Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Spare Tire Rack 215/70R/16 Stock Location
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare Tire Rack 215/70R/16 Stock Location Reply with quote

Ehh i don't care about looks. If it means the product will adjust more for custom fit, then do that imo
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare Tire Rack 215/70R/16 Stock Location Reply with quote

What he said ^^^. Looks not important. What's important is not to reduce flow to radiator and back and that I have a spare when shit happens. I can be in kofa in a week plus.
No freakin at the river is a downer but I'll do. This is the desert after all.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare Tire Rack 215/70R/16 Stock Location Reply with quote

AZ Landshaper wrote:
No freakin at the river is a downer but I'll do. This is the desert after all.

Whew. Very Happy Cool

— Colin Chapman

Last edited by E1 on Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare Tire Rack 215/70R/16 Stock Location Reply with quote

This is really great. I’m pretty sure I can make it work with my CLK wheel so I’m definitely interested in the final price.
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare Tire Rack 215/70R/16 Stock Location Reply with quote

Ok, I do have a day job but have done a bit more design work. . .
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The rack now has 2" of vertical adjustment to insure it will fit the widest range of tires and rims. Centered in the slots it would fit my 215/70R-16.
The two bolts are Class 10.9, 8 mm. The nuts are self-locking class 10.
Two stainless roll pins will need to be driven into the rod ends at the front hinge as cotters won't clear the plate when it rotates. Stainless cotters in the rear hinge.

FWIW, total weight is about 5 lbs. The stock pan weighs 12.6 which is more than I thought.

I have drawings out for quote to cut the parts= profiles. The brake-work, welding and other stuff I will do here using fixtures.
I also sent out files to see what galvanizing the bits might cost. VW galvanized the original and I believe it was for good reason.

Once I get the quotes back, I should be able to firm up the price.

Thanks for your patience.

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare Tire Rack 215/70R/16 Stock Location Reply with quote

Wow Jim, that's a ton of R&D improvements in a very short time. Very impressive.

Happy to hear it's lighter, too, and hope you sell a ton of them!

— Colin Chapman
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare Tire Rack 215/70R/16 Stock Location Reply with quote

E1, thanks for keeping this alive.
Plenty of the ideas were from members contributing to this post and I believe we may have another great upgrade to our machines. Adjustable, fold-able, ship-able, non-rust-able, and hopefully affordable to everyone who needs one.

I hope to hear back from the galvanizing outfits tomorrow, and that's all I'm waiting for to get this turned from software to steel.

BTW E1, I doubt the AZ meetup is going to work out for my wife and I as I won't have any units to bring that soon. Hopefully, I'll be bending, welding and shipping around that time.

Cheers!
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare Tire Rack 215/70R/16 Stock Location Reply with quote

True enough, my bad for not including others' creative input here! Embarassed

Turns out we may not be done at the dentist's by then, either. No worries, next time, we'll look forward to that -- and for your product release! -- and for whatever else might be rolling around up there...

I get a sense there's no end to how our vans can be improved with thoughts and actions like yours, and the collective input from the community.

All the Best.

— Colin Chapman
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare Tire Rack 215/70R/16 Stock Location Reply with quote

For those that are/were interested, the oversize tire rack design is complete, Steel, coating and hardware is ordered, and parts are being cut for 20 units.

I plan to build it as designed and test it on my Westy - replacing the welded one I already made. Once I'm confident in it, I'll let everyone know.
I found out galvanizing is way too expensive and would fill the hols in the rods - even the bores of the welded tubes on the front bracket!

I found a grey polyurethane coating that has stainless steel in it. Says it protects from salt water.
Price delivered will be in the 170 range.

I'll keep you posted.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare Tire Rack 215/70R/16 Stock Location Reply with quote

Nice work! I may have missed it but I believe this will NOT accommodate a GW 16 x 7.5 wheel. Is that correct? If it does accommodate it I’ll likely buy one and have a 14” steel wheel with 1 yr old spare tire for sale.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare Tire Rack 215/70R/16 Stock Location Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
Nice work! I may have missed it but I believe this will NOT accommodate a GW 16 x 7.5 wheel. Is that correct? If it does accommodate it I’ll likely buy one and have a 14” steel wheel with 1 yr old spare tire for sale.

Thanks,
I believe it WILL- (edit - wont) fit with a 16 x 7.5 GW wheel. That's why I made it adjustable as there are several who have the same issue. Edit - the tire sits on the cross-brace and the shift rod is above - nothing I can do about that Sad

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I am running those rims on all four corners as well but my spare is on a 7" wide steel rim. As I only needed to increase the capacity 1/2" more, this seemed like a good way to go. There may also be narrower applications or situations where someone needs a bit more due to radiator hose routing and such.

As soon as I build the first one, I'll install it and try one of my GW 7.5 tires and report back. It may be a few weeks as some of my material is coming from the Midwest - apparently on a slow boat Shocked

Last edited by Gizmoman on Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare Tire Rack 215/70R/16 Stock Location Reply with quote

Sign me up. Very Happy

— Colin Chapman
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Spare Tire Rack 215/70R/16 Stock Location Reply with quote

Hi Gizmoman,
I like this! How are you taking orders? I'd like to get a hold of one of these.
Thanks GreggK
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Spare Tire Rack 215/70R/16 Stock Location Reply with quote

GreggK wrote:
Hi Gizmoman,
I like this! How are you taking orders? I'd like to get a hold of one of these.
Thanks GreggK

No worries - I'll make as many as needed. I'm trying to figure out how to set up an E-bay store so I can ship internationally and you can use Pay-Pal or the credit card of your choice. I'm a bit off when it comes to this sort of stuff so we'll see how it goes.
Worst case scenario is sending a Pay-Pal link but I know that some folks don't care for Pay-Pal. Also, this posting is for general Vanagon Q and A and getting feedback. I don't want to use it for purchasing and I know the moderators don't want that either Smile I do appreciate knowing there's interest though Wink
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Spare Tire Rack 215/70R/16 Stock Location Reply with quote

Any thoughts on developing a steering shaft protector as part of this solution?
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Spare Tire Rack 215/70R/16 Stock Location Reply with quote

Gizmoman, I really like how your spare carrier design has evolved to include depth adjustment to solve the 7.5" GW alloy need. Really like your animated gif too. I hope you get rich and retire early.. lol

baltik wrote:
steering shaft protector

good idea

here is the competition, for price point info
http://www.van-cafe.com/search?noheadings=1&keywords=steering+shaft+protector
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare Tire Rack 215/70R/16 Stock Location Reply with quote

baltik wrote:
Any thoughts on developing a steering shaft protector as part of this solution?

I don't believe a steering shaft protector will be required but I'll take photos of the area once I build the 1st one. I also have a snake camera that will allow me to show the relationship between the installed spare and the red hoses. My van has stock steering (it's electric power but that's all under the dash). The prototype rack I am running with now puts the tire quite clear of the shaft. I don't know if the stock power steering would be an issue or not - haven't looked at one yet. If anyone know if the steering shaft location is different between a manual VS power, let me know.

Also, any tire over 26.5" in diameter will need a tad bit of frame grinding. I hope to include some reference on how and where in the instructions if I can figure out a good way to explain it.

I am learning why things cost more that it appears they should - especially when your not making them by the thousands. I spent the day setting up an E-bay store and ordering the custom sized boxes and stuff to protect everything inside. I also ordered a new gun for my MiG welder to be dam sure every weld is perfect and I'm almost out of Argon mix Shocked So far there's a bunch of folks making money on these already and I haven't even built one yet.
All said and done, I won't be retiring anytime soon Wink
BoiseBusBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare Tire Rack 215/70R/16 Stock Location Reply with quote

Gizoman, I think I may be interested as well.

I just finished upgrades to the shift lever and went to put my spare back in the clam shell. Noticed the spare was about 1/2 inflated, so added air. Then quickly realized why it was deflated as I can no longer get it closed.

What I don't know is the size of my spare and rim so I need to look into those details. I have the GoWesty wheel upgrade, but I don't think the spare is on the same rim. I never looked at it before (thankfully!).

I would be more interested if I didn't have to spend more money on a steering shaft protector.

Just wanted to let you know I just read the entire thread and think this may be an upgrade I need! Thanks for your work.
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare Tire Rack 215/70R/16 Stock Location Reply with quote

BoiseBusBoy wrote:
Gizoman, I think I may be interested as well.

I just finished upgrades to the shift lever and went to put my spare back in the clam shell. Noticed the spare was about 1/2 inflated, so added air. Then quickly realized why it was deflated as I can no longer get it closed.

What I don't know is the size of my spare and rim so I need to look into those details. I have the GoWesty wheel upgrade, but I don't think the spare is on the same rim. I never looked at it before (thankfully!).

I would be more interested if I didn't have to spend more money on a steering shaft protector.

Just wanted to let you know I just read the entire thread and think this may be an upgrade I need! Thanks for your work.

Thanks all for your patience. I just spent a week making fixtures for the two weldments, beefing up my press-brake to handle 11 gauge, making a bender for the LH/RH rods and so-on. I even made a fixture to bend the loop of the gusset I show in some of the later screenshots. I get a kick out of this kind of stuff (hence my screen name).
Still waiting for the rods I ordered two weeks ago - there was a small problem but it's solved now and I should have them early next week.

Next phase is to build one, Pint and install it, take plenty of photos, make a manual, etc.

My new eBay site is up and as soon as they are available, I'll let you know.

Jim
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare Tire Rack 215/70R/16 Stock Location Reply with quote

Gizmoman wrote:
I even made a fixture to bend the loop of the gusset I show in some of the later screenshots. I get a kick out of this kind of stuff (hence my screen name).

Jim

If you’re referring to the gusset on the front catch, I’ll say that was one of the pieces that caught my eye on the drawings. It’s a neat little piece that speaks to a bit more effort in design and execution. Reminds me of time spent observing stuff in my dad’s Tool & Die/CNC EDM shop. Well done.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: