Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Restoring Engine Tin
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Restoring Engine Tin Reply with quote

Yep, did a search, but either;
A) my search skills/terms suck, or,
B) I'm not patient enough to read through threads that look unrelated, or lastly,
C) there just isn't a good thread on this subject which brings all the best information/expertise, mistakes and successes together in one place.

SO; please feel free to link to other threads, but my basic question is this:

If you have half-way decent engine tin (fan shroud, deflector tin, aprons, etc.), but you want then to look good and correct, what are the tried and true methods?

Do you have them media-blasted, or might that potentially cause damage?
Do you just keep the "patina" look even if they are rusty?
...and then to make them look good, what paint (some kind of high-temp. paint?) do you use, do you need to primer first, etc. ect. ?!?!???

What would be wonderful for folks like me who, with new (to us) projects on our buses had some pretty clear steps/explanations.

Hopefully later this year I'll tearing my engine's peripherals off to address a blocked heat-riser.
I figure I might as well make the tin pretty while I'm at it.

THANK YOU in advance to anyone who wants to start up a thread of instructions on this subject (or links if it's already posted well elsewhere).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring Engine Tin Reply with quote

KISS by just doing a search for "Engine tin". Laughing Check the "Search title only (Recommended, faster)" box there to keep down too many results. Tried letting it search all the forums at once. That got like 30 pages of results, too many. So tried just the Split Bus forum, with no real winners showing by reading just the titles. Then tried the "Beetle-1958-67" and got some promising titles there in only three pages of results.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc..._chars=200

Good info there about the PC process and others. If you use the PC, do have them marine zinc primer the parts first then color paint over that. The marine primer keeps rust from forming quickly in and chip or scratch areas, and keeps it out from crawling under the coating against the metal.

Suggest searching the Paint and Bodywork Forum for more info...
Alex1976
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring Engine Tin Reply with quote

I don't know that I did it "right" but I'm very happy with my engine tin clean up results. I did my own DIY electrolysis. The process is pretty easy and well documented on various youtube videos.

Here's the youtube video I found most informative.

Link

I do recommend you purchasing a manual battery charger for more power and more effective rust removal. Here's a link to the one I eventually purchased on Amazon for much better results.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009IBJBM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I use this method for removing rust on anthing that's too big for grinding. I plug it in and leave it alone to do the work. I even used an old plastic kiddy swimming pool to clean my dismantled seat frames and it worked beautifully.

Hope this helps!!

Follow me on Instagram, where I post a lot of bus progress. https://www.instagram.com/quietlyscheming/

===============================
“Don't be a dick.” --Wheaton's Law, Wil Wheaton
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring Engine Tin Reply with quote

Last time I sandblasted/powdercoated the tin (doing repairs before the PC) and they came out great and have held up well.

Last edited by srfndoc on Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:21 am; edited 1 time in total
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring Engine Tin Reply with quote

I do the following:

1. Degrease
2. Straighten/repair/weld any problems
3. Sandblast to bare metal
4. Paint directly on the bare metal with Eastwood Chassis Black satin, at least two coats.

This seems to withstand all the heat on a properly functioning engine, and nicely replicates the look of OEM tin. Tin I did years ago still looks nice even after several thousand miles.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring Engine Tin Reply with quote

Alex1976 wrote:
I don't know that I did it "right" but I'm very happy with my engine tin clean up results. I did my own DIY electrolysis.

Brilliant, I feel like I just crawled out from under a rock. Gets where blasting and wire brushes can't. I think I will try it on the iron table from an otherwise perfect table saw that I picked from my neighbor's curbside the other day.
Thanks for that link.
orangebug60guy
Twin #1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring Engine Tin Reply with quote

I use purple power, 000 steel wool, the garden hose, and old towels. It takes a while but you save most of the OG paint and they’re nice and clean. Wear gloves. For an added punch bring it to the local DIY car wash with the pressure washer and hit it with the engine degreaser.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring Engine Tin Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
I do the following:

1. Degrease
2. Straighten/repair/weld any problems
3. Sandblast to bare metal
4. Paint directly on the bare metal with Eastwood Chassis Black satin, at least two coats.

This seems to withstand all the heat on a properly functioning engine, and nicely replicates the look of OEM tin. Tin I did years ago still looks nice even after several thousand miles.

Ditto except i use this paint. Holds up well.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-Specialty-1.../100645381
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring Engine Tin Reply with quote

They also sell it in a rattle can, which is what I'm planning on using.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-Specialty-1.../202315061

I just finished glass-bead blasting all my tins and am about to spray the tins
I'll keep you posted.

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
otis_bartleh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring Engine Tin Reply with quote

I went with a more ghetto method, sanded the tinware down with a wire-wheel in a drill, and sandpaper, hit them with VHT high temp black wrinkle paint, threw them in the oven for a bit and done... It may not be pro, but I like the way the came out, and that's all that matters...
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring Engine Tin Reply with quote

orangebug60guy wrote:
I use purple power, 000 steel wool, the garden hose, and old towels. It takes a while but you save most of the OG paint and they’re nice and clean. Wear gloves. For an added punch bring it to the local DIY car wash with the pressure washer and hit it with the engine degreaser.

I do this but let any tin that fits in a big tupper ware tub with high - test degreaser first.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring Engine Tin Reply with quote

DadaCheese wrote:
If you have half-way decent engine tin (fan shroud, deflector tin, aprons, etc.), but you want then to look good and correct, what are the tried and true methods?

I clean mine in strong Tide, rinse. Sand with 320 grit everywhere. Spray with PlastiKote 203 or 215 from Amazon. Three passes on the paint allowing to quick touch dry before each pass. Let dry for a week in sun or warm place.
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring Engine Tin Reply with quote

-glassbead bare -gets any rust out or pitted areas..
-acid etch the bare metal
-scuff
-paint with choice of color / paint desired.

matte/flat/semi-gloss/gloss/
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring Engine Tin Reply with quote

Drop off at the blaster.
Repair any damage.
Paint with:

Direct to metal. No primer.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring Engine Tin Reply with quote

Bulli Klinik wrote:
Drop off at the blaster.
Repair any damage.
Paint with:

Direct to metal. No primer.

Sweet. Makes sense to use no primer.
Just what is ALK-200?
closest thing to old time enamel. perhaps?
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring Engine Tin Reply with quote

Granted my single cab doesn't get as much use as it should and I'm not bothered about a show quality engine, but I just primered the tinware and used rattle-can satin black paint a couple of years ago. No blistering due to heat or ill-effects from petrol or oils yet.

I don't think special paints or powder coat are necessary so long a you've done decent prep work (which isn't to say you shouldn't use them if you like the look - I like the results of that enamel above).

You should only need high temperature paints for fires/log burners, engine blocks, exhausts and suchlike though.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring Engine Tin Reply with quote

slave1pilot wrote:
They also sell it in a rattle can, which is what I'm planning on using.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-Specialty-1.../202315061

I just finished glass-bead blasting all my tins and am about to spray the tins
I'll keep you posted.

I haven't been able to paint yet due to rain here in the desert screwing up my plans LOL

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring Engine Tin Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:

Sweet. Makes sense to use no primer.
Just what is ALK-200?
closest thing to old time enamel. perhaps?
Al

It's an alkyd enamel. Pretty much the same product as Rustoleum (in the can). This is a commercial version from PPG. You can use it straight out of the can like Rustoleum or add a hardener to it at 16:1 which makes it chemical resistant.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mgwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring Engine Tin Reply with quote

Looking for advice, so I am resurrecting this thread.
First, best method for rust removal, since can't sandblast inside housing well. Chemical/phosphoric? Electrolysis?
Second, how to get interior of housing coated to prevent further rust.
Want to do this right, these 181 shrouds are almost unicorns.
Thanks!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring Engine Tin Reply with quote

Suggest electrolysis, followed with phosphoric acid treatment before painting, or electrolysis, and have it marine primered that has a zinc content and semi gloss black at your local powder coater. The latter holds up much better over time.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: