfect fit for what I need. It can update from my iphone to my ipad as well as to my laptop or work computer. So if I think of something at work that needs to be done, or find something online I can add it to my Evernote and it will be on my phone or ipad right away.

You can create different folders and different lists. You can also upload PDF manuals, pictures and/or diagrams all which can be viewed offline if needed. i.e. Your Bentely?? My Propex heater stopped working high up in the Colorado Rockies last Fall and I had to figure out what 3 blinking lights meant. Popped open my Evernote on my phone and thumbed through the manual. This might be my favorite function.

I also share certain lists with my wife (and certain others I don't Wink Wink ) so for say like camping prep we both can add and check things off and its always current.

-----------

1987 Syncro Westy
1967 OG Single Cab
1976 FJ40
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Planning, managing, and recording upgrades - Worksheet/Excel Reply with quote

I'm admittedly not a nut about organizing stuff - I won't even tell you all about the "great checkbook debacle of 2012". But I feel like any upgrade to my van will either be important enough to remember or isn't anything that I need to be reminded of.

I do see the use of making a shopping list of parts needed to complete a project but only a very basic thing - exactly like the one I take to the grocery store. And that can be on any piece of scrap paper.

A friend of mine recently said, "you're not THAT much older than me but the difference in how we use technology is pretty staggering". Laughing Part of it is that I'm surrounded with spreadsheets, databases, computer models, etc. for much of my work and I prefer not to look at screens on my own time.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Planning, managing, and recording upgrades - Worksheet/Excel Reply with quote

I'm starting to work on mine. This is where I am at so far. I based mine design off Ntaramorris's excel sheet. I have all my gowesty orders imported, some van-cafe, but I haven't hit my odd ball orders like Vanagon, bus depot, all 3 of my batteries, orielys, and some installation labor prices. Anyway, I'm working on it, and ill post a template once I get it finished.

oh and here is my suspension plan, except I'm thinking about skipping Burleys Upper control arm.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Planning, managing, and recording upgrades - Worksheet/Excel Reply with quote

Wow Im blown away. I must be seriously challenged as I have no lists. Im definitely no excel wizard, probably don't even qualify as an excel novice. Getting the damn columns to sum at the bottom is enough of a challenge.

Thats why Im married (added to the need for a woman to balance my energy). Wife has a bullet journal that rivals the best of them. (maybe she will start a bus page) Without her I would be sitting here in dirty pajamas because we are out of Tide.
Sorry. I do use notes on the phone for my work projects but nothing else.

You people are making me feel bad. Evil or Very Mad

Forget yous

I'm Good Enough, I'm Smart Enough, and Doggone It, People Like Me

yup thats right All better. Off to the next post. lol.

Have a good and well organized weekend gents. While you organize the sheets Ill be down by the river. Freakin freely baby!

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Planning, managing, and recording upgrades - Worksheet/Excel Reply with quote

Data is powerful man. Hence why Facebook is free.

But a lot of people how much I have invested in my van? Now I know some general numbers. I have started working on my electrical system 'tab' and I have almost 2k invested in that at this point. I figured I had like 1k.
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Planning, managing, and recording upgrades - Worksheet/Excel Reply with quote

I keep a running spreadsheet showing date, mileage and what was done to our rig since the original owners bought it new. Thank god they were paperwork packrats for they kept all receipts of what was done.

Just in case I forget to update the spreadsheet, I have a small notebook in the glovebox which contains the same thing as above. Then when I have the time, I update the spreadsheet. Bottom of the spreadsheet is my TODO list which honestly is very minimal.

To me the most important thing is keeping all the receipts in date/mileage order.

Craig
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Planning, managing, and recording upgrades - Worksheet/Excel Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
I'm starting to work on mine.

It's nice to be able to copy and paste your orders in off the websites even though you'll have to do some re-formatting of the rows and columns.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Planning, managing, and recording upgrades - Worksheet/Excel Reply with quote

SCM wrote:

A friend of mine recently said, "you're not THAT much older than me but the difference in how we use technology is pretty staggering". Laughing Part of it is that I'm surrounded with spreadsheets, databases, computer models, etc. for much of my work and I prefer not to look at screens on my own time.

The work/home dichotomy can be interesting. At work I’m an expert/advanced excel user (plus Tableau, Alteryx, etc.), manage a $250M annual spend and don’t use a single paper file folder (everything I need is on a computer). A decade ago I entered some home budget stuff into Excel and lost interest after a few months. All of my vehicle records (decades of history for several vehicles, appraisals, etc.) are in manilla file folders. I’d like to enter that data into Excel, visualize timelines, total historical costs, forecast future costs, etc. but I’ve never gotten around to it. My digital record keeping is limited to notes. Maybe someday. Very Happy

Thanks for a good thread full of ideas!

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Planning, managing, and recording upgrades - Worksheet/Excel Reply with quote

Lol... I haven't a clue on the in's & out's of Excel. I can't even get it to auto calculate, but I've bumbled into making forms of inventories and log books 😂

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Planning, managing, and recording upgrades - Worksheet/Excel Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
Lol... I haven't a clue on the in's & out's of Excel. I can't even get it to auto calculate, but I've bumbled into making forms of inventories and log books 😂

I think this has to do with our interest in learning. A person may have no interest in knowing excel until it supports an activity one is dedicated to. Then this learning might actually become a bit of fun.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: