Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thanks VW dealership! They installed tires under rated for load
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roby466
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Thanks VW dealership! They installed tires under rated for load Reply with quote

I purchased a 2003 EV in Buffalo and drove it back here. The car was sold with brand new all season tires but as I was going to drive 1200 miles in winter condition I purchased a set of new winter tires. I was looking at the new all season that they put on the car at first and they are rated 97t for load. That has 44psi max pressure and 1609lbs load at that pressure.
What do I do? Do I put them on for the summer and see or will they fail? Is that dangerous?
Thanks for the advice. I can't really go back as I am now in Canada.
Thanks
David
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks VW dealership! They installed tires under rated for load Reply with quote

Do you regularly drive with loads near the max weight limits, in either extreme heat or cold? The T-series vehicles were/are globally designed to carry very large loads in extreme temperature ranges. Their load ratings are designated very conservatively to reflect extreme ranges that most of us will never even remotely approach when using these vans here in NA. I wouldn't worry about it in the least.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Roby466
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks VW dealership! They installed tires under rated for load Reply with quote

Interesting, I guess that's right they might be rated for much more, especially with the GLS vs the camper version. Extreme heat, probably not, extreme cold, yep, but I have proper winter tires for that with proper load index.
I remember our old 94 GLS had a tire fail (ballooned on the sidewall) after a year or so and it had massively under rated load index so that's why it makes me worry a bit but it was also probably under inflated. (dealers are not too good to inflate them... when I got the car, they were all at 28psi)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks VW dealership! They installed tires under rated for load Reply with quote

Dave...don’t sweat it and drive them like a sensible person and they will be fine. Ignore chest thumping from people here. Some think tires should be replaced every 5 years. They bought Skylab insurance, too.
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks VW dealership! They installed tires under rated for load Reply with quote

Here's my data point on 94t/99/102 tires and long hot road trips from this thread(they failed). I would guess 97 would possibly survive a thrashing like this and should be fine for normal driving. I went with the eNtyre 102 for replacements because we are headed out for more hot long road trips but the 99 Falcons we had briefly were a more comfortable ride.:

Quote:
Tire comment and question:

We just completed a 4100 mile road trip in our 2001 weekender from the PNW to Utah and Arizona, average temps were over 100 for 2 weeks straight. On the way home we drove 17 hours straight from Moab UT to Bellingham Wa. 4 passengers, lots of gear.

During this 17 straight drive, we developed a vibration with about 700 miles to go; looking at the tires I could feel the heat build up and see them starting to wear oddly; assuming I knocked my alignment out but it turned out to be my Toyo Eclipse 215/60-16 (load index 94t) were failing. Also note that I followed the door placard for tire pressures which exceeded the tire rating by about 7psi (I inflated to 50 in the front, 45 in the rear; tire max psi was 44).

I went to discount tire and the only suitable tire they had was a Falken PRO G4 215/60-16 99V XL (Load index 99) so I had them put on.

After reading it seems general consensus is that al load rating of 99 is probably safe (rated at 1709lbs) but might suffer some on the durability; these are warrantied for 65k. It also seems general consensus is to buy a load rated tire of 102 for the Eurovan Weekender.

The most popular all season touring tire seems to be the Nokian eNTYRE 225/60-16 (load 102). I assume this fits the stock 2001 EV wheel without rubbing since many people are talking about using this tire without mentioning issues?

The question, I just purchased these Falken at DiscountTire and have a 30 exchange option; they can order the Nokian eNTYRE if I'd like. I think the Nokian might even be cheaper so it should not cost me much if anything.

We will be doing more road trips in the future, I'm trying to decide if I should go back and have my tires swapped for the Nokian eNTYRE 225/60-16 (102) or just stick with the Falken PRO G4 215/60-16 99V XL. Would you folks suggest I do?
mvaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks VW dealership! They installed tires under rated for load Reply with quote

everyone will put under-rated tires on these vans.. you have to fight with retailers to put the proper load rated tires on.

i had several rapid failures (side walls just completely disintegrated) before i started wondering what the deal was and read about the load rating.

i do drive pretty hard.
Roby466
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks VW dealership! They installed tires under rated for load Reply with quote

Alright! I sold the under rated tires and told the dealership to cover the difference between the sale price and cost of the proper tires installed. They agreed so I will be good!
I'm now driving on a set of Nokian eNtyre 2.0 rated 102H so I'm good!
Thanks for the advices
Cheers
David
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks VW dealership! They installed tires under rated for load Reply with quote

I went with a bit bigger tire on the '95 after a lift. 225/70/16. Hankook Dynapro AT-M 103T.

235/60/16 is a popular size but I wanted that bit extra .5" ground clearance. Hey, any little bit is fine with me.

A 103 tire I think has thicker, stronger plies, therefore more durable offroad going through rocks. That means you can air down some for better traction.

I wish I had a later model with traction control, one-wheel drive is a pain.
'03 EVC Winnie, 2018, Sold
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: